The Stations of the Cross by St. John Mary Vianney
THE STATIONS OF THE CROSS

[Image: Jesus-Death-on-the-Cross-with-Mary-at-th...50x295.jpg]

Written by St. John Mary Vianney
Taken from the book “Le Saint Cure d’Ars et le Sacrement de Penitence”
(The Saint Cure of Ars and the Sacrament of Penance)
By Mgr. H. Convert

[Image: cure1.jpg]

[Image: station-cross1.jpg]

I STATION:  JESUS CHRIST IS CONDEMNED TO DEATH

V. We adore Thee, O Jesus, and we praise Thee.

A. Because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world.

Jesus Christ.  My child, I went through Judea and Galilee for three years; I comforted the afflicted, healed the sick, preached the Gospel; I did well to everyone. And now the enraged Jews beg Pilate to condemn Me to death. Pilate obeys and delivers Me to the executioners.

The faithful.  The Jews are ungrateful and wicked!

Jesus Christ.  They are indeed. But do you know, my child, why I allow them to ask for My death? Because you have sinned. If I wanted to, I could break My bonds and become free again. I'd rather die to deliver you from hell.

The faithful.  O Jesus, Thou art infinite goodness! It is I who has offended Thee, and it is Thee who suffered to merit my forgiveness! Grant me the grace to hate my sins with all my heart and to weep them all my life.

Our Father.  Hail Mary.  Glory Be.
Have mercy on us, O Lord, have mercy on us.
Eternal rest give unto them. O Lord.
And let perpetual light shine upon them.
May they rest in peace.
[Image: c237ec6fde6547cce9902b34a085dd2b.jpg]

II STATION:  JESUS CHRIST IS MADE TO CARRY HIS CROSS

Jesus Christ. My child, I already have bruised and bleeding shoulders and the Jews still command Me to carry a heavy cross.

I accept it gently: receive likewise without complaining all the evils that you will have to endure.

The faithful. O Jesus, Thou art innocent and I am a sinner, it is I alone who should suffer. Give me the strength to patiently endure the sorrows of this life, the courage to do penance for my faults and the happiness of seeing Thee in heaven.

May they rest in peace. 

[Image: 58919e679d42981dc2c7d5f7191e47b9.jpg]

III STATION:  JESUS CHRIST FALLS THE FIRST TIME

Jesus Christ.  My child, I fell to the ground. During the scourging and the crowning of thorns, I lost a lot of blood; I am weak and My cross is heavy: I cannot walk anymore. And look! By helping me to get up, the executioners insult Me and mistreat Me.

I fell, because you do not correct yourself. I'm expiating your bad habits.

Do you want my child, to help Me to rise and reduce my pain? Make the resolution to confess all your sins with true contrition, to avoid dangerous opportunities, and to live more Christian-like in the future.

The faithful.  I promise Thee, O Jesus. But my weakness is great, I cannot alone resist temptations. If Thou do not sustain me, I will offend Thee again. Give me Thy grace, O my God, convert me and save me.

May they rest in peace. 

[Image: sc04b.jpg?format=1500w]

IV STATION:  JESUS CHRIST MEETS HIS HOLY MOTHER

Jesus Christ.  My child, My heart is heartbroken with pain. My Mother, My good Mother is there ... the executioners overwhelm Me with insults and drag Me inhumanly: She sees it, and her affliction is immense. She would like to deliver Me; but She loves you, She knows that I must suffer and die to redeem you; She will therefore follow Me on Calvary.

The faithful.  O Jesus, O Mary, forgive me! Thy sadness gives me pity!  Do not allow Me to part from Thee. Let the wicked mock me and persecute me to excite me to sin: I will serve Thee and love Thee until my last sigh, and I will know how to suffer everything to remain faithful to Thee.

May they rest in peace. 

[Image: 602516683c0b5c66bbd2f755753571e6.jpg]

V STATION:  SIMON THE CYRENEAN STATION HELPS JESUS CHRIST TO WEAR HIS CROSS

Jesus Christ.  My child, it is I who created the world; I am the powerful and strong God. I could alone carry My cross to Calvary.  But I allow a man to help Me teach you to suffer with Me.

The faithful.  O Jesus, I bless Thee! to suffer for Thee will be all my joy! Annoyances, sickness, work, obedience, I want to love everything to please Thee, O my God. Give me, I beg Thee, a thirst every day, for greater mortifications and sufferings.

May they rest in peace.

[Image: 8b1184f4f0c3e89f5fe9a85cb943f902.jpg]

VI  STATION: STATION A PIOUS WOMAN WIPES THE FACE OF JESUS CHRIST

Jesus Christ.  My child, do you see this woman crossing the crowd of soldiers? She does not fear anything because she loves Me. She saw Me covered with spittle, dust, sweat, and blood, immediately approached to wipe My face and comfort Me. My child do you want to imitate her?

The faithful.  Yes, O Jesus, I want it. My God!  Who would recognize Thee? Thee, the infinite beauty, Thee whom the angels contemplate with indescribable joy, Thou have the face bruised and defiled, Thou have become like a leper, an earth worm! And it is my sins that have thus disfigured Thee! What shall I do, O my God? I will entreat Thee to forgive me all my offenses, to give me a real contrition, to set my heart in love with Thy holy love: by my examples and advice I will excite my neighbor to serve Thee with fidelity, I will pray for the conversion of sinners. My Jesus, that all men know, adore, love, and console Thee for the outrages Thou have endured to redeem us.

May they rest in peace.

[Image: Jesus-Falls-The-Second-Time.jpg]

VII  STATION: JESUS CHRIST FALLS THE SECOND TIME

Jesus Christ. My child, I fell a second time; My crown of thorns has sunk in My head and the soldiers are insulting Me and still striking Me. I suffer, because I love you infinitely.

If you have often offended Me, come ask Me for forgiveness.  I suffer to erase your sins.
If you have sorrows, do not be discouraged; we must suffer to merit heaven.

The faithful. O Jesus, my faults are many, but I have a real regret. Thou art all merciful and kindness itself. I firmly hope Thou forgive me. Give me the grace to die rather than to offend Thee now.

May they rest in peace.
[Image: station8.jpg]

VIII  STATION:  JESUS CHRIST CONSOLES THE WOMEN OF ISRAEL WHO FOLLOW HIM

The faithful.  O Jesus, how good Thou art! The women of Jerusalem who follow Thee, have compassion on Thee, they cry, and Thou forgot Thy sufferings to console them.

Jesus Christ.  My child, mourn your sins, do penance, practice your duties bravely and I will also fill your heart of consolation and joy. Those who do not love Me cannot be happy, neither in this life nor in the other.

The faithful. Lord, I will obey Thee.  For too long I have sought happiness away from Thee. I want from today to be pious, humble, gentle and chaste, to enjoy Thy friendship and deserve to contemplate Thee in the glory of paradise.

May they rest in peace.

[Image: Jesus-Falls-The-Third-Time.jpg]

IX STATION:  JESUS CHRIST FALLS THE THIRD TIMES

Jesus Christ.  Oh!  That men are ungrateful and wicked! For them I was scourged and crowned with thorns, for them I carry this heavy cross and soon I'll be nailed to it; for them I endured all the insults, and they do not love Me! I suffer horribly for them to merit heaven, and yet, I know many will go to hell! My soul is deeply sad, I have no more strength; therefore, I fall under My cross a third time.

The faithful.  O my Jesus! A thousand times, sorry! It is I who am the ungrateful one, who has so often offended Thee, I who have loved Thee so little. My God, sorry!  How many times, have I seriously disobeyed Thee and have deserved hell. If I had died after my sin, I would be burning in the eternal flames and would be forever separated from Thee. My God, I thank Thee for conserving my life, I thank Thee for forgiving me!  No, Thou will not have suffered unnecessarily for me! For with the help of Thy grace, O my God, I want to serve Thee, to love Thee, to bless you always on earth to possess Thee in heaven.

May they rest in peace.
[Image: station10.jpg]

X STATION: JESUS CHRIST IS STRIPPED OF HIS GARMENTS

Jesus Christ. See, my child, how much I suffer! My clothes are stuck against my bruised flesh, and the executioners tore them of me violently. All my wounds are reopened and the blood flows abundantly.

I suffer so, because you have lost grace by committing mortal sin.

I suffer for God to forgive you and for your soul to become pure again.

I suffer in silence to teach you never to murmur.

The faithful. O Jesus! I thank Thee for so much love! What a misfortune was mine! I had sanctifying grace, my soul was beautiful and similar to Thee, the Angels greeted her as their sister, the Blessed Trinity lived in it with delight, I was Thy beloved child, I had the right to see Thee in paradise. I sinned, and immediately I lost everything ..., grace, innocence, Thy friendship, heaven. My God, I am ashamed and I cry! And to return all these goods to me, O Jesus, it is necessary that Thou let them strip Thee of Thy clothing. Give me grace by receiving absolution, remembering what Thou hast suffered to deserve it and no longer offending Thee mortally.

Our Father. Hail Mary. Glory Be.

And let perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace.

[Image: stat11.jpg]

XI STATION: JESUS CHRIST IS NAILED ON THE CROSS

Jesus Christ. Look My child: I am lying on the Cross; the executioners ask Me My hands, I tend them; My feet, I give them. They sink big nails with the hammer. At the same time, My flesh is torn, My bones are dislocated, My nerves and veins ruptured, and I am overtaken by the most ardent thirst. t is to expiate your disobediences and those of all men that I suffer thus.

The faithful. O Jesus! That Thou art good and that I am miserable! I, poor creature, I have so much trouble to submit to Thy adorable will, I obey so slowly and in such a bad mood! And Thou, sovereign Master of heaven and earth, we ask for Thy feet and hands to be pierce, and Thou give them freely, without resistance, and for three hours Thou remain nailed to the cross, because it is the will of Thy Father. What a lesson, my God! I understand it: he who does not obey cannot be Thy disciple nor hope to go to heaven, and it took the obedience of a God to expiate all of our revolts. O Jesus, sorry! I take the resolution to obey Thee always promptly and with joy, in order to be like Thee and to please Thee.

Our Father. Hail Mary. Glory Be.

May they rest in peace.
[Image: stat12.jpg]

XII  STATION:  JESUS CHRIST DIES ON THE CROSS

Jesus Christ.  Behold I am crucified between two thieves. Listen, My child, My last recommendations:

I ask My Father for forgiveness of My executioners: forgive even those who offend you.
I entrust My Mother to Saint John: always take good care of Her as your own.
But I want Mary to be your mother as well: honor Her and pray Her every day of your life.

I promise paradise to the good thief: trust your sins are many, but I forgive you if you repent sincerely.  My feet are tied to wait for you; arms extended to receive you; head bowed to give you the kiss of peace and reconciliation; soon My side will be opened and My heart wounded to spread all My graces upon you. Do not be afraid, you will be saved.

And now I'm dying. Do not forget Me, My child, always love your Savior and your God.

The faithful.  O Jesus! My love! Thou die for me, I want to live and die for Thee; always will I remember the words that Thou spoke to me on the cross.

May they rest in peace.

[Image: station13.jpg]

XIII  STATION:  JESUS CHRIST IS DESCENDED FROM THE CROSS AND GIVEN TO HIS MOTHER

The faithful.  O My Mother! How great is Thy affliction! Thou contemplate in Thy arms Jesus, Thy dear Son: His face is pale, bloody and disfigured, His eyes are extinguished, His mouth is closed; His side opened; His feet and hands are pierced. Thou look at it, and Thy soul is filled with sadness.

O My Mother! It is because I offended God that Jesus Christ died and Thou suffer so cruelly. Excuse me, dear Mother! I absolutely hate my faults, and I want to love Thee always, Thee and Thy divine Son.

May they rest in peace.

[Image: station14.jpg?w=584]

XIV STATION:  JESUS CHRIST IS LAID IN THE SEPULCHRE

The faithful.  Sacred body of my Savior, I adore Thee. We put Thee in a sepulcher; I want to hide with Thee. That men forget me and despise me, I consent.

When I work, when I mortify myself, when I do my duty, Thou alone, perhaps, will see it and be content with it: it is enough for me and makes me happy.

To live and resurrect with Thee, it will be necessary to correct me of my faults, to resist my passions, to die to myself: I am ready, O my God.

Thou wished to be placed in a new sepulcher: give me, Jesus, a new heart, a pure heart, a heart adorned with all the virtues, in order to receive Thee with dignity in the Holy Eucharist.

O Jesus, reign in me, now and forever.  Amen.

May they rest in peace.

This is the PDF file of the Stations of the Cross written by St. John Mary Vianney which has been translated from French to English.

.pdf   Stations of the Cross by St. John Mary Vianney.pdf (Size: 627.33 KB / Downloads: 0)