Novena for the Relief of the Poor Souls in Purgatory [1931]
From the same booklet:

THE POOR SOULS IN PURGATORY

A PRAYER
for the Poor Souls for every day of the week.

SUNDAY

O Lord God Almighty, I pray Thee, by the Precious Blood which Thy Divine Son Jesus shed in the garden, deliver the Souls in Purgatory, and especially that Soul amongst them all which is most destitute of spiritual aid; and vouchsafe to bring it to Thy glory, there to praise and bless Thee forever. Amen.

Our Father. Hail Mary. De Profundis.

MONDAY

O Lord God Almighty, I pray Thee, by the Precious Blood which Thy Divine Son Jesus shed in His cruel scourging, deliver the Souls in Purgatory, and that Soul especially amongst them all which is nearest to its entrance into Thy glory; that so it may forthwith begin to praise and bless Thee forever. Amen.

TUESDAY

O Lord God Almighty, I pray Thee, by the Precious Blood which Thy Divine Son Jesus shed in His bitter crowning with thorns, deliver the Souls in Purgatory, and in particular that one amongst them all which would be the last to depart out of those pains, that it may not tarry so long a time before it comes to praise Thee in Thy glory and bless Thee forever. Amen.

WEDNESDAY

O Lord God Almighty, I pray Thee, by the Precious Blood which Thy Divine Son Jesus shed in the streets of Jerusalem, when He carried the Cross upon His sacred shoulders, deliver the Souls in Purgatory and especially that Soul which is richest in merits before Thee that so, in that throne of glory which awaits it, it may magnify Thee and bless Thee forever. Amen.

THURSDAY

O Lord God Almighty, I pray Thee, by the Precious Body and Blood of Thy Divine Son Jesus, which He gave with His Own hands upon the eve of His Passion to His beloved Apostles to be their meat and drink, and which He left to His whole Church to be a perpetual sacrifice and the life-giving food of His Own faithful people, deliver the Souls in Purgatory, and especially that one which was most devoted to this mystery of infinite love, that it may with the same Thy Divine Son, and with Thy Holy Spirit, ever praise Thee for Thy love therein in eternal glory. Amen.

FRIDAY

O Lord God Almighty, I pray Thee by the Precious Blood which Thy Divine Son shed on this day upon the wood of the Cross, especially from His most sacred hands and feet, deliver the Souls in Purgatory and in particular that Soul for which I am most bound to pray; that no neglect of mine may hinder it from praising Thee in Thy glory and blessing Thee forever. Amen.

SATURDAY

O Lord God Almighty, I beseech Thee. by the Precious Blood which gushed forth from the side of Thy Divine Son Jesus in the sight of, and to the extreme pain of His Most Holy Mother, deliver the Souls in Purgatory, and especially that one amongst them all which was the most devout to her; that it may soon attain unto Thy glory, there to praise Thee in her, and her in Thee, world without end. Amen.

(100 days once a day. Leo XII., Noy 18, 1826.)

SHORT AND EFFICACIOUS PRAYER
For the Faithful Departed

O most compassionate Jesus, have mercy on the Souls, detained in Purgatory, for whose redemption Thou didst take upon Thee our nature and endure a bitter death. Mercifully hear their sighs, look with pity on the tears, which they now shed before Thee, and by virtue of Thy Passion, release them from the pains due unto their sins. O most merciful Jesus, let Thy Precious Blood reach down into Purgatory and refresh and revive the Captive Souls, which suffer there. Stretch forth unto them Thy strong right Hand, and bring them forth into the place of refreshment, light, and peace. Amen.

Blessed Souls! We have prayed for you! We entreat you, who are so dear to God, and so certain of never losing Him, to pray for us miserable sinners, that are in danger of being damned and of losing God forever.

PIOUS EXERCISE

It consists in meditating devoutly on the Passion and in saying for the Souls in Purgatory: Pater and Ave five times and the versicle:

V. Te ergo quaesumus, tuis famulis subveni, quos pretioso sanguine redemisti.
R. We therefore beseech Thee, help Thy servants, whom Thou hast redeemed with Thy Precious Blood.

(300 days Indulgence once a day. A plenary Indulgence If It is said every day during a month. Pius VII. Br., Feb. 8, 1817.)

PRAYER FOR THE DEAD

V. Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine.
R. Et lux perpetua luceat eis.

V. Eternal rest give unto them, O Lord.
R. And let perpetual light shine upon them.

(50 days each time, applicable only to the dead. Leo XIII, Br. March 22, 1902.)

V. Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine.
R. Et lux perpetua luceat eis.
V. Requiescant in pace. R. Amen.

V. Eternal rest give unto them, O Lord.
R. And let perpetual light shine upon them.
V. May they rest in peace. R. Amen.

PRAYER
for the Souls in Purgatory

Almighty God, with Whom do live the Souls of the perfect, and in Whose holy keeping are placed the Souls of those that depart hence in an inferior degree of Thy grace, they being by their imperfect character rendered unworthy of Thy presence, and therefore detained in a state of grief and suspended hopes, as we bless Thee for the Saints already admitted to Thy glory, so we humbly offer our prayers for Thy afflicted servants, who continually wait and sigh for the day of their deliverance. Pardon their sins, supply their want of preparation and wipe away the tears from their eyes, that they may see Thee, and in Thy glorious sight eternally rejoice, through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

HEROIC ACT OF CHARITY

This heroic act of charity in behalf of the Souls in Purgatory consists in the voluntary offering made for their relief, of all our works of satisfaction during life, as well as of all suffrages which may be offered for us after death. This offering we place in the hands of the Blessed Virgin Mary, that she may distribute its merits to those holy Souls whom it is her good pleasure to deliver from the pains of Purgatory.
Let it be understood, however, that we offer hereby only the special and personal portion of the satisfactory merit of our good works, so that we are not prevented from offering our good works, prayers, the Holy Sacrifice of Mass, etc., for other intentions. It is also to be remembered that, though this act is sometimes called a vow, yet it induces no obligation binding under sin.

The following indulgences were granted to those who make this heroic offering: Pope Benedict XIII., Aug. 23, 1728, made the first grant of indulgences for this act. Pius VI, Dec. 12, 1788, afterwards confirmed it, and Pius IX. again renewed and specified the indulgences in a decree dated September 30, 1852, November 20, 1854; Pius X., Feb. 20, 1907.

I. All priests who take this vow, have the indult of a privileged altar, personally, every day of the year, at whatever altar they celebrate Mass for the faithful departed.
II. All the faithful who have made this obligation, can gain a Plenary Indulgence, applicable only to the Souls in Purgatory, every time they receive Holy Communion, provided they visit a church or public oratory and pray according to the intention of His Holiness.
III. All the faithful, who have made this obligation, can apply a Plenary Indulgence to the faithful departed every Monday, by hearing Mass for this intention, provided they go to Holy Communion and visit some church and pray to the intention of the Sovereign Pontiff.
IV. All indulgences granted, or to be granted, even though not stated as applicable to the departed when gained by those who have made this obligation, can be applied to the Souls in Purgatory.
V. For those whose duties prevent their hearing Mass on Monday, the Mass heard on Sunday is sufficient to gain the Indulgence No. III.

For those who do not yet approach the holy table, or who are unable to receive Holy Communion, some other good work may be appointed by confessors, authorized by their respective bishops, to gain the Plenary Indulgence as above.

FORM OF OBLATION

O eternal and most merciful Father, accept the oblation which I make to Thee, in union with the Most Sacred Heart of Thy Divine Son Jesus, of all the merits of the life, sufferings, and death of the same Jesus, our Lord and Savior, in behalf of the Souls, suffering in Purgatory. I offer to Thee, O Heavenly Father, for their deliverance from suffering, for their admission to the joys of Heaven, the infinite merits of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the immense and superabundant merits of the ever-blessed Virgin Mary, of all the holy Martyrs, and of all the Saints in Heaven and on earth.

I offer, also, and resign entirely, in favor of those suffering Souls, all my satisfactory works, and those of others applied to me in life or death, and after my passage to eternity; and in order to render this poor offering of mine more acceptable to Thee, and more beneficial to the Souls for whom I make it, I unite it to the infinte and most pleasing homage which the Divine Heart of Jesus is continually paying to Thy Majesty. I place it in the most pure hands of Mary Immaculate, that she may present it to Thee, as a pleasing holocaust, and distribute according to her good pleasure the graces, favors and relief obtained from Thy infinite mercy.

Note.---It is not necessary to make use of the set formula, since in order to share in the said indulgence no more is required than a heart-felt act of the will.
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre

Messages In This Thread
RE: Novena for the Relief of the Poor Souls in Purgatory [1931] - by Stone - 10-31-2022, 06:07 AM