Every Day with Saint Francis de Sales - February
Every Day with Saint Francis de Sales

Teachings and Examples from the Life of the Saint by Salesiana Publishers

February 7th(page 38)

In every class of society and in every position, we find the reprobate and the elect. Who is he, then, who has no fear, who is sure he will not fall, while he does not give God the service He deserves and does not correspond to the graces proper to his position in life? We see Judas condemned and Matthias elected. Judas received far more graces than Matthias, who was not even called and numbered among the apostles by the Lord, but only elected by the apostles after the Ascension. Nevertheless, Matthias faithfully persevered and died a saintly death, while the miserable Judas, after being an apostle, became an apostate! This gives every one of us reason to fear, in whatever class or condition we find ourselves, because there are dangers everywhere.

(Sermons 58; O. X, pp. 248-251)

On February 7th, 1608, Francis de Sales was busy giving the necessary instructions for the provision of bells and vestments for the churches of Gailllard, Very. Monthoux and other parishes near Geneva in which he had reestablished the Catholic Faith, as is apparent from a letter that a Capuchin Father, Sebastian of Saint John of Morcana, has written: “My Lord, |I willingly leave to carry put the obedience by which you send me to preach in France, but not without a keen sense of regret. If the same obedience would send me one day to corner of your Savoyard vineyard, I would perform my humble ministry with a spirit and indescribable joy under the guidance of your blessing. The bearer of this letter will, in the meantime, give you a most exact account by which you will be able to see how the money you have contributed has been used for the enrichment of the churches. Priestly vestments have been purchased and the rest of the money used to purchase bells for the churches of Gailard, Very Monthoux, Annemasse and Tournay. Your Excellency will doubtless see to their delivery after they have been blessed. I repeat to you, my Lord . . . Lest anything be lacking from your apostolate, take great care of all the churches of God  devastated by Protestants and restored by your labors. I left behind the two portable altars that Your Lordship gave me to hand over to my substitute, so as not to leave sacred things where profane hands can get hold of therm.”

(A.S. II, p. 176)

By observing our state in life faithfully, we make our lives and wills conform to the will of God.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Every Day with Saint Francis de Sales - February - by Hildegard of Bingen - 02-07-2021, 11:41 AM