"The Prophets and Our Times" by Fr. Culleton
PREFACE

My modest attempt to put before modern readers many prophecies which their forefathers used to read has been very graciously accepted. As the orders for copies of the book have exceeded my supply I present this second edition. Readers of the first have expressed regret that the prophecies were not arranged chronologically nor indexed. I have been guided by this constructive criticism.

I am sure that there are still private prophecies which have escaped both me and my past readers. If any new reader knows of any such I would greatly appreciate a communication from him. This would make a third edition as complete as humanly possible.

There has been, of course, some destructive criticism. It has come chiefly from those who read only the title of the book. To those and to all I would say: "If we arrange our things spiritual on the presumption that we are dealing with true prophets and living in the times forecast, but our thing$ material as though it were a waste of time to read this book. we shall find ourselves pleasing God and not making fools out of ourselves before sensible men."

There are many individuals and institutions to whom I am greatly indebted for their kind help with this work. On them I pray God to bestow appropriate blessings.

-Feast of Easter. 1943

INTRODUCTORY CHAPTER

PREAMBLE
     In all times of international or at least widespread strife a number of oracles are brought off musty shelves and the Scriptures are searched to learn, if possible, the divine reasons behind it and its likely outcome. In all such times there is a conflict, more or less pronounced, between good and evil hence often the question: Is this the time of Anti-Christ or at least is it a combat of such tremendous importance in the history of the Christian Church that it has merited pre-mention in the Scriptures1 and the expressions of long buried wise or holy 'men?

In our days there progresses a war, the equal of which has never before disgraced the earth. Is it merely the natural development of war science and the interdependence of nations that makes each succeeding conflict more terrible and extended than its predecessor? Or is this war more sinister because it is a strife "par excellence" of error against truth?

We may feel quite sure that the present world engagement lacks the signs for the end of the world. There is no reason to suspect any modern war lord of being the Anti-Christ. Could the struggle be a type or symbol or even an announcement of the Anti-Christ? Scripture tells us to expect many an Anti-Christ before the real one comes. Many there have been, are, and doubtless will be. For a certainty there are anti Christian leaders and armies in the field today so we must admit that this war comes under the Scripture text: "There shall be many false Christs ... but the end is not yet," but to go farther and say that this conflict is an announcement of the near approach of the Anti-Christ is another question.

1 "We feel that the present hour is a phase of the solemn story of humanity predicted by Christ." Pius XII Radio Address, 11-24-40.

Messages In This Thread
RE: "The Prophets and Our Times" by Fr. Culleton - by Elizabeth - 01-23-2021, 04:32 PM