Second Sunday after Epiphany
Homilies of St. Thomas Aquinas - Second Sunday after Epiphany

HOMILY III. THE LAW OF HOSPITALITY

SECOND SUNDAY AFTER THE EPIPHANY.—(FROM THE EPISTLE.)

Given to hospitality."— Rom. xii. 13.

In this Epistle, which is altogether full of moral precepts, we are exhorted to great hospitality, to which four motives ought chiefly to move us. Firstly, the command of the Lord. Secondly, the example of the saints. Thirdly, the loss which is sustained by not exercising hospitality. Fourthly, the manifold advantage in its exercise. 

I. On the first head it is to be noted that the Lord enjoined hospitality by a threefold law—the law of nature, the old and the new law. (1) He commanded, by the law of nature, that as we desire to receive hospitality from others, so we should shew it to others—S. Matt. vii. 12, “All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them." (2) By the old law—Isa. lviii. 7, "Is it not to deal My bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house?" Deut. xxvi. 12, "The stranger, the fatherless, the widow, that they may eat within thy gates and be filled." (3) By the new law— Heb. xiii. 2, "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers." 

II. On the second head it is to be noted that the example of the saints teach us three things about hospitality —(1) That we should constrain strangers to “come in unto us." S. Luke xxiv. 29, "They constrained them, saying, Abide with us; for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent.” (2) That we should protect our guests from harm—Gen. xix. 4, 8, “I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly ......... ; with these men do nothing, for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof;" whence we may learn that it was a patriarchal custom to protect guests from violence (3) That with joy and gladness we should minister abundantly to their necessities—Gen. xviii. 3, 6, 7, “Pass not away, I pray thee, from thy servant. ......... And Abraham said, Make ready quickly these measures of fine meal; and Abraham ran unto the herd:” this history teaches us how with joy and gladness we ought abundantly to minister unto Strangers. 

III. On the third head it is to be noted that three evils are incurred by those who are unwilling to exercise hospitality. (1) They are here punished by the Lord—Wisd.. xix. 13-16, "Others, indeed, received not strangers unknown to them, but these brought their guests into bondage that had deserved well of them. And not only so, but in another respect also they were wise; for the others against their will received strangers, but these grievously afflicted them whom they had received with joy. But they were struck with blindness.” (2) They shall be confounded in the judgment—S. Matt. xxv. 43, “I was a stranger, and ye took me not in.” (3) They shall be shut up in an evil habitation—S. Matt. xxv. 4, "Depart from Me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels."

IV. On the fourth head it is to be noted that for three reasons we ought to be given to hospitality. (1) By doing this we gain grace, as the woman of Samaria who talked with Christ. (2) By doing this we frequently entertain saints and angels—Heb. xiii. 1, * Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.” (3) By doing this, we shall be received into an eternal, heavenly, and glorious habitation—S. Matt. xxv. 33, 34, «I was a stranger, and ye took me in. ......... Come, ye blessed children of My Father, inherit the Kingdom," &c.

✠ ✠ ✠

HOMILY IV. THE DUTIES OF MARRIAGE.

SECOND SUNDAY AFTER THE ÉPIPHANY.—(FROM THE GOSPEL.)

And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the Mother of Jesus was there." —S. John ii. 1.

Four marriages are spoken of in Holy Scripture—the first, historical; the second, allegorical; the third, tropological; the fourth, anagogical. (1) The literal marriage is the carnal union between the man and the woman; (2) the allegorical is between Christ and His Church; (3) the tropological between God and the soul; (4) the anagogical between God and the Church Triumphant. Of the first, Esth. ii. 18, “The King made a great feast with all his princes and servants" on the occasion of his marriage with Esther. Of the second, S. Matt. xxii. 2, "The Kingdom of Heaven is like unto a certain King which made a marriage for his son." Of the third, Hosea ii. 19, "I will betroth thee unto me in righteousness.” Of the fourth, S. Matt. xxv. 10, "They that were ready went in with Him to the marriage.” We now treat of the literal marriage, which, firstly, God sanctioned in three ways; which, secondly, implies three conditions.

I. On the first head it is to be noted that the literal marriage (1) God ordained in Paradise—Gen. i. 28, "God blessed them and said, Be fruitful and multiply, and replenish the earth." (2) He confirmed it by His Word— S. Matt. xix. 6, "What therefore God hath joined together, let no man put asunder." (3) He honoured it by His presence—“ Both Jesus was called," &c. (4) He magnified it by a miracle— "The ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine." 

II. On the second head it is to be noted that in literal marriages there should be present three good qualities. (1) Faith, that the marriage bed be not violated—1 Cor. vii. 4, “The husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife." (2) Offspring, that children may be generated for the Lord—1 S. Tim. ii. 15, "She shall be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith." (8) An oath, that neither can be separated the one from the other—Eph. v. 32, “This is a great mystery; but I speak concerning Christ and the Church." The first good despoils the adulterers, of whom Heb. xiii. 4— "Whoremongers and adulterers God will judge;" the second, those who either procure barrenness, or bring up their children not to worship and serve
God; the third, those who commit adultery, or marry two wives at the same time—Rom. vii. 3, "If while her husband liveth she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress.” So we learn what are the hindrances to unlawful marriage.
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre

Messages In This Thread
Second Sunday after Epiphany - by Stone - 01-17-2021, 08:45 AM
RE: Second Sunday after Epiphany - by Stone - 01-17-2021, 08:51 AM
RE: Second Sunday after Epiphany - by Stone - 01-16-2022, 07:32 AM
RE: Second Sunday after Epiphany - by Stone - 01-16-2022, 07:45 AM
RE: Second Sunday after Epiphany - by Stone - 01-16-2022, 08:00 AM
RE: Second Sunday after Epiphany - by Stone - 01-15-2023, 10:03 AM
RE: Second Sunday after Epiphany - by Stone - 01-14-2024, 07:01 AM