Feast of the Most Holy Name of Jesus
SUNDAY BETWEEN THE CIRCUMCISION AND THE EPIPHANY
FEAST OF THE MOST HOLY NAME OF JESUS

(When the first Sunday occurring in the year falls on January 1 or 6, or 7, the feast of the Holy Name is kept on January 2.)

[Image: 1.jpg?resize=768%2C614&ssl=1]

The second Sunday after the Epiphany, which recalls the Marriage feast of Cana, was at first chosen as the day on which to honour the most holy Name of Jesus. It is on the Wedding Day that the Bridegroom gives his Name to the Bride, and it is the sign that, from that day forward, she belongs to him alone. The Church, therefore, wishing to honour a name so precious to her with a special feast, could find no day more appropriate for it than that of the Marriage at Cana. But now she has chosen for the celebration of this august Name, a day closer to the Anniversary on which it was given, ‘after eight days were accomplished, his name was called Jesus’; she leaves, however, the commemoration of the Sacred Nuptials to the Sunday of which it has ever been the glory.

In the Old Covenant, the Name of God inspired fear and awe: nor was the honour of pronouncing it granted to all the children of Israel. We can understand this. God had not yet come down from heaven to live on earth, and converse with men; he had not yet taken upon himself our poor nature, and become Man like ourselves; the sweet Name expressive of love and tenderness, could not be applied to him.

But, when the fulness of time had come – when the mystery of love was about to be revealed – then did heaven send down the Name of ‘Jesus’ to our earth, as a pledge of the speedy coming of him who was to bear it. The archangel Gabriel said to Mary: Thou shalt call his Name JESUS. ‘Jesus’ means Saviour. How sweet will this Name not be to poor lost man! It seems to link earth to heaven! No name is so amiable, none is so powerful. Every knee in heaven, on earth, and in hell, bows in adoration at hearing this Name! and yet, who can pronounce it, and not feel love spring up within his heart? But we need such a saint as Bernard, to tell us of the power and sweetness of this blessed Name. He thus speaks of it in one of his Sermons.

‘The Name of Jesus is Light, and Food, and Medicine. It is Light, when it is preached to us; it is Food, when we think upon it; it is the Medicine that soothes our pains when we invoke it. Let us say a word on each of these. Tell me, whence came there, into the whole world, so bright and sudden a light, if not from the preaching of the Name of Jesus? Was it not by the light of this Name that God called us unto his admirable Light? Wherewith being enlightened, and in this light, seeing the Light, we take these words of Paul as truly addressed to ourselves: Heretofore, you were darkness; but now, light in the Lord [Eph. v. 8].

‘Nor is the Name of Jesus Light only; it is also Food. Art thou not strengthened, as often as thou thinkest of this Name? What is there that so feeds the mind of him that meditates upon this Name? What is there that so restores the wearied faculties, strengthens virtue, gives vigour to good and holy habits, and fosters chastity? Every food of the soul is dry, that is not steeped in this unction; it is insipid, if it be not seasoned with this salt. If thou write, I relish not thy writing, unless I read there the Name of Jesus. If thou teach me, or converse with me, I relish not thy words, unless I hear thee say the Name of Jesus. JESUS is honey to the mouth, and music to the ear, and gladness to the heart.

‘It is also Medicine. Is any one among you sad? Let but Jesus come into his heart, and the mouth echo him, saying Jesus! and lo! the light of that Name disperses every cloud, and brings sunshine back again. Have any of you committed sin? and is despair driving you into the snare of death? Invoke the Name of life, and life will come back to the soul. Was there ever a man, that, hearing this saving Name, could keep up that common fault of hardness of heart, or drowsiness of sluggishness, or rancour of soul, or languor of sloth? If any one, perchance, felt that the fountain of his tears was dry, did it not gush forth more plentifully than ever, and flow more sweetly than ever, as soon as he invoked the Name of Jesus? If any of us were ever in danger, and our heart beat with fear, did not this Name of power bring us confidence and courage the moment we pronounced it? When we were tossed to and fro by perplexing doubts, did not the evidence of what was right burst on us as we called upon the Name of light? When we were discouraged, and well nigh crushed, by adversity, did not our heart take courage, when our tongue uttered the Name of help ? All this is most true; for all these miseries are the sicknesses and faintings of our soul, and the Name of Jesus is our Medicine.

‘But, let us see how all this comes to pass. Call upon me in the day of trouble, says the Lord; I will deliver thee, and thou shall glorify me [Ps. xlix 15]. There is nothing which so restrains the impulse of anger, calms the swelling of pride, heals the wound of envy, represses the insatiability of luxury, smothers the flame of lust, quenches the thirst of avarice, and dispels the fever of uncleanliness – as the Name of Jesus. For when I pronounce this Name, I bring before my mind the Man, who, by excellence, is meek and humble of heart, benign, sober, chaste, merciful, and filled with everything that is good and holy, nay, who is the very God Almighty – whose example heals me, and whose assistance strengthens me. I say all this, when I say Jesus. Here have I my model, for he is Man; and my help, for he is God; the one provides me with precious drugs, the other gives them efficacy; and from the two I make a potion such as no physician knows how to make.null

‘Here is the electuary, my soul, hid in the casket of this Name Jesus; believe me, it is wholesome, and good for every ailment thou canst possibly have. Ever have it with thee, in thy bosom and in thy hand; so that all thy affections and actions may be directed to JESUS.’ [Fifteenth Sermon on the canticle of Canticles.]

The feast of the Holy Name is of comparatively recent origin, its first promoter was St Bernardine of Siena, who lived in the fifteenth century. This holy man established the practice of representing the Holy Name of Jesus surrounded with rays, and formed into a monogram of its three first letters, IHS [The Name was, anciently, often written Ihesus; hence, in its contracted form alluded to, the letter H would be given: the E  following was virtually included in the aspirate. Translator.]

The custom spread rapidly through Italy, and was zealously propagated by the great St John of Capestrano, who, like St Bernardine of Siena, was of the Order of Friars Minor. The Holy See gave its formal approbation to this manner of honouring the Name of our Saviour, and, in the early part of the sixteenth century, Pope Clement VI, after long entreaties, granted to the whole Franciscan Order the privilege of keeping a special Feast in honour of the Most Holy Name of Jesus.

Rome extended the same favour to various Churches; and, at length, the Feast was inserted in the universal Calendar. It was in the year 1721, at the request of Charles VI, Emperor of Germany, that Pope Innocent XII decreed that the Feast of the Most Holy Name of Jesus should be kept throughout the whole Church; he also chose the Second Sunday after the Epiphany as the day, but as we have already explained, the feast is now fixed for the Sunday following the Circumcision.

Quote:
Mass

The Church begins her chants by proclaiming the glory of the Name of her Spouse. Heaven, earth, and hell! Bow ye down at the sound of this adorable Name, for the Son of Man, who bears this Name, is also the Son of God.

Introit

In Nomine Jesu omne genu flectatur, cœlestium, terrestrium et infernorum; et omnis lingua confiteatur, quia Dominus Jesus Christus in gloria est Dei Patris.

Ps. Domine, Dominus noster, quam admirabile est Nomen tuum in universa terra! ℣. Gloria Patri. In Nomine Jesu.

At the Name of Jesus, let eery knee bend in heaven, on earth, and under the earth; and every tongue confess, that the Lord Jesus Christ is in the glory of God the Father.

Ps. O Lord, our Lord, how wonderful is thy name over the whole earth. ℣. Glory. At the Name.

In the Collect, the Church, which, during her exile, finds consolation in the Name of her divine Spouse, prays that she may see his blessed face in heaven.

Collect

Deus, qui unigenitum Filium tuum ocnstituisti humani generis Salvatorem, et Jesum vocari jussisti: concede propitius, ut cujus sanctum Nomen veneramur in terris, ejus quoque aspectu perfruamur in cœlis. Per eumdem.

O God, who didst appoint thy Only-Begotten Son the Savior of mankind, and commandedst that his name should be called Jesus: mercifully grant, that we who venerate this holy Name on earth, may also enjoy his sight in heaven. Through the same, &c.

Epistle

Lesson from the Acts of the Apostles. Ch. iv.

In those days: Peter, being filled with the Holy Ghost, said to them: Ye princes of the people, and ancients, hear: If we this day are examined concerning the good deed done to the infirm man, by what means he hath been made whole: Be it known to you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God hath raised from the dead, even by him this man standeth here before you whole. This is the stone which was rejected by you the builders, which is become the head of the corner. Neither is there salvation in any other. For there is no other name under heaven given to men, whereby we must be saved.

Quote:Oh! how true is this, dear Jesus! no other Name but thine could give us salvation, and thy Name means Savior. Be thou praised for having taken such a Name! Be thou praised for having saved us! Thou art of heaven heavenly, and yet thou takest a Name on earth, and one which our mortal lips can say.

The holy Church then commences a second canticle in praise of this divine Name, which is blessed by all nations, for it is the name of him who redeemed them all.

Gradual

Salvos fac nos, Domine Deus noster; et congrega nos de nationibus: ut confiteamur Nomini sancto tuo, et gloriemur in laude tua.
℣. Tu, Domine, Pater noster, et Redemptor noster; a sæculo nomen tuum.

Save us, O Lord, our God! and gather us from amidst the nations: that we may give thanks to thy holy Name, and may glory in thy praise.
℣. Thou, Lord, art our Father and Redeemer; thy Name is from eternity.

Alleluia, alleluia.
℣. Laudem Domini loquetur os meum, et benedicat omnis caro Nomen sanctum ejus. Alleluia.

Alleluia, alleluia.
℣. My mouth shall publish the praises of the Lord, and let all flesh bless his holy Name. Alleluia.

Gospel

Sequel of the holy Gospel according to St. Luke. Ch. ii.

At that time: After eight days were accomplished, that the child should be circumcised, his name was called Jesus, which was called by the angel, before he was conceived in the womb.

Quote:It is during the first shedding of thy Blood, by the Circumcision, that thou didst receive this Name of Jesus, dear Lord! and it was fitting that it should be so, for this Name signifies Saviour, and we could not be saved but by thy Blood. Our immortal life is to be purchased at the price of thy Death! This truth is expressed to us by thy Name, O Jesus! Saviour! Thou art the Vine, and thou invitest us to drink of thy delicious Wine; but the heavenly Fruit must be first unsparingly pressed in the wine-press of thy Eternal Father’s justice; we cannot drink of its juice, until it shall have been torn from the branch and bruised for our sakes. May thy sacred Name ever remind us of this sublime Mystery, and may the remembrance keep us from sin, and make us always faithful.

During the Offertory, the holy Church resumes her chants in honour of the Holy Name; she celebrates the mercies, which are reserved for all them that call on this Name.

Offertory

Confitebor tibi, Domine Deus meus, in toto corde meo; et glorificabo Nomen tuum in æternum. Quoniam tu, Domine, suavis et mitis es, multæ misericordiæ omnibus invocantibus te. Alleluia.

I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify thy name for ever; because, O Lord, thou art good and gracious, and full of mercy towards all that call upon thee. Alleluia.

Secret

Benedictio tua, clementissime Deus, qua omnis viget creatura, sanctificet, quæsumus, hoc sacrificium nostrum, quod ad gloriam Nominis Filii tui Domini nostri Jesu Christi offerimus tibi: ut majestati tuæ placere possit ad laudem, et nobis proficere ad salutem. Per eumdem.

May thy blessing, O most merciful God, by which every creature is enlivened and subsists, sanctify this our sacrifice, which we offer thee in honor of the name of thy Son, our Lord Jesus Christ: that it may be acceptable to the praise of thy majesty, and available to our salvation. Through the same, &c.

The Faithful having received the heavenly food—the Body and Blood of their Savior, Jesus—the Church, filled with gratitude towards her Lord, invites all nations to glorify the Name of him who made and redeemed them.

Communion

Omnes gentes quascumque fecisti venient, et adorabunt coram te, Domine, et glorificabunt Nomen tuum: quoniam magnus es tu, et faciens mirabilia: tu es Deus solus. Alleluia.

All the nations thou hast made shall come and adore before thee, O Lord, and they shall glorify thy name, for thou art great and dost wonderful things: thou art God alone. Alleluia.

The holy Church has now but one more prayer to make: it is, that the names of her children may be written, under the glorious Name of “Jesus,” in the book of eternal predestination, which is, as it were, the deed of the contract made with us by our Savior. This happiness will assuredly be ours, if we are but wise enough to profit by all that this sweet Name offers us, and to make our life conformable to the lessons it teaches us.

Postcommunion

Omnipotens, æterne Deus, qui creasti et redemisti nos: respice propitius vota nostra, et sacrificium salutaris hostiæ, quod in honorem Nominis Filii tui Domini nostri Jesu Christi, majestati tuæ obtulimus, placido et benigno vultu suscipere digneris; ut gratia tua nobis infusa, sub glorioso Nomine Jesu, æternæ prædestinationis titulo, gaudeamus nomina nostra scripta esse in cœlis. Per eumdem.

O Almighty and Eternal God, who didst both create and redeem us, mercifully hear our prayers, and vouchsafe, with a pleasing and kind countenance, to receive the sacrifice of this victim of our salvation, which we have offered to thy divine Majesty, in honor of the Name of thy Son, our Lord Jesus Christ; that thy grace being poured upon us, through the glorious Name of Jesus as a pledge of our eternal predestination, we may rejoice that our names are written in heaven. Through the same, &c.

Last Gospel

Sequentia sancti Evangelii secundum Joannem. Cap.ii.

In illo tempore: nuptiae factæ sunt in Cana Galilææ, et erat mater Jesu ibi. Vocatus est autem et Jesus, et discipuli ejus, ad nuptias. Et deficiente vino, dicit mater Jesu ad eum : Vinum non habent. Et dicit ei Jesus: Quid mihi et tibi est, mulier? nondum venit hora mea. Dicit mater ejus ministris : Quodcumque dixerit vobis, facite. Erant autem ibi lapideæ hydriæ sex positæ secundum purificationem Judæorum, capientes singulæ metretas binas vel ternas. Dicit eis Jesus: Implete hydrias aqua. Et impleverunt eas usque ad summum. Et dicit eis Jesus: Haurite nunc, et ferte architriclinio. Et tulerunt. Ut autem gustavit architriclinius aquam vinum factam, et non sciebat unde esset, ministri autem sciebant, qui hauserant aquam: vocat sponsum architriclinius, et dicit ei: Omnis homo primum bonum vinum ponit et cum inebriati fuerint, tunc id, quod deterius est. Tu autem servasti bonum vinum usque adhuc. Hoc fecit initium signorum Jesus in Cana Galilææ; et manifestavit gloriam suam, et crediderunt in eum discipuli ejus. ℣. Deo gratias.

Sequel of the holy Gospel according to St. John. Ch. ii.

At that time: there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee: and the mother of Jesus was there. And Jesus also was invited, and his disciples, to the marriage. And the wine failing, the mother of Jesus saith to him: They have no wine. And Jesus saith to her: Woman, what is that to me and to thee? my hour is not yet come. His mother saith to the waiters: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye. Now there were set there six waterpots of stone, according to the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three measures apiece. Jesus saith to them: Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim. And Jesus saith to them: Draw out now, and carry to the chief steward of the feast. And they carried it. And when the chief steward had tasted the water made wine, and knew not whence it was, but the waiters knew who had drawn the water; the chief steward calleth the bridegroom, And saith to him: Every man at first setteth forth good wine, and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse. But thou hast kept the good wine until now. This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee; and manifested his glory, and his disciples believed in him. ℣. Deo gratias.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fanastpaul.files.wordpre...f=1&nofb=1]

The two Hymns which follow, and which are used by the Church for the Matins and Lauds of the Feast, are by the same writer as the Hymn of Vespers, Jesu dulcis memoria. They were for a long time attributed to St Bernard; but Manuscripts have been found, which prove beyond a doubt, that they were composed by a holy Abbess of the Order of St Benedict, who lived in the fourteenth century.

HYMN

Jesu, Rex admirabilis,
Et triumphator nobilis,
Dulcedo ineffabilis,
Totus desiderabilis,Quando cor nostrum visitas,
Tunc lucet ei veritas,
Mundi vilescit vanitas,
Et intus fervet charitas.Jesu, dulcedo cordium,
Fons vivus, lumen mentium,
Excedens omne gaudium,
Et omne desiderium.

Jesum omnes agnoscite;
Amorem ejus poscite;
Jesum ardenter quaerite,
Quaerendo inardescite.
Te nostra, Jesu, vox sonnet,
Nostri te mores exprimant,
Te corda nostra diligant,
Et nunc et in perpetuum. Amen.

O Jesus! admirable King! noble Conqueror! ineffable Sweetness! most lovely Jesus!

When thou visitest the heart, then does truth shine upon her, the vanity of the world grows contemptible, and charity burns within.

O Jesus! Sweetness of the heart! Fount of life! Light of the soul! Thou surpassest every joy, and every desire.

Acknowledge this Jesus, all ye people! Pray for his love, seek him with all eagerness, and, as ye seek him, burn with love of him.

May our tongue proclaim thee, O Jesu! may our lives reflect thy virtues! may our hearts love thee, both now and for eternity.
Amen.

HYMN

Jesu decus Angelicum,
In aure dulce canticum,
In ore mel mirificum,
In corde nectar coelicum.Qui te gustant esuriunt;
Qui bibunt adhuc sitiunt;
Desiderare nesciunt
Nisi Jesum, quem diligunt.O Jesu, mi dulcissime,
Spes suspirantis animae!
Te quaerunt piae lacrymae,
Te clamor mentis intimae.

Mane nobiscum, Domine,
Et nos illustra lumine;
Pulsa mentis caligine,
Mundum reple dulcedine.
Jesu, flos Matris virginis,
Amor nostrae dulcedinis,
Tibi laus, honor Nominis,
Regnum beatitudinis. Amen.

My Jesus, thou glory of the Angels! Thou art sweet music to the ear, sweetest honey to the mouth, heavenly nectar to the heart!

They that taste thee, still hunger after thee; they that drink, still thirst to drink; they know not what to desire save the Jesus whom they love.

O Jesus! my sweetest Jesus I hope of this panting heart! these tears of love, this cry of my innermost soul, both ask thee to be mine.

Abide with us, O Lord! and illumine us with light; drive darkness from our souls, and fill the world with thy sweetness.
To thee, O Jesus! thou Flower of thy Virgin-Mother, thou love of our delighted nature! be praise, and the honour of thy Name, and the kingdom of eternal bliss. Amen.

[Image: 15749486_10208603217781265_2077727766_n.jpg?w=693&ssl=1]

The following Sequence is the composition of the devout Bernardine de Bustis, a Franciscan,
who also composed, during the pontificate of Sixtus IV, an Office and a Mass of the Holy Name of Jesus.

SEQUENCE

Sweet Jesus of Nazareth! dear King of the Jews! the good, the beautiful, the flower like Jesus!

He suffers death and torments for the salvation of his people: he is pale and livid with his wounds.

Sweet Name and epithet! It is the Name surpassing all names.

It softens the sinner’s heart, and heals him: it warms up the just, and strengthens them, and defends them from temptation.

Under this King’s standard, thou livest in peace, for thine enemies fly before thee.

Think upon the Name of Jesus, and it will break up thine enemies’ plans, conquer them, and put them to flight.

This is the Name deserving of all honour, at which the wicked spirits ever tremble.

This is the Name of salvation, and the wonderful consolation which comforts the sorrowful.

It behoves us to honour this Name, put it in the treasury of our heart, think on it, love it, but love it bravely.

Ignatius taught men this Name; when he suffered martyrdom he had it on his lips, and when his heart was opened, there was found written on it this heavenly word Jesus.

What could we wish for better than this, to have Jesus as a bosom-friend? He is lovely above all measure, and desires to love us.

He loves most ardently, he loves most constantly, he loves most faithfully, and seeks how to assist his friends.

He made his own Name, and he made it such as that all should love it above all names, and before all names, and more intimately than all other names.

This is nature’s law: that we study our best to love him who loves us, and cordially do all we can to please him.

The Name of Jesus includes all good things; its sound is sweet; it merits for us a throne in the kingdom; it gladdens our hearing.

The brightness of the Father shines in it; the beauty of the Mother beams through it; the honour of the Father is reflected in it; the glory of the Brethren comes from it.

Would any one, therefore, know, how it is that the Name of Jesus so wonderfully causes the good to desire him whose Name it is?

It is that Jesus is beautiful in comeliness, infinitely good in worth, meek, gentle, and sweetly prone to mercy.

Jesus is the King of glory; Jesus is beautiful in appearance; Jesus is graceful in speech, and admirable in his works.

Jesus is strong, and valiant; Jesus is a vigorous combatant; Jesus is generous in his gifts, and loves to give.

Jesus is tenderly compassionate; Jesus is the enlightened guide; Jesus is the de light of all who know him, and most sweet is his company.

Jesus is glorified throughout the world; Jesus brings the fruit of blessings to all; Jesus is the source of every virtue, and takes the tenderest care of those that are his.

There is none equal to him in honour, there is none like him in affection, and all the earth praises him.

He knows all things, and holds all things in his omnipresent providence; his love wins him the hearts of his creatures and keeps them fastened to himself.

All hail, then, to this Name so loved – Sweet Jesus! May it be so fixed within our hearts, that no power may take it from us!

May it bring us the forgiveness of our sins; may it inspire us to hymn God’s praise; may it lead us to the possession of our blissful throne in heaven. Amen.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3...%3DApi&f=1]

We cannot refuse to our readers the following Hymn from the ancient Missals of Germany, notwithstanding its being,
in several of the ideas and expressions, a repetition of the one just given.

HYMN

Jesus, Name so justly honoured, adored in heaven, and expressive of infinite glory! It was revealed to Gabriel, and announced on earth to the Mother of divine grace.

She, on the eighth day, when her Son had been circumcised according to the Jewish ceremony, she called him Jesus. The blessed Name was preached to the whole world, and saves them that believe.

The glory of the divine Trinity and Unity blazes forth in this Name; it gladdens heaven; the brightness of the Father shines in it; the beauty of the Mother beams through it; the glory of the Brethren comes from it.

This is the Name of salvation, and the wonderful consolation which comforts the sorrowful. It behoves us ever to honour, and bless, and praise, with joyful hearts, this dear Name.

It is music when preached to us; it is sweet honey when invoked by us; it defends us from temptation. It is joy to us when we think on it, and the wicked spirits are seized with strange fear when they hear us say it.

This is the Name that is full of grace, and fruit, and virtue, above all names. It makes known to men the gracious, the beautiful, the loving face of God.

It is fair in beauty, it is surpassingly good in worth, its inner relish is most sweet; it is most powerful in energy, most high in honour, and gives a happy delight.

Do thou, therefore, good Jesus! Shepherd and Light un failing of our souls! defend us, and, for thy dear Name’s sake, let not the dismal chaos of darkness engulf us.

O thou the Reformer of all nations, that destroyest death by thy Life! O Restorer of the loss sustained by the An gels, give thyself unto us. Amen.

Messages In This Thread
Feast of the Most Holy Name of Jesus - by Stone - 01-03-2021, 10:01 AM
RE: Feast of the Most Holy Name of Jesus - by Stone - 01-03-2021, 10:56 AM