Sydney church stabbing: Bishop attacked during livestreamed church service
Sydney church stabbing: Bishop attacked during livestreamed church service
Warning: This article contains graphic content that may disturb some readers.

[Image: sydney-church-stabbing-CREDIT-YOUTUBE-150424-1120.jpg]

Newshub.com | April 15, 2024

A bishop and multiple worshippers have reportedly been stabbed in another shock attack in Sydney.

The latest violent incident happened during a livestreamed Mass service at Christ The Good Shepherd Church in Wakeley on Monday evening.

As Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel was preaching, a man walked up to him, withdrew a weapon, and rained down blows on the elderly victim.

The incident was caught on camera, and showed shocked attendees racing to aid the Bishop.

Horrified screams were heard on the YouTube feed before it was cut off.

There are reports four people were injured, including two who had multiple lacerations.

The bishop was later seen being taken to an ambulance in a stretcher. NSW Ambulance told NCA NewsWire a man aged in his 50s was taken to Liverpool Hospital with multiple stab wounds.

NSW Police have confirmed they responded and one man is now in custody.

"Officers arrested a male and he is assisting police with inquiries," their statement read.

Fairfield Mayor Frank Carbone told Sky News Australia he believed the Bishop would be "okay".

"Bishops and priests they're very very important in our community, they only preach love and peace, and to have this happen to one of them is horrific," he said.

"However I understand a lot of members in our community are really distraught but what is important is I believe that the bishop has been taken to hospital and should be okay."

According to Sky News Australia, mass disorder broke out in the aftermath, with Carbone reportedly calling for calm.

"We live in difficult times right now... so I can understand frustration and the anger from the communities but I ask them as the mayor just to please be calm."

The incident comes just 48 hours after Sydney knifeman Joel Cauchi stabbed at least 17 people on Saturday at the Bondi Junction Westfield mall. Six victims were killed - five of whom were women.
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre
Warning - Graphic

"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre