The Apocalypse of St. John by Rev. E. Sylvester Berry [1921]
THE CHURCH FIRMLY ESTABLISHED

CHAPTER VII

1 . After these things, I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth that they should not blow upon the earth, nor upon the sea, nor on any tree.

2. And I saw another angel ascending from the rising of the sun. having the sign of the living God; and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,

3. Saying: Hurt not the earth, nor the sea, nor the trees, till we sign the servants of our God in their foreheads.

4. And I heard the number of them that were signed, an hundred forty- four thousand were signed, of every tribe of the children of Israel.

5. Of the tribe of Juda we A e twelve thousand signed; of the tribe of Ruben, twelve thousand signed; of the tribe of Gad, twelve thousand signed;

6. Of the tribe of Aser, twelve thousand signed; of the tribe of Nephthali, twelve thousand signed; of the tribe of Manasses, twelve thousand signed.

7. Of the tribe of Simeon, twelve thousand signed; of the tribe of Levi, twelve thousand signed; of the tribe of Isaachar, twelve thousand signed:

8. Of the tribe of Zabulon, twelve thousand signed; of the tribe of Joseph, twelve thousand signed; of the tribe of Benjamin, twelve thousand signed.

This vision presages a period of comparative peace and security for the Church. By command of Christ the great persecutions are brought to an end that the Church may firmly establish herself upon the ruins of the old Roman Empire. Many Jews have accepted the teachings of Christ, and untold numbers from every race and tongue now flock to His standard.

1. The Apostle sees four spirits ready to send forth the winds of earth bearing persecution, war, pestilence, and famine. In the prophecy of Zacharias thei four winds are four chariots bringing plagues upon earth.1 They symbolize evil spirits and unfaithful pastors who bring untold harm to the faithful by their false teachings and example. The four horsemen of the preceding vision are here replaced by charioteers to signify that the threatened scourges are more grievous than any yet predicted.

2, 3. A faithful angel appears to prevent any injury to earth or sea until the servants of God are marked upon the forehead. This angel comes from the East to indicate that he has received his mission from Christ. Zacharias refers to the Messias as the Orient (the East.2) Hence it is Christ who brings persecution to an end that the Church may establish herself and spread the Gospel among Gentile peoples.

The office of this good angel is; fulfilled by all bishops and priests, who by their teaching and example avert many evils. So today the teachings of the Church are the only remedy for the many ills that threaten society throughout the world. The nations must return to the Faith or perish from the earth.3

The strong voice is that of the Church which must resound unto the ends of the earth in preaching the Gospel. The sign upon the forehead represents the Sacraments of Baptism and Confirmation which imprint a spiritual mark upon the soul. In ancient times, to be baptized was to be "signed." Confirmation was the "seal" of God's gifts.4 As Confirmation was given immediately after Baptism, the two Sacraments are here represented by the one seal. In a secondary sense the cross is the sign imprinted upon the life of every true Christian. It is the sign of the Son of man which shall appear in the heavens at the second corning of Christ."

4-8. Every tribe of Israel furnishes numerous converts to the Faith of Christ. This multitude of Jewish believers is represented by the symbolic number of 12,000 from each tribe. The Jews were not all unfaithful to the Messias. Many of them received the Gospel even in the days of the Apostles as we learn from the Acts of the Apostles and from the Epistles of St. Paul.

The tribe of Dan became so insignificant in numbers that it was never enumerated after the captivity. The number twelve was maintained by enumerating the two half- tribes of Manasses and Ephraim, sons of Joseph. Ephraim is here represented by Joseph. From this omission of Dan, St. Irenaeus concluded that Antichrist will spring from his tribe.5 The prophecy of Jacob is cited in support of this belief:

"Let Dan be a snake in the way; a serpent that biteth the horse s heels that the rider may fall backward.5 This explanation of St. Irenaeus has but little to commend it because the tribes of Israel have long since lost their identity.

(1) Zacharias vi, 1-5.
(2) Zacharias vi, 12; St. Luke i, 78.
(3) Cf. Belloc, "Europe and the Faith."
(4) Catholic Library, Archeology Series, vol. ii, pages 42, 43; cf. also Ephesians i, 13; iv, 30.
(5) St. Matthew xxiv, 30; cf. also Ezechiel ix, 4.
(5) St. Irenaeus, "Contra Haereses" xxx, 2 .
(6) Genesis xlix, 17.

9. After this I saw a great multitude which no man could number of all nations, and tribes, and peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne in the sight of the Lamb, clothed with white robes and palms in their hands

10. And they cried with a loud voice, saying: Salvation to our God who sitteth upon the throne, and to the Lamb.

11. And all the angels stood around about the throne, and the ancients and the four living creatures; and they fell down before the throne upon their faces and adored God.

12. Saying: Amen. Benediction and glory and wisdom, and thanksgiving, honor, and power, and strength to our God for ever and ever. Amen.

13. And one of the ancients answered, and said to me: These that are clothed in white robes, who are they? And whence came they?

14. And I said to him: My Lord, thou knowest. And he said to me: These are they who are come out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes and have made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

15. Therefore they are before the throne of God, and they serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell over them.

16. They shall no more hunger nor thirst, neither shall the sun fall on them, nor any heat.

17. For the Lamb, which is in the midst of the throne., shall rule them, and shall lead them to the fountains of the waters of life, and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.

9. Many Jews accept the Gospel of Christ, but the Gentiles who flock to His fold from every nation and tongue form so vast a multitude that no man can number them. "There shall come from the east and the west, the north and the south; and shall sit down in the kingdom of God."3 These elect shall be saved by purity of life symbolized by the white robes of innocence an innocence obtained through the merits of Christ's death. Many shall also receive the glorious crown of martyrdom.

10-12. All join in one great hymn of praise and thanksgiving to God and to the Lamb who is worthy to receive divine honors. With this vision persecutions cease; the Church comes forth triumphant from her long conflict with pagan Rome. A Christian now sits upon the throne of the Caesars; the Gospel is being preached far and wide and magnificent basilicas are being erected in which the liturgy of the Church is carried out with grand solemnity. The prophecy of Malachias is being fulfilled: "From the rising of the sun even to the going down, my name is great among the Gentiles, and in every place there is sacrifice and there is offered to my name a clean oblation: for my name is great among the Gentiles, saith the Lord of hosts."2

13-14. The faithful whom St. John beholds in the vision have passed through great tribulations. The era of persecution was a period of great tribulation for the whole Church as well as for those who actually suffered martyrdom.

Trials and tribulations shall frequently recur during the history of the Church as our Lord foretold: If they have persecuted me they will also persecute you."3 The most trying persecutions will be suffered in the days of Antichrist and at the end of the world.

The elect have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. They are saved by the merits of Christ s suffering and death, for "there is no other name under heaven given to men whereby we must be saved."4

15-17. Those who remain faithful to Christ, especially those who suffer for His sake, shall be rewarded in heaven for all their trials and sufferings on earth. There they shall be filled with all joy and consolation. "God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and death shall be no more, nor crying, nor sorrow." Christ Himself shall rule over them all with an everlasting love.

(1) St. Lube xiii, ,29.
(2) Malachias i, 11.
(3) St. John xv, 20.
(4) Acts of the Apostles iv, 12.
(5) Apocalypse xxi, 4
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Apocalypse of St. John by Rev. E. Sylvester Berry [1921] - by Stone - 12-12-2022, 07:15 AM