The Apocalypse of St. John by Rev. E. Sylvester Berry [1921]
TO THE CHURCH OF LAODICEA

CHAPTER III

14. And to the angel of the church of Laodicea write: These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, who is the beginning of the creation of God:

15.1 know thy works that thou art neither cold nor hot. I would that thou wert cold or hot.

16. But because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will begin to vomit thee out of my mouth.

17. Because thou sayest: I am rich, and made wealthy, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked.

18.1 counsel thee to buy of me gold fire-tried, that thou mayest be made rich: and mayest be clothed in white garments, and that the shame of thy nakedness may not appear: and anoint thy eyes with eye-salve, that thou mayest see.

19. Such as I love I rebuke and chastise. Be zealous therefore and do penance.

20. Behold, I stand at the gate and knock. If any man shall hear my voice and open to me the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

21 . To him that shall overcome, I will give to sit with me in my throne: as I also have overcome, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

22. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the spirit saith to the churches.

14. Laodicea was an important city of Phrygia about 50 miles southeast of Philadelphia on the river Lycus. Antiochus II colonized it about 250 B.C. and gave it the name of his wife, Laodice. Laodicea was a centre of industries and commerce and especially famous for its woolen goods and sandals. It was also the seat of a medical school.

The Gospel had been preached in Laodicea by St. Paul's disciple Epaphras. The house of Nymphas was used as a place of worship for the little Christian community.1 The Constitutions of the Apostles mentions St. Nymphas as the first bishop of Laodicea.2 St. Paul wrote a letter to the Christians of Laodicea which has been lost.3

Jesus Christ is the Amen, the unchangeable and eternal. By Him were all things created: "Thou in the beginning, Lord, didst found the earth. And the works of thy hands are the heavens."4

15-17. The bishop of Laodicea is lukewarm and in different. Hence our Lord is about to reject him He withdraws the graces that have been neglected. Christ would prefer to find the bishop entirely cold, because there would be more hopes for him. He would more easily realize his condition and do penance. Tepid souls easily deceive themselves, believing they are rich in God's grace when in reality they are in a miserable state, stripped of God's grace and blinded to their true condition.

The reference to riches may also imply that the bishop of Laodicea had given himself too much to the acquisition of worldly goods. He thus became the very opposite of St. Polycarp who was poor in material goods, but rich in the grace and love of God.5

18. The bishop is commanded to arouse himself from this spiritual lethargy. Instead of the base gold of earthly riches, he must obtain the pure gold of charity and zeal, a gold purified in the fire of trials and temptations. Thus shall he clothe himself with the white garments of grace. Then will his eyes be opened to a proper knowledge of the things of God.

19, 20. Trials and afflictions are proof of God's mercy and love. They arouse the soul to greater fervor. Christ is ever patient and loving. He stands at the door of our soul ready to bestow His graces and blessings. But the soul must cooperate; it must open the door to Him.

21. A share in the glories of Christ in heaven is promised to those who cooperate with His graces and persevere unto the end. These warnings to the churches show Christ s solicitude for our salvation. They also prove His deep concern for those charged with the care of souls.

(1) Colossians iv, 13-15.
(2) Constitutions of the Apostles vii, 46.
(3) Colossians iv, 16.
(4) Hebrews i, 10.
(5) See above, page 37.
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Apocalypse of St. John by Rev. E. Sylvester Berry [1921] - by Stone - 12-06-2022, 08:23 AM