The Apocalypse of St. John by Rev. E. Sylvester Berry [1921]
TO THE CHURCH OF EPHESUS

CHAPTER II

1. Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write: These things saith he, who holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks:

2. 1 know thy work, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them that are evil, and thou hast tried them who say they are apostles, are not, and hast found them liars;

3. And thou hast patience, and hast endured for my name and hast not fainted.

4. But I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first charity.

5. Be mindful therefore from whence thou art fallen: and do penance, and do thy first works. Or else I will come to thee, and will move thy candlestick out of its place, except thou do penance.

6. But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaites, which I also hate.

7. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the spirit saithto the churches. To him that overcometh, I will give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of my God.

1. The angels addressed by St. John are the bishops of the churches to which he writes. The Greek word ἄγγελος means "one sent," a "messenger." Bishops are ministers sent by Christ to rule His Church.

Ephesus was an important city on the western coast of Asia Minor. It was chiefly noted for the temple of Diana which was counted among the seven wonders of the world. The temple was stripped of its riches by Nero and finally destroyed by the Goths in 262 A. D. St. Paul preached the Gospel in Ephesus for three years and left his disciple, St. Timothy, as bishop, to carry on the work. St. John also spent his last years at Ephesus where he wrote the fourth Gospel. An ancient tradition says that Mary Magdalene also died at Ephesus. Today Ephesus is represented by Aya Solouk, a village of 3000 inhabitants. Below the village lie the ruins of the ancient city. Remains of the temple and theater are still pointed out to the visitor. 

St. Timothy was probably the "angel" of Ephesus to whom St. John writes in the Apocalypse. He is praised for his untiring labors in preaching the Gospel and his zeal in rooting out false teachers. He has also suffered persecution for Christ's name. St. Paul informs us that St. Timothy had been imprisoned for his faith, but he gives none of the circumstances. 1 

St. Timothy is now reprimanded because he has lost much of his former zeal. St. Paul had recognized in his beloved disciple a gentleness of nature that easily leads to the lack of that zeal and firmness so necessary in a bishop. Hence he wrote to St. Timothy : Stir up the grace of God which is in thee by the imposition of my hands. For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of sobriety." And again:14 Preach the word. Be instant in season and out of sea son. Reprove, entreat, rebuke in all patience and doc trine."3 

What St. Paul feared has come to pass. The words of St. John leave the impression that there has been a serious falling off in fervor and zeal. The consequences will be all the greater now that persecution is at hand. St. John takes the place of the former master to warn St. Timothy. His words were fruitful and St. Timothy won the martyrs crown soon after. 

To persevere in fervor and zeal is one of the greatest difficulties of an apostolic life. Yet it is the strict duty of every apostle worthy the name.

5. A terrible punishment awaits St. Timothy unless he regain his former zeal in the ministry. The nature of this chastisement indicates that the faithful were at fault even more than their bishop. "I will remove thy candle stick (church) out of its place" by means of persecution, heresy, schism, and apostacy. Only too often has this threat been carried out in the history of the Church. It is a menace hanging over every church that loses its first fervor and abandons its first works.

6. Our Lord commends St. Timothy for his hatred of the Nicolaite heresy. The Nicolaites were noted for their corrupt teachings and manner of life. The sect probably took its name from the founder. Some wish to identify him with Nicholas, one of the seven deacons ordained at Jerusalem. 3 St. Paul had warned Timothy of errors similar to those of the Nicolaites: "Some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to spirits of error and doc trines of devils. Speaking lies and hypocrisy and having their conscience seared. Forbidding to marry, to abstain from meats."4

Christ does not say that He hates the Nicolaites. He hates only their evil works and their errors. This teaches us that we must ever hate all error, but love the erring, especially those who err through no fault of their own. Our love for them should show itself in earnest efforts to bring them to the knowledge and love of truth.

7. A great reward is promised to those who over come heresy and sin by reclaiming the wandering to the true Faith. "To him that overcometh I will give to eat of the tree of life." Christ Himself is this tree of life whose fruit is the Holy Eucharist on earth, and eternal union with Him in heaven.

(1) Hebrews xiii, 23.
(2) II Timothy i, 7; iv, 2.
(3) Acts of the Apostles vi, 5.
(4) I Timothy iv, 1-3; cf. also Irenaeus "Adversus Haeresas" xxvi, 3.
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Apocalypse of St. John by Rev. E. Sylvester Berry [1921] - by Stone - 12-01-2022, 01:20 PM