December 12th - Our Lady of Guadalupe, St. Finian and St. Valery
[Image: Our-Lady-of-Guadalupe-4.jpeg]
Our Lady of Guadalupe
Patroness of Latin America
(1531)

One of the most beautiful series of apparitions of the Queen of Heaven occurred on the American continent on a December day of 1531, only ten years after the Spanish conquest. A fervent Christian Indian in his fifties, Juan Diego, a widower, was on his way to Mass in Mexico City from his home eight miles distant, a practice he and his wife had followed since their conversion, in honor of Our Lady on Her day, Saturday. He had to pass near the hill of Tepeyac, and was struck there by the joyous song of birds, rising up in the most melodious of concerts; he stopped to listen. Looking up to the hilltop, he perceived a brilliant cloud, surrounded by a light brighter than a fiery sun, and a gentle voice called him by name, saying, Juan, come. His first fear was transformed into a sweet happiness by this voice, and he mounted the slope. There he beheld the One he had intended to honor by hearing Her Mass. She was surrounded by a radiance so brilliant it sent out rays that seemed to transform the very rocks into scintillating jewels.

Where are you going, My child? She asked him. To Saint James to hear the Mass sung by the minister of the Most High in honor of the Mother of the Saviour. That is good, My son; your devotion is agreeable to Me, as is also the humility of your heart. Know then that I am that Virgin Mother of God, Author of Life and Protector of the weak. I desire that a temple be built here, where I will show Myself to be your tender Mother, the Mother of your fellow citizens and of all who invoke My name with confidence. Go to the bishop and tell him faithfully all you have seen and heard.

Juan continued on his way, and the bishop, Monsignor Juan de Zumarraga, a Franciscan of great piety and enlightened prudence, heard him kindly and asked questions, but sent him home without any promises. Juan was disappointed, but on his way past the hill, he once again found the Lady, who seemed to be waiting for him as though to console him. He excused himself for the failure of his mission, but She only repeated Her desire to have a temple built at this site, and told him to return again to the bishop. This he did on the following day, begging the bishop to accomplish the desires of the Virgin. Monsignor said to him: If it is the Most Holy Virgin who sends you, She must prove it; if She wants a church, She must give me a sign of Her will. On his way home, Juan Diego found Her again, waiting, and She said to him, Come back tomorrow and I will give you a certain mark of the truthfulness of your words.
The next day Juan was desolate to find his uncle, with whom he lived, fallen grievously sick; the old gentleman was clearly on the brink of death. Juan had to go and find a priest in the city. As he was passing the hill, Our Lady again appeared to him, saying, Do not be anxious, Diego, because of your uncle's illness. Don't you know that I am your Mother and that you are under My protection? At this moment your uncle is cured. Then please give me the sign you told me of, replied Juan. Mary told him to come up to the hilltop and cut the flowers he would find there, place them under his cloak, and bring them to Her. I will tell you then what to do next. Juan found the most beautiful of roses and lilies, and chose the most fragrant ones for Mary. She made a bouquet of them and placed it in a fold of his cloak or tilma — a large square of coarse cloth resembling burlap. Take these lilies and roses on My behalf to the bishop, She said. This is the certain sign of My will. Let there be no delay in raising here a temple in My honor. With joy Juan continued on to the city and the bishop's residence, where he had to wait nearly all day in the antechamber. Other visitors noted the fragrance of his flowers, and went so far as to open his mantle to see what he was carefully holding in it, but found only flowers pictured on the cloth. When finally he was admitted to the presence of the prelate, he opened his cloak and the fresh flowers fell on the floor. That was not the only sign; on his cloak there was imprinted a beautiful image of the Virgin. It remains today still visible in the Cathedral of Mexico City, conserved under glass and in its original state, having undergone no degeneration in 470 years.

Juan found his uncle entirely cured that evening; he heard him relate that Our Lady had cured him, and had said to him also: May a sanctuary be raised for Me under the name of Our Lady of Guadalupe. The bishop lost no time in having a small church built at the hill of Tepeyac, and Juan Diego himself dwelt near there to answer the inquiries of the pilgrims who came in great numbers. In effect, nearly all of the land became Catholic in a few years' time, having learned to love the gentle Lady who like God their Father showed Herself to be the ever-watchful friend of the poor. In 1737 the pestilence ceased immediately in Mexico city after the inhabitants made a vow to proclaim Our Lady of Guadalupe the principal Patroness of New Spain. In 1910 She was proclaimed by Saint Pius X Celestial Patroness of all Latin America. Recent studies of the image of Our Lady on the tilma have discovered in one of Her eyes the portrait of Juan Diego, the son She chose to favor by this triduum of heavenly apparitions and conversations

[Image: Finnian_of_Moville_window.jpg]
Saint Finnian or Finan
Bishop in Ireland
(† 552)
Also known as Finian, Finan, Fionán, Fionnán or Cluain Eraird in Irish and as Vennianus and Vinniaus in its Latinised form

Among the primitive teachers of the Irish church the name of Saint Finnian is one of the most famous, after that of Saint Patrick. He was a native of Leinster and was instructed in the elements of Christian virtue by the disciples of Saint Patrick. Having an ardent desire to make greater progress, he went over into Wales, where he met and conversed with Saint David, Saint Gildas and Saint Cathmael, three eminent British Saints. After remaining thirty years in Britain, he returned to Ireland in about the year 520, excellently qualified by his sanctity and sacred learning to restore the spirit of religion among his countrymen. Like a loud trumpet sounding from heaven, he roused the insensibility and inactivity of the lukewarm, and softened the most hardened hearts, long immersed in worldly business and pleasures.

To propagate the work of God, Saint Finnian established several monasteries and schools, chief among which was the monastery of Clonard, which he built and which was his ordinary residence. From this school came several of the principal Saints and Doctors of Ireland: Kiaran the Younger, Columkille, Columba son of Crimthain, the two Brendans, Laserian, Canicus or Kenny, Ruadan, and others. The great monastery of Clonard was a famous seminary of sacred learning.

Saint Finnian was chosen and consecrated Bishop of Clonard. Out of love for his flock and by his zeal for their salvation, he became infirm with the infirm and wept with those that wept. He healed souls as well as the physical infirmities of those who came to him for assistance. His food was bread and herbs, his drink, water, and his bed, the ground, with a stone for his pillow. He departed to Our Lord on the 12th of December in 552.

[Image: VALERY-ABBOT.jpg?fit=928%2C768&ssl=1]
Saint Valery
Abbot in Picardy
(† 619)

Saint Valery was born at Auvergne in the sixth century, where in his childhood he kept his father's sheep. He desired to study and begged a teacher in a nearby school to trace the letters and teach them to him, which the schoolmaster was happy to do. He soon knew how to read and write, and the first use he made of his knowledge was to transcribe the Psalter; he then learned it by heart. He began to frequent the church, and love of his religion soon burnt strongly in his heart.

He was still young when he took the monastic habit in the neighboring monastery of Saint Anthony. No persuasion could convince him to return home when his father came to attempt that move, and the Abbot, recognizing that his firmness was of divine origin, said to the monks, Let us not reject the gift of God. His father eventually was present when he received the tonsure, and shed tears of joy, having accepted his son's determination.

It was soon visible to all that God destined him for some high role in the Church. He left for a more distant monastery in Auxerre, and there he seemed to live a life more angelic than human. A rich lord of the region, after talking with him one day, disposed of his entire fortune without even returning home, to embrace religious poverty.

At that time Saint Columban was preaching in Gaul; Valery with some fellow monks desired to hear him and went to Luxeuil, where they were not disappointed. They asked to be received into that monastery in 594 and were accepted. A corner of the garden which Valery was assigned to cultivate was entirely spared when insects devastated the rest. The holy Abbot Columban allowed him to make his religious profession, and he remained at Luxeuil for some fifteen years. He was a witness when the local king drove away Saint Columban from his foundation, as a foreigner in the land. Soon afterward the monastery was invaded by strangers, but finally Saint Valery and the new Abbot, Saint Eustasius, succeeded in recovering it.
Some time afterwards Saint Valery with another monk left to carry the faith elsewhere, and decided with the permission of King Clotaire to remain as hermits in the region of Amiens. He raised to life a poor condemned man after he had been hanged, and the word of the sanctity of this monk soon spread. The wilderness of Leuconaus was transformed into a community, where from the numerous monastic cells and church the praises of the Lord rose up night and day. In 613, three years after his arrival, this locality became a monastery where the religious lived in common.

A man who had become unable to walk was cured by Saint Valery and replaced him later as Abbot of this monastery; he is today Saint Blitmond. Many more miracles illustrated his life of prayer and sacrifice. Saint Valery died in 619, and his tomb became celebrated by numerous miracles. A basilica was raised there in his honor, at the site where one of his disciples had felled a tree, object of pagan superstitions, at a word from the Saint.
December 12 - Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe
For more on Our Lady of Guadalupe, including Fr. Hewko's excellent catechism on this Marian feast, see HERE.

+ + +

December 12 – Fifth Day within the Octave of the Immaculate Conception
Taken from The Liturgical Year by Dom Prosper Gueranger (1841-1875)

[Image: 2350.jpg?w=609&ssl=1]

Let us contemplate the sentiments of profound respect and maternal tenderness, which fill the soul of our Blessed Lady, now that she has conceived Jesus in her chaste womb: he is her God, and yet he is her Son. Let us think upon this wonderful dignity bestowed upon a creature; and let us honor the Mother of our God. It was by this mystery that was fulfilled the prophecy of Isaias: Behold, a Virgin shall conceive and bear a Son; (Isaiah 7:14) and that of Jeremias: The Lord hath created a new thing upon the earth; a Woman shall compass a Man. (Jeremiah 31:22) The Gentiles themselves had received the tradition of these prophecies. Thus, in the old Pagan Carnutum (Chartres), there was an altar dedicated “To the Virgin that was to bring forth a Son” (Virgini Parituræ); and while modern rationalism, with its ignorant skepticism, was affecting to throw a doubt on this fact of history, the researches of science were discovering that Carnutum was far from being the only city of the West, which had such an altar.

But what human language could express the dignity of our Lady, that carries within her chaste womb Him that is the World’s Salvation! If Moses, after a mere colloquy with God, returned to the Israelites with the rays of the majesty of Jehovah encircling his head;—what an aureola of glory was due to Mary, who has within her, as in a living heaven, that very God himself! The Divine Wisdom tempers the effulgence of her glory that it be not visible to men; and this in order that the state of humility, which the Son of God has chosen as the one in which he would manifest himself to the world, should not be removed at the very onset by the dazzling glory which would, otherwise, have been seen gleaming from his Mother.

The sentiments which filled the Heart of Mary during these months of her ineffable union with the Divine Word, may be thus expressed in the words of the Spouse in the sacred Canticle: I sat under the shadow of him whom I desired; and his fruit was sweet to my palate. I sleep, but my heart watches. My soul melted when he spoke. I to my Beloved and my Beloved to me, who feedeth among the Lilies, till the day break, and the shadows retire. (Song of Solomon 2:3,16,17;5:2,6) And if there ever were a human heart, that was forced, by the overpowering vehemence of its love of God, to use these other words of the same Canticle, it was Mary’s: O daughters of Jerusalem! stay me up with flowers, compass me about with fragrant fruits; for I languish with love. (Song of Solomon 2:5) “These sweet words,” says the venerable Peter of Celles, “are those of the Spouse that dwelleth in the gardens, and is now near the time of her delivery. What so lovely in creation as this Virgin, who loves the Lord with such matchless love and is so exceedingly loved by this her Lord? It is She of whom the Scripture speaks, when it calls the Spouse, the dearest kind. What, too, so lovely as that well-beloved Son of God, born of his beloved Father from all eternity, and now, at the end of time, as the Apostle speaks, formed in the womb of his dearest Mother, and become to her, in the words of the same divine proverb, the sweetest fawn? Let us, therefore, cull our flowers, and offer them to both Child and Mother. But let me briefly tell you what are the flowers you must offer to our Lady. Christ says, speaking of his humanity, I am the flower of the field, and the lily of the valleys. By him, therefore, let us purify our souls and bodies, and so be able to approach our God in chastity. Next, preserve this flower of purity from all that would injure it, for flowers are tender things, and soon droop and fade. Let us wash our hands among the innocent, and, with a pure heart, and pure body, and cleansed lips, and chaste soul, let us gather, in the paradise of our heavenly Father, our fresh flowers for the new Nativity of our New King. With these flowers let us stay up this most saintly Mother, this Virgin of Virgins, this Queen of Queens, this Lady of Ladies; that so we may deserve to receive the blessing of the Mother and the Divine Babe.”

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thoughtco.com%2Fthm...f=1&nofb=1]

Sequence in Honor of Our Blessed Lady
(Taken from the ancient Roman-French Missals)

Ave, Virgo gratiosa,
Virgo Mater gloriosa,
Mater Regis gloriæ.

Hail, Virgin full of grace! glorious Virgin-Mother of Him that King of glory!

Ave, fulgens margarita
Per quam venit mundi vita,
Christus sol justitiæ.

Hail, fair pearl! by whom came the life of the world, Christ, the Sun of Justice.

O oliva fructifera,
Tu pietatis viscera
Nulli claudis hominum.

O fruitful olive! thou excludest no mortal from thy tender compassion.

Nos exsules lætificas,
Ut vitis, dum fructificas,
Salvatorem Dominum.

Thou givest gladness to us exiles, for, like a fruitful vine, thou yieldest thy fruit, Jesus our Lord.

Ave, Virgo Mater Dei,
Tu superni Sol diei,
Et mundi noctis Luna.

Hail, Virgin-Mother of God! thou art the Sun of the heavenly day! thou art the Moon of the world’s night!

Clementior præ cæteris,
Succurre nobis miseris,
Mortalium spes unica.

Tenderest of Mothers! help us poor mortals, for God wills us to hope in thee above all creatures.

Ave, decus virginale,
Templum Dei speciale!
Per te fiat veniale
Omne quod committimus.

Hail, O purest Virgin! God’s special Temple! pray for us to him, that he would forgive us all our sins.

Tu nobis es singularis:
Tu nos ducas, Stella maris:
Tu nos semper tuearis:
En ad te confugimus.

Thou art unto us what no other creature is. Guide us, O Star of the Sea! Defend us always and in all places. We fly to thee in our necessities.

Ad te, pia, suspiramus,
Si non ducis, deviamus;
Ergo doce quid agamus;
Post hunc finem ut vivamus
Cum Sanctis perenniter.

Tender Mother! we pray thee guide us, or we go astray. Tell us, what would thy Jesus have us do? that so, after this life ended, we may live for ever with the Saints.

Jesu Christe, Fili Dei,
Tota salus nostræ spei;
Tuæ matris interventu
Angelorum nos conventu
Fac gaudere jugiter. Amen.

O Jesus! Son of God, our only Savior, in whom rests all our hope! grant, by the intercession of thy Mother, that we may be united to the Angels in eternal joy. Amen.

A Prayer For the Time of Advent
(The Mozarabic Breviary, First Sunday of Advent)

Audivimus, Christe; confitemur, et credimus, quod de sinu Patris egrediens veneris, ut carnis nostræ vestibulo cincereris, liberaturus, scilicet susceptæ Incarnationis mysterio, quod perierat naturæ vitiatæ contagio. Fac nos, prænuntiata Adventus tui gaudia, promptissima surrectionis devotione excipere: ut quia tu e loco patrio, secretoque progrediens, salvaturus homines, humanitus properasti ad publicum; nos e loco criminis exeuntes, munditiores concitum Divinitatis tuæ prospectemus excursum; ut extrema vitæ nostræ, nullius discriminis conculcatione involvens; sic provoces terrore justitiæ, ut solita justifices pietate. Amen.

We have heard, O Christ, we confess, and believe, that thou art come form the bosom of thy Father, to clothe thyself in the cover of our flesh by the mystery of the Incarnation, that thou mayest thus deliver mankind, that had been lost by the corruption of sinful nature. Grant us so devoutly to welcome the joyful tidings of thy Coming, that as thou, issuing from the divine sanctuary of thy Father’s bosom, didst, for man’s salvation, come into the world, in the form of man; we may abandon the sins in which we have been living, and hasten, thus purified, to meet thy Divine Majesty; that at the close of our lives, the fear of thy threats may not crush us by despair; but make us now so tremble that the dread of thy justice, that thy wonted mercy may then justify us. Amen.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Frender.fineartamerica.c...f=1&nofb=1]
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre