The Recusant: What Is Uniformitarianism?
Continued from The Recusant Issue 55

Is Uniformitarianism Catholic?

Fourth Lateran Council:
“We firmly believe and we confess simply that the true God…by His own omnipotent power at once from the beginning of time created each creature from nothing…” (Dz. 428)

First Vatican Council:
“This sole true God ‘immediately from the beginning of time fashioned each creature, spiritual and corporeal, out of nothing’ […]” (Dz. 1783)

The Catechism of the Council of Trent
“ ‘CREATOR OF HEAVEN AND EARTH.’ The necessity of having previously imparted to the faithful a knowledge of the omnipotence of God, will appear from what we are now about to made the explain with regard to the creation of the world. For when already convinced of the omnipotence of the Creator, we more readily believe the wondrous production of so stupendous a work. For God formed not the world from materials of any sort, but created it from nothing, and that not by constraint or necessity, but spontaneously, and of his own free will. … with infinite wisdom and power, attributes peculiar to the Divinity, [He] created all things in the beginning: ‘He spoke and they were made, He commanded and they were created.’ (Ps. XXXII, 9; CXLVIII, 5)  […]

By referring to the sacred history of Genesis the pastor will make himself familiar with these things for the instruction of the faithful.” [“Catechism of the Council of Trent”, Rev. J Donovan, Baltimore, 1829 - p.29 ff. “On the First Article of the Creed” ]

Sacred Scripture:
“Behold this second epistle I write to you, my dearly beloved, in which I stir up by way of admonition your sincere mind: That you may be mindful of those words which I told you before from the holy prophets, and of your apostles, of the precepts of the Lord and Saviour. Knowing this first, that in the last days there shall come deceitful scoffers, walking after their own lusts, saying: Where is his promise or his coming? for since the time that the fathers slept, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.”
[...venient in novissimis diebus in deceptione illusores … dicentes: ubi est promissio, aut adventus eius? ex quo enim patres dormierunt, omnia sic perseverant ab initio creaturae.]
(2 Peter 3:1-4)

“And the flood was forty days upon the earth, and the waters increased, and lifted up the ark on high from the earth. For they overflowed exceedingly: and filled all on the face of the earth: and the ark was carried upon the waters. And the waters prevailed beyond measure upon the earth: and all the high mountains under the whole heaven were covered. The water was fifteen cubits higher than the mountains which it covered.”
[“...et aquae praevaluerunt nimis super terram: opertique sunt omnes montes excelsi sub universo caelo. Quindecim cubitis altior fuit aqua super montes, quos operuerat.”] 
(Gen. 7:17-20)

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Recusant: What Is Uniformitarianism? - by Stone - 04-17-2021, 07:02 PM