Fourth Sunday in Lent
HOMILY VII - THE CITY OF GOD
by St. Thomas Aquinas

FOURTH SUNDAY IN LENT.—(FROM THE EPISTLE.)

“But Jerusalem which is above is free.” — Gal. iv. 26.

In these words, the City of God, which rules in Heaven, is commended on three accounts. Firstly, for situation: “which is above." Secondly, for its name: “Jerusalem.” Thirdly, for its liberty: ‘is free."

I. On the first head it is to be noted, that for four reasons it is commended as being "above"—4(1) For purity: uncleannesses are not “above,” but reach down into the vallies. In this celestial city there is nothing unclean: Apoc. xxi. 27, "There shall in no wise enter into it anything that defileth." (2) For health: for that which is placed "above" is healthy; so is this celestial city, where there is neither pain nor death: Apoc. xxi. 4, “There shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain." (3) For safety, for the city placed “ above" is the more secure: Ps. xxxi. 21, "He hath showed me His marvellous kindness in a strong city." (4) For spaciousness; for the earth which is below is, as it were, a point in the sphere, but the heavens are the circumference: S. Austin, "But do you marvel that the breadth of the heavens are not limited by narrow boundaries? From the extreme boundary of Spain to the streets of this city, the . Space which intervenes is compassed in a very few days, if the wind carries the ship; whilst that celestial region takes the swiftest star a journey of thirty years to reach it." 

II. On the second head it is to be noted, that inasmuch as the city is named Jerusalem, it is to be commended for many reasons; for many things are spoken of Jerusalem in Scripture which must be understood of the heavenly Jerusalem. Ten qualities are here noticed—(1) Its wonderful beauty and fairness: Cant. vi. 3, "Thou art beautiful, O my love, as Tirzah, comely as Jerusalem." (2) Its inexpressible love and charity: Isa. xxxi. 9, "The Lord, Whose fire is in Zion and His furnace in Jerusalem." (8) The delightful splendour of its brightness: Tobit xiii. 13, "Jerusalem, City of God, ...... Thou shalt shine with a glorious light, and all the ends of the earth shall worship thee." (4) The splendour of its walls, streets, and gates: Tobit xiii. 21, "The gates of Jerusalem shall be built of sapphire and emerald, and all the walls thereof round about of precious stones. All its streets shall be paved with white and clean stones." (5) Its abundance of all things: Isa. xxxiii. 20, Vulg., "Their eyes shall see Jerusalem a rich habitation." (6) The affluence of all delights: Isa. lxvi. 10, 11, "Rejoice ye with Jerusalem, and be glad with her, all ye that love her: rejoice with joy for her, ...... be delighted with the abundance of her glory." (7) Its perpetual and continual joy: Isa. lxv. 18, “I create Jerusalem a rejoicing.” (8) Its eternal honour and glory: Isa. lx. 1, Vulg., “Arise, be enlightened, O Jerusalem; for thy light is come, and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee.” (9) The happiness of eternal peace: Isa. Ixvi. 12, "Behold I will extend peace to her like a river.” (10) The eternal happiness of blessed light : Tobit xiii. 22, "Alleluia shall be sung in its streets." 

III. On the third head it is to be noted, that there will be deliverance there from five evils—(1) From the vexation of demons: Isa. xiv. 3, “And it shall come to pass in that day that the Lord shall give thee rest-from thy sorrow, and from thy fear, and from the hard bondage." (2) From the affliction of all evil: Tobit xiii. 19, “The Lord our God hath delivered Jerusalem His city from all her troubles." (3) From the corruption of the creature: Rom. viii. 21, "The creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption." 4) From the death of the body: Rom. vii. 24, 25, “Who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord." (5) Liberty from the servitude of sin: S. John viii. 36, “If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed." Blessed, therefore, is that city where there is no evil, where all is good. To which good may we be brought, &c. 

HOMILY VIII - THE WAYS AND WORKS OF CHRIST

FOURTH SUNDAY IN LENT.—(FROM THE GOSPEL.)

"Jesus went over the sea of Galilee.” —S. John vi. 1.

THERE are three things especially in this Gospel which Jesus is said to have done. Firstly, He "went over the sea.” Secondly, He ascended into a mountain: "went up into a mountain.” Thirdly, He fed multitudes: "Jesus took bread," &c.

I. On the first head it is to be noted, that Jesus did three things in connection with the sea—(1) He calmed it. (2) He walked upon it with dry feet.  (3) He went over it. These three things Christ did in the world: Ps. civ. 25, "This great and wide sea." (1) Christ calmed the world in reconciling it with God the Father. (2) Walking over the world with dry feet, by loving nothing earthly. (3) He went over the world, ascending into heaven. Of the first: 2 Cor. v. 19, "God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself.” Of the second: S. John xiv. 30, “The prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in Me." Of the third: S. John xvi. 28, "I leave the world and go to the Father."

II. On the second head it is to be noted, that in the Gospels it is recorded that Christ did seven things on the mountain— (1) On it He overcame the Devil. (2) On it He preached to His disciples. (3) He was transfigured on the mount. (4) On it He prayed frequently. (5) On it He appeared to His disciples. (6) On it He fed the multitude. (7) From it He ‘ascended into heaven. Of the first: S. Matt. iv. 8, "The Devil taketh Him up into an exceeding high mountain." Of the second: S. Matt. v. 1, “Seeing the multitudes, He went up into a mountain, and when He was set His disciples came unto Him.” Of the third: S. Matt. xvii. 1, 2, "Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, and was transfigured before them.” Of the fourth: S. Matt. xiv. 23, “He went up into a mountain apart to pray.” Of the fifth: S. Matt. xxviii. 16, “The eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.” Of the sixth: S. John vi. 3, 11, “ Jesus went up into a mountain ...... Jesus took the loaves.” And of the seventh: S. Luke xxiv. 50, "He led them forth as far as Bethany, and He lifted up His hands.” 

III. On the third head it is to be noted, that in two villages the Lord fed the multitudes with twelve loaves, and these twelve signify the breads with which He feeds those who follow Him in the way—(1) of charity, (2) joy, (3) peace, (4) long-suffering, (5) gentleness, (6) goodness, (7) faith, (8) meekness, (9) temperance, (10) modesty, (11) continence, (12) chastity. "These are the twelve breads of propitiation of which it is spoken: Exod. xxv. 30, “Thou shalt set upon a table shew-bread before Me always.” Of all these: Gal. v. 22, 23, “But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace,” &c.
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre

Messages In This Thread
Fourth Sunday in Lent - by Stone - 03-14-2021, 05:31 PM
RE: Fourth Sunday in Lent - by Stone - 03-14-2021, 05:51 PM
RE: Fourth Sunday in Lent - by Stone - 03-27-2022, 09:28 AM
RE: Fourth Sunday in Lent - by Stone - 03-27-2022, 11:13 AM
RE: Fourth Sunday in Lent - by Stone - 03-27-2022, 11:33 AM
RE: Fourth Sunday in Lent - by Stone - 03-10-2024, 11:30 AM