The Eucharistic Meditations of the Cure d'Ars (St. John Mary Vianney)
MEDITATION 10: THE HOLY EUCHARIST INCREASES SANCTIFYING GRACE IN US

He who eats My Flesh shall live by Me. It is You, O my God, Who will be his life. What a
transformation life works where it meets with no obstacle. From inert dust, from a little mud, it
brings forth a flower which delights us with its perfume and colour; it communicates to it its nature
and its properties. It is thus You treat my soul by Holy Communion, O Jesus. You bow down even
to me, You, the substantial and uncreated life. You divinize the dust of my nothingness, and this
nothingness, when divinized, produces fruits worthy of You, of infinite value because it is a divine
sap which makes it fertile. O Jesus, be my life, my holiness, my love.

1. HOLY COMMUNION INCREASES SANCTIFYING GRACE IN US.

This is easy to understand, because when we receive Jesus Christ, we receive the source of all
sorts of spiritual blessings.

Jesus Christ is the light.

When we receive Him, we feel our faith reanimated. We see more clearly the truths of our
holy religion. We realize more the gravity of sin, and its dangers. The thought of the judgment
frightens us more, and the thought of the loss of God becomes a greater grief.

Jesus Christ is the life.

In receiving Him, our soul is strengthened: we are firmer in the fight; more unyielding in trials
and temptations. Food is not changed into our substance immediately, says St. John Chrysostom,
but the action of the divine Blood on our soul is instantaneous, and the soul feels at once its
marvellous effects.

Jesus Christ is love.

When we receive Him, our intentions are more pure in all we do. Our love is inflamed more
and more. The thought that we have Jesus Christ in our hearts, the joy that we experience in this
happy moment seems to unite us and bind us in such a way to God that our hearts can think of
and desire only God.

Jesus Christ is the sovereign good.

In receiving Him, the thought of the perfect possession of God fills us in such a way that our
life appears long. We envy not those who live a long time, but those who set out soon to be
reunited with God forever. All that tells us of the dissolution of our bodies fills us with joy.
By increasing Grace, the Blessed Sacrament enlightens our faith, revives our hope and inflames
our love, and spreads abroad in our souls with greater abundance, the gifts of Fortitude, Fear of the
Lord and Piety.

2. SANCTIFYING GRACE IN HOLY COMMUNION ADORNS THE SOUL AND COMMUNICATES TO IT A
FECUNDITY WHICH IS THE WEALTH AND ORNAMENT OF THE SPRITUAL LIFE.

If anyone could put his hand into liquid gold, says St. John Chrysostom, he would draw it out
covered with gold. The Eucharist does more for our souls. He who buys a slave, buys him with
gold, and if he wishes to adorn him he does it also with gold. Jesus Christ has bought us with His
Blood, and He adorns us with His Blood. You who receive this Blood are clothed with the Royal
Robe of Jesus Christ.

What do I say? They are clothed with the King Himself.

This Blood makes shine in us the royal image of Christ. It produces an incredible beauty, and
when the soul is often watered and nourished, its nobility is never tarnished.

From the earthly Paradise there burst out a spring which produced rivers; from this table there
pours forth a stream which is the source of all grace — grace overflowing without stint or limit.
Near this source spring up, not sterile willows, but trees which mount up to Heaven producing
their fruits in their time, fruits which will never wither. These fruits are abundant, of great variety,
delicious. “They are,” said the Curé d’Ars, “humility, gentleness, mortification, modesty, charity,
virginity.” A soul that communicates worthily becomes inexhaustibly fruitful, and one no longer
recognizes it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Eucharistic Meditations of the Cure d'Ars (St. John Mary Vianney) - by Hildegard of Bingen - 03-22-2021, 04:43 PM