Every Day with Saint Francis de Sales - March
Every Day with Saint Francis de Sales

Teachings and Examples from the Life of the Saint by Salesiana Publishers

March 13th (page 73)

We have two lives; the first is according to the “old man” with the faults, weaknesses and infirmities inherited from our father Adam. Therefore we live in the sin of Adam, and ours is a mortal life, more like death than life. In the second life we live according to the “new man”; namely, according to the graces, favors and will of the Savior. As a consequence, we live in the redemption, for eternal salvation. This new life is a loving, full and sanctifying one. Everyone who wishes to live according to this new life must pass through the death of the old life, crucifying his flesh with all its evil appetites.

(Letters Book 1, CH. 7; O. V, pp. 31-32)

On March 13th, 1599, Cannon de Chisse, who was in Rome with our saint visited the catacombs and found him in tears. This caused him to believe that he had got news of the death of Bishop De Granier, To ease his worry, Francis said simply, “No, my dear brother, that is not what is making me cry. Oh dear me! Should you be surprised that I shed some tears for my unworthiness when I pray over the tombs of those who have had the good fortune of shedding their blood for the faith. Oh, how much martyrdom should be desired! But I must humble myself because I do not merit, sinner that I am, the graces of the saints, who are God’s favorites.”

(A.S. III, p. 310)

If you feel the urge to do great things, the first thing is to humble]
and distrust yourself. Then throw yourself in the arms of God,
trusting in Him and His grace! Only in that way will you succeed.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Every Day with Saint Francis de Sales - March - by Hildegard of Bingen - 03-13-2021, 09:25 PM