Every Day with Saint Francis de Sales - March
Every Day with Saint Francis de Sales

Teachings and Examples from the Life of the Saint by Salesiana Publishers

March 7th (page 67)

How dangerous sin is, be it ever so small and slight! See that you do not loiter by the wayside but always keep on walking straight ahead. During this mortal life it is impossible to remain long in one state, and the person who does not go ahead tends to slip back. Keep on the watch against venial sin, since, neglecting the help of grace even once, we leave ourselves open to commit the same sin again; and with the multiplication of venial sins we dispose ourselves to commit mortal sins.

(Sermons 58; O. X. p. 259)

On March 7th, 1593, the twenty-six year old Francis de Sales, through the intervention of his friends, who took all the necessary steps without his being aware of the fact, was promoted by Rome to the dignity of provost of the Cathedral Church of Saint Peter in Geneva. On this same day in 1601, the saint, already nominated bishop of Nicopoli, and coadjutor with the right of succession to the bishopric of Geneva, began the preaching of his first Lenten sermons at Annecy, a service he performed on three different occasions.

Francis de Sales had a great love for Saint Thomas Aquinas and preached about him on his feast day every year. Francis generally took this theme from the words of the Gospel, “Jesus answered them, and said: My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me..” [John 7:16]

(A.S. III, p. 150)

Why are you in such a hurry? Go about your work slowly and peacefully,
Doing one thing at a time. In this way you will make good progress.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Every Day with Saint Francis de Sales - March - by Hildegard of Bingen - 03-07-2021, 02:46 PM