Every Day with Saint Francis de Sales - March
Every Day with Saint Francis de Sales

Teachings and Examples from the Life of the Saint by Salesiana Publishers

March 6th (page 66)

Do not get upset about the dryness and coldness you are suffering; be consoled in the depths of your heart, remembering the words of our Lord, “Blessed are [3] the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are the meek: for they shall possess the land. Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill. [Mt 5:3-6] How happy you should be to serve God in the desert, without manna and without water, consoled only by the fact that He is guiding you and you are suffering for Him.

[3] "The poor in spirit": That is, the humble; and they whose spirit is not set upon riches.
(Letters 1986; O. XXI, p. 25)

On March 6th, 1615, Francis de Sales went to stay for a few days with his family. He had learned that the duke of Savoy was very upset with him and his brothers because of false reports made by enemies who were endeavoring to lower the duke’s esteem for the saint. Consequently, Francis wrote to President Favre, “I spent some days at Sales, and when I was called back here at holy time of Lent, I discovered that some calumnies were circulating about me and my brothers. I would only laugh these off, except that I know that they have upset our sovereign. This hurts me very much because I have so often enjoyed the benefits of your kindness. But . . . is it possible that our prince has once again believed false reports which he has already, at other times, found to be mere fabrications? It has always been wrong to hate one’s neighbor, but here if seems it is wrong to love me. The collaterals, who are above reproach, have been reprimanded very severely only because they love me with a love due to me in my position. Certainly, my dear brother, I am proud of being loved by you, but God knows that I would not wish you to suffer abuse because of that love. There will come a day when loving me will no longer be an occasion of reproof for anyone.” All today see that this prophecy has been verified. It is a great advantage to have loved our saint and to have been loved by him, and there is no one today who would not glory to place himself or herself under the protection of Francis de Sales.

(A.S. III, p. 128)

If unjustly accused, bear witness to the truth quietly and calmly.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Every Day with Saint Francis de Sales - March - by Hildegard of Bingen - 03-06-2021, 09:27 PM