Sermons of St. John Mary Vianney
YOU WILL ANSWER FOR THEIR SOULS

Book "The Sermons of the Cure of Ars" by TAN Books (St. John Mary Vianney) - pages 84-85

But, you will tell me, we cannot be always following them around. We have other things to do.

As to that, my dear brethren, I will say nothing. All I know is that you will answer for their souls as much as for your own.

But we do all we can.

I do not know whether you do all you can, but this much I do know: if your children incur damnation at home with you, you, too, will be damned. That much I know, and
nothing else.You may go on saying "No" to that, saying that I go too far. You will agree with it if you have not entirely lost your faith. That alone should suffice to cast you into
a state of despair from which you could not emerge.But I know well that you will not take another step to fulfill any better your duties to your children. You are not at all disturbed,
and you are almost right, for you will have plenty of timeto torment yourselves during all eternity. We will pass on.

TO THEIR SHAME IT MUST BE SAID

Book "The Sermons of the Cure of Ars" by TAN Books (St. John Mary Vianney) - page 85

You should never put your maidservants or your daughters to sleep in quarters to which the men will be going in the morning looking for food. This is something which, to the shame of fathers and mothers, must be said. These unfortunate children, or servants, are confused and embarrassed getting up and dressing in front of people who have no more religion than if they had never heard anyone speak of the one true God. Often, even, the beds for these unfortunate people have no curtains around them.

But, you will say to me, if we had to do all the things you say, there would be an awful lot of work to do.

My friend, it is work which you must do, and if you do not do it, you will be punished on account of it: see....

I know very well that you will do nothing, or practically nothing, in respect of what I have just been teaching you. But no matter. I will always continue to tell you what you ought to do. Then all the wrongdoing will be yours and not mine.... When God comes to judge you, you will not be able to say that you did not know what you should have done....

I shall remind you of what I am telling you today.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sermons of St. John Mary Vianney - by Hildegard of Bingen - 01-21-2021, 12:01 PM