Every Day with Saint Francis de Sales - January
Every Day with Saint Francis de Sales

Teachings and Examples from the Life of the Saint by Salesiana Publishers

January 24th (page 24)

During the course of the day, recall as often as possible that you are in God’s presence.  Consider what God does and what you are doing.  You will see His eyes turned toward you and constantly fixed on you with incomparable love.  Then you will say to Him, “O God, why do I not look always at Thee, just as Thee always look at me?  Why do Thou think so often of me, O Lord, and why do I think so seldom of Thee?” Where are we, O my soul?  God is our true place, and where are we?

(INT. Part II, Ch. 12; O. III, p. 92)

On January 24th, the revised calendar commemorates the feast of Saint Francis de Sales because his body was solemnly transferred from Lyons to Annecy on January 24th, 1623.

On this day in January 1604, then the feast of Saint Timothy, Francis de Sales spoke eloquently of the zeal of this bishop for the conversion of the people of Ephesus.  Many people were moved, among them Luisa of Chatel, a native of Normandy.  Educated at court, this lady enjoyed all the privileges that this world esteems.  Her education and her beautiful qualities had nourished a worldly spirit in her, and vanity – so opposed to the Christian spirit – filled her heart.  However, she was so moved by the words of our saint that she threw herself at his feet, expressing a desire to be converted and to give herself to God without reserve.  The holy bishop received her like a lost sheep who had returned from the desert of vanity to the fold of devotion.  She started by putting down in writing his words of advice, and these letters were to form the first draft of that wonderful book entitled, The Introduction to a Devout Life.

(A.S. I, p. 603)

Take this as a general rule:  judge with charity all that you see others doing.  When that is not possible, excuse them and pray for them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Every Day with Francis de Sales for January - by Hildegard of Bingen - 01-24-2021, 03:36 PM