Fourth Sunday of Advent [Rorate Sunday]
THE ADVENT HOMILIES OF ST. THOMAS AQUINAS
Taken from here.

HOMILY VIII
THE TRUE JOY

Fourth Sunday in Advent (From the Epistle)

Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice. Let your moderation be known unto all men.” — Philip. iv. 4. 5.

The Apostle exhorted us in the end of the preceding Epistle that we should reserve all things to Christ, the true Judge; but, lest we should be overcome by the long delay, he said that He was about to come in a very little while. "The Lord,” he said, “is at hand.” But the Apostle in the words of the text teaches three things — (1) he exhorts to inward holiness; (2) to honest conversation; (3) he subjoins the reason.

I. Inward holiness consists in two things —firstly, that evil affections should be renovated; and, secondly, that good affections should be obtained. S. Bernard said that holy affection makes the saint, whilst evil affection, is to rejoice in the world.

II. But there is an evil joy of the world, as in evil things, in vanities, in base pleasures. The joy in evil things is to rejoice in wickedness; the joy of vanities is to rejoice in riches, which are vain; and the joy in base pleasures is to rejoice in wantonness. Of the first, Prov. ii. 14, "Who rejoice to do evil, and delight in the frowardness of the wicked.” Of the second, Ps. xlix. 6, "They that trust in their wealth, and boast themselves in the multitude of their riches.” Of the third, Job xxi. 19, "And rejoice at the sound of the organ." S. James v. 5, “Ye have lived in pleasure on the earth, and been wanton.” S. Augustine says of these three kinds of joy — "What is the joy of the world? Wantonness is the impurity of the wickedness of the world; to toy with the games, to be luxurious, to be allured, to be swallowed up, and to offend by baseness. To rejoice in the Lord is that joy which tends to salvation; for the loving-kindness of the Lord leads to justification, for He is most bountiful by way of remuneration. For a very small servitude He gives eternal life and the heavenly kingdom, and such a Lord is without doubt to be rejoiced in; Who saves His servants by redeeming them; Who dismisses all their debts by justifying them; and Who will crown them with an eternal kingdom by preserving them." 

Of the first, Isa. xxxiii. 28, "The Lord is our King; He will save us." S. Matt. i. 21, "He shall save His people from their sins." Of the second, Rom. v. 1, "Therefore, being justified by faith, we have peace with God.” Of the third, Apoc. ii. 10, "Be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life." Of these three, Isa. lxi. 10, "I will greatly rejoice in the Lord. My soul shall be joyful in my God, for He hath clothed me with the garments of salvation. He hath covered me with the robe of righteousness as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.” To which joy may we be led through Jesus Christ our Lord. 

HOMILY IX
TO CRY TO GOD

Fourth Sunday in Advent.— (FROM THE GOSPEL.)

I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness.” —S. John i. 23

In the former Gospel it was seen how Christ manifoldly praised John; in the present Gospel it is noted how John humbled himself. Morally, this world is understood by the text, Deut. viii. 15, "Who led thee through that great and terrible wilderness, wherein were fiery serpents, and scorpions, and drought." The scorpion represents luxury, and the drought is avarice. In this desert the creature proclaims Christ, the Just One and the Preacher. The creature cries three things —firstly, that we should know God; secondly, that we should love Him; thirdly, that we should give Him the praise that is due to Him. Of the first, S. Augustine said, "All things cry, God made me.” Of the second, he says again, "Heaven and earth, and all things which are in them on all sides, tell me that I ought to love Thee; neither do they cease to say this to all things, that they may be inexcusable if they love Thee not.’’ Of the third, he says, “It is wonderful that man rests from the praise of God when all creation invites us to praise Him." 

In like manner Christ cries threefoldly —firstly, in doing miracles; secondly, by preaching things useful and profitable; thirdly, in dying for us. Of the first, 8. John xi. 48, "He cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth." Of the second, B. John vii. 87, "Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto Me and drink." Of the third, S. Matt. xxvi. 5, 6, “Jesus, when He had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost." In the first cry His power appeared; in the second, His wisdom; in the third, His ineffable goodness and love. These three cries were necessary for our redemption —that He might be able to redeem; that He might know how to redeem; and that He might be willing to redeem us. Of these three reasons, 1 Cor. i. 80, "Christ Jesus, Who of God is made unto us wisdom and righteousness and sanctification;" also verse 24, "Christ, the power of God, and the wisdom of God." Christ is the anointed One, and therefore He is good; He is power, and therefore He is powerful; He is Wisdom, and therefore He is wise. In like manner the just cry manifoldly —firstly, in praying; secondly, in confessing; thirdly, in praising. Of the first way, Ps. Ixxvi. 1, "I cried unto God with my voice; even unto God with my voice, and He gave ear unto me." Of the second way, Ps. xxxii. 5, “I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord, and Thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin.” Of the third way, Ps. lvii. 2, "I will cry unto God most high, unto God that performeth all things for me," for we ought to give Him thanks for His mercy. 

The Preacher likewise ought to cry three things -firstly, the wickedness of men; secondly, the misery of human weakness; thirdly, that the way of the Lord should be prepared. Of the first, Isa. lviii. 1, "Cry aloud, spare not; lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and show My people their transgression." Of the second, Isa. xl. 6, "The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass." Of the third, Isa. xl. 8, “The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord," &c.  Purity, humility, and justice prepare the way of the Lord. Of the first and second, Isa. lxii. 10, "Prepare ye the way;" and he adds the mode of preparing it — "Cast up the high way," by removing the loftiness of pride, that the way may be made by humility; "Gather out the stones," by the removing of the other sins, which preparation is the office of purity. Of the third, S. John 1. 28, "Make straight the way of the Lord," and by purity make the rough ways plain. Humility orders us in relation to God; Justice regulates us in regard to our neighbours; and Purity with regard to ourselves. May we so govern ourselves that we may be worthy to obtain salvation through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fourth Sunday of Advent - by Stone - 12-20-2020, 07:58 AM
RE: Fourth Sunday of Advent [Rorate Sunday] - by Stone - 12-19-2021, 07:24 AM