St. Alphonsus Liguori: Daily Meditations for Fourth Week after Pentecost
Thursday – Fourth Week after Pentecost

Morning Mediation

IX.-HOW TO CONVERSE CONTINUALLY AND FAMILIARLY WITH GOD

That you may be able ever to keep yourself in a state of recollection and union with God, turn everything you see or hear into an occasion for raising your mind to God. Running water will remind you how your life is running on and carrying you nearer and nearer to death; and the lamp going out for want of oil will warn you that thus also shall you one day see your life come to an end.

I.

That you may be able to keep yourself ever in a state of recollection and union with God, as long as you live, and as far as may be possible, turn everything that you may see or hear into an occasion for raising your mind to God, or for taking a glance into eternity. For example, when you see running water reflect that your life is also in like manner running on, and carrying you nearer and nearer to death. When you see a lamp going out for want of oil, reflect that thus also one day you will have to see your life come to its end. When you see the graves or remains of the dead, consider that you too will one day be buried in a grave. When you see the great ones of this world rejoicing in their wealth or distinction, pity their folly, and say: For me God is sufficient: Some trust in chariots, some in horses, but we in the name of the Lord-(Ps. xix. 8). Let them glory in such vanity; I will make nothing my glory but the grace and the love of my God. When you behold the pompous funerals, or the fine sepulchral monuments of the great ones that are dead, say: If these are damned what is the good of all this pomp to them?

II.

When you behold the sea in a calm or in storm, consider the difference there is between a soul in, and a soul out of, the grace of God. When you see a tree that is withered, consider that a soul without God is serviceable for nothing but to be cast into fire. If you ever happen to see one who has been guilty of some great crime, trembling with shame and fright in the presence of his judge, or of his father, or of his bishop, consider what the terror of a sinner will be in the presence of Christ, his Judge. When it thunders, and you become alarmed, reflect how those miserable ones who are damned tremble as they hear continually in hell the thunders of the divine wrath. If you ever see one who has been condemned to suffer a painful death, and who says: Is there, then, no longer any means for my escaping death? consider what will be the despair of a soul when it is condemned to hell, as it says, Is there, then, no longer any means for escaping from eternal ruin?

Spiritual Reading

CORAM SANCTISSIMO

TWENTY-NINTH VISIT

Behold I stand at the gate and knock-(Apoc. iii. 20)

O most loving Shepherd, Who, not satisfied with sacrificing Thyself once to death on the altar of the Cross for the love of Thy flock, hast moreover been pleased to hide Thyself in this divine Sacrament on the altars of our churches, to be always near, and to knock at the doors of our hearts, and thus obtain admission! Ah, did I but know how to enjoy Thy nearness to me as did the sacred Spouse in the Canticles, who says: I sat down under his shadow, whom I desired-(Cant. ii. 3). Ah, did I but love Thee, did I but really love Thee, my most amiable Jesus, I also should never wish to leave the foot of a Tabernacle, night or day; and fixing myself near Thy Majesty, concealed under the apparent shadow of the sacred species, I also should find that divine sweetness and that happiness which souls enamoured of Thee find in Thy Presence. Ah, do Thou be graciously pleased to draw me by the odour of Thy beauties, and of the immense love which Thou dost manifest in this Sacrament: Draw me, we will run after thee to the odour of thine ointments-(Cant. i. 3). Yes, my Saviour, I will leave creatures and all earthly pleasures, to run after Thee in this Sacrament: As olive plants round about thy table -(Ps. cxxvii. 3). Oh, what abundant fruits of virtues do those happy souls, like olive plants, bring forth to God, who assist with love before the sacred Tabernacle! But I am ashamed to appear before Thee, O my Jesus, so naked and so devoid of virtue. Thou hast commanded that all who approach the altar to honour Thee should present a gift: Thou shalt not appear empty before me -(Exod. xxiii. 15). What, then, am I to do? Am I no more to appear before Thee? Ah, no; this would not please Thee. Poor as I am, I will approach Thee; and do Thou provide me with the gifts Thou desirest. I see that Thou dwellest in this Sacrament, not only to reward Thy lovers, but also to provide for the poor out of Thy riches.

Be it so, then, let us now begin. I adore Thee, O King of my heart, and true Lover of men. O Shepherd, loving Thy sheep beyond all bounds, to this throne of Thy love I now approach; and having nothing else to present Thee, I offer Thee my miserable heart, that it may be entirely consecrated to Thy love and to Thy good pleasure. With this heart I can love Thee, and I will love Thee as much as I am able. Draw it, then, to Thyself, and bind it wholly to Thy will, so that, filled with consolation, I may be able from henceforth to say, as Thy dear disciple said, that I am bound by the chains of Thy love: I, Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ-(Eph. iii. 1). Unite me, O my Lord, entirely to Thyself, and make me forget myself, that I may have the happiness one day to lose all things and even myself, to find Thee alone, and to love Thee forever. I love Thee, my Sacramental Lord. To Thee do I bind myself, to Thee do I unite myself. Make me find Thee; make me love Thee, and do Thou never more separate Thyself from me.

Ejac. My Jesus, Thou alone art sufficient for me!

AN ACT OF SPIRITUAL COMMUNION

My Jesus, I believe that Thou art truly present in the Most Holy Sacrament. I love Thee above all things, and I desire to possess Thee within my soul. Since I am unable now to receive Thee sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace Thee as already there, and unite myself wholly to Thee; never permit me to be separated from Thee.

VISIT TO MARY

St. Bernard calls Mary “the royal road of the Saviour”; the safe road by which to find the Saviour and salvation. Since, then, it is true, O Queen, that thou art, as the same Saint says, “the chariot in which our souls go to God”-the one who guides us to Him, ah, Lady, thou must not suppose that I shall advance towards God if thou dost not carry me in thine arms! Carry me, carry me; and if I resist, carry me by main force. Do all the violence thou canst by the sweet attractions of thy charity to my soul and to my rebellious will, that they may leave creatures, to seek God alone and His divine will. Show the court of Heaven the greatness of thy power. After so many wonders of thy mercy, show this one more; make a poor creature who is far from God wholly His.

Ejac. O Mary, thou canst make me a saint; I hope for this grace from thee!

Concluding Prayer

Most holy Immaculate Virgin and my Mother Mary, to thee, who art the Mother of my Lord, and Queen of the world, the advocate, the hope, the refuge of sinners, I have recourse today I, who am the most miserable of all. I render thee my most humble homage, O great Queen, and I thank thee for all the graces thou hast conferred on me until now, particularly for having delivered me from hell, which I have so often deserved. I love thee, O most amiable Lady; and for the love which I bear thee, I promise to serve thee always, and to do all in my power to make others love thee also. I place in thee all my hopes; I confide my salvation to thy care. Accept me for thy servant, and receive me under thy mantle, O Mother of Mercy. And since thou art so powerful with God, deliver me from all temptations, or rather obtain for me the strength to triumph over them until death. Of thee I ask a perfect love of Jesus Christ. From thee I hope to die a good death.

O my Mother, for the love which thou bearest to God, I beseech thee to help me at all times, but especially at the last moment of my life. Leave me not, I beseech thee, until thou seest me safe in Heaven, blessing thee, and singing thy mercies for all eternity. Amen. So I hope. So may it be.

Evening Meditation

THE PRACTICE OF THE LOVE OF JESUS CHRIST

XLII.-HE THAT LOVES JESUS CHRIST WISHES WHAT JESUS CHRIST WISHES

I.

We must receive with resignation, not merely the crosses which come directly from God; for instance, ill-health, scanty talents, accidental reverses of fortune; but such, moreover, as come indirectly from God, and directly from our fellow-men; for instance, persecutions, thefts, injuries; for all, in reality, come from God. David was one day insulted by one of his vassals called Semei, who not only upbraided him with words of contumely, but even threw stones at him. One of the courtiers would have forthwith avenged the insult by cutting off the head of the offender, but David replied: Let him alone, and let him curse; for the Lord hath bid him curse David-(2 Kings xvi. 10); or, in other words, God makes use of him to chastise me for my sins, and therefore He allowed him to pursue me with injuries.

II.

Wherefore St. Mary Magdalen de Pazzi says that all our prayers should have for their end to obtain from God the grace to follow His holy will in all things. Certain souls, greedy of spiritual dainties in prayer, go in search of these banquets of sweet and tender feelings; but courageous souls who seek sincerely to belong wholly to God ask Him only for light to understand His will, and for strength to put it into execution. In order to attain to purity of love, it is necessary to submit our will in all things to the will of God: “Never consider yourselves,” said St. Francis de Sales, ” to have arrived at the purity which you ought to have, as long as your will is not cheerfully obedient, even in things the most repulsive, to the will of God.” “Because,” as St. Teresa remarks, “the giving up of our will to God draws Him to unite Himself with our lowliness.” But this can never be obtained except by means of mental prayer and of continual petitions addressed to the Divine Majesty, nor without a cordial desire to belong entirely to Jesus Christ without reserve.

O most amiable Heart of my Divine Saviour, Heart enamoured of mankind, since Thou lovest me with such a depth of tenderness; O Heart, in fine, worthy to rule over and possess all our hearts, would that I could make all men comprehend the love Thou bearest them, and the tender caresses Thou dost lavish on those who love Thee without reserve! O Jesus, my Love, be pleased to accept the offering and the sacrifice which I this day make to Thee of entire will! Only make known what Thou wouldst have me to do; for I am determined to do all by the help of Thy grace.
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre

Messages In This Thread
RE: St. Alphonsus Liguori: Daily Meditations for Fourth Week after Pentecost - by Stone - 06-29-2023, 10:14 AM