St. Alphonsus Liguori: Daily Meditations for Third Week after Pentecost
Thursday – Third Week after Pentecost

Morning Meditation

THE LOVING HEART OF JESUS

Oh, if we could but understand the love that burns in the Heart of Jesus for us! Jesus has loved us more than His honour, more than His repose, more than His life. Yea, love has induced Him even to become the very Food of our souls so as to unite and make His Heart and ours but one.

I.

Oh, if we could but understand the love that burns in the Heart of Jesus for us! He has loved us so much, that if all men, all the Angels, and all the Saints were to unite all their energies, they could never arrive at the thousandth part of the love that Jesus bears us. He loves us infinitely more than we love ourselves.

He has loved us even to excess: They spoke of his decease (excess) which he was to accomplish in Jerusalem -(Luke ix. 31). And what greater excess of love could there be than for God to die for His creatures? He has loved us to the greatest degree: Having loved his own … he loved them unto the end-(Jo. xiii. I), since, after having loved us from eternity,-for there never was a moment from eternity when God did not think of us and did not love each one of us : I have loved thee with an everlasting love-(Jer. xxxi. 3)-for the love of us He made Himself Man, and chose a life of sufferings and the death of the Cross for our sake. Therefore, He has loved us more than His honour, more than His repose, and more than His life; for He has sacrificed everything to show us the love He bears us. And is not this an excess of love sufficient to stupefy with astonishment the Angels of Paradise for all eternity?

This love induced Him also to remain with us in the Holy Sacrament as on a throne of love; for He remains there under the appearance of a small piece of bread, shut up in the tabernacle, where He seems to remain in a perfect annihilation of His majesty, without movement and without the use of His senses; so that it seems that He performs no other office there than that of loving men. Love makes us desire the constant presence of the object of our love. It is this love and this desire that makes Jesus Christ reside with us in the Most Holy Sacrament.

O adorable Heart of my Jesus, Heart inflamed with love of men, Heart created on purpose to love them, how is it possible that Thou canst be despised, and Thy love so ill-requited by most men? Oh, miserable that I am, I also have been one of those ungrateful ones who have not loved Thee. Forgive me, my Jesus, this great sin of not having loved Thee, Who art so amiable, and Who hast loved me so much that Thou canst do nothing more to oblige me to love Thee. I feel that I deserve to be condemned not to be able to love Thee, for having renounced Thy love, as I have hitherto done. But no, my dearest Saviour, give me any chastisement, but do not inflict this one upon me. Grant me the grace to love Thee, and then give me any infliction Thou pleasest. But how can I fear such chastisement, whilst I feel that Thou continuest to give me the sweet, the pleasing precept of loving Thee, my Lord and my God?

II.

It seemed too short a time to this loving Saviour to spend only thirty-three years with men on earth; therefore, in order to show His desire of being constantly with us, He thought right to perform the greatest of all miracles, in the institution of the Holy Eucharist. But the work of Redemption was already completed, men had already become reconciled to God; for what purpose, then, did Jesus remain on earth in this Sacrament? Ah, He remains there because He could not bear to separate Himself from us, for, as He Himself said, He takes a delight in us.

Again, this love has induced Him even to become the Food of our souls, so to unite Himself to us, and to make His Heart and ours as one: He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood, abideth in me and I in him-(Jo. vi. 57). O wonder! O excess of divine love!

It was said by a servant of God: If anything could shake my faith in the Eucharist, it would not be the doubt as to how the bread could become flesh, or how Jesus could be in several places at once and confined in so small a space, because I would answer that God can do all things; but if I were asked how He could love men so much as to make Himself their Food, I have nothing else to answer but that this is a Mystery of Faith above my comprehension, and that the love of Jesus cannot be understood. O love of Jesus, do Thou make Thyself known to men and do Thou make Thyself loved!

Love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart-(Matt. xxii. 37). Yes, O my God, Thou wouldst be loved by me, and I will love Thee; indeed I will love none but Thee, Who hast loved me so much. O Love of my Jesus, Thou art my Love. O burning Heart of my Jesus, do Thou inflame my heart also. Do not permit me in future, even for a single moment, to live without Thy love; rather kill me, destroy me; do not let the world behold the spectacle of such horrid ingratitude as that I, who have been so beloved by Thee, and received so many favours and lights from Thee, should begin again to despise Thy love. No, my Jesus, do not permit this. I trust in the Blood Thou hast shed for me that I shall always love Thee, and that Thou wilt always love me, and that this love between Thee and me will not cease for all eternity.

O Mary, Mother of fair love, thou who desirest so much to see Jesus loved, bind me, unite me to thy Son; but bind me to Him, so that we may never again be separated.

Spiritual Reading

CORAM SANCTISSIMO

TVVENTY-SECOND VISIT

The Spouse in the Sacred Canticles went about seeking for her Beloved; and, not finding Him, she asked all whom she met: Have you seen him whom my soul loveth?-(Cant. iii. 3). Jesus was not then on earth; but now, if a soul that loves Him seeks Him, she can always find Him in the Most Blessed Sacrament. Blessed John of Avila was accustomed to say that amongst all sanctuaries he could neither find nor desire a more delightful one than a church in which the Most Blessed Sacrament was reserved.

O infinite love of my God, worthy of infinite love! And how couldst Thou, my Jesus, in order to dwell amongst men, and to unite Thyself to their hearts, humble Thyself so as to conceal Thyself under the species of bread? O incarnate Word, Thou art supreme in Thy humility because Thou art supreme in Thy love! How can I do otherwise than love Thee with my entire self, knowing as I do how much Thou hast done to captivate my love? I love Thee much; and therefore I give Thy good pleasure the preference above every interest and every satisfaction of my own. My pleasure is to give Thee pleasure, my Jesus, my God, my Love, my All. Make me hunger to be continually in Thy presence in the Blessed Sacrament, to receive Thee into my heart, and to keep Thee company. I should be indeed ungrateful did I not accept so sweet and gracious an invitation. Ah, Lord, annihilate in me all affection for created things! Thou willest that Thou alone, my Creator, shouldst be the object of all my sighs, of all my love. I love Thee, most amiable goodness of my God. I ask nothing of Thee but Thyself. I desire not my own pleasure; Thy pleasure is all my desire, and sufficient for me. Accept, my Jesus, this good desire of a sinner who wishes to love Thee. Help me by Thy grace. Grant that I, a miserable slave of hell, may from this day forward be the happy slave of Thy love!

Ejac. I love Thee, Jesus, my Treasure, above every other treasure!

AN ACT OF SPIRITUAL COMMUNION

My Jesus, I believe that Thou art truly present in the Most Holy Sacrament. I love Thee above all things, and I desire to possess Thee within my soul. Since I am unable now to receive Thee sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace Thee as already there, and unite myself wholly to Thee; never permit me to be separated from Thee.

VISIT TO MARY
My most sweet Lady and Mother, I am a rebel to thy great Son; but I come repentant to thy mercy, that thou mayst obtain me pardon. Say not that thou canst not do so, for St. Bernard calls thee “the minister of propitiation.” To thee also it belongs to succour those who are in danger, St. Ephrem calling thee “the helper of those in peril.” My Lady, who is in greater danger than I am? I have lost God; it is certain that I have been condemned to hell. I know not whether God has yet pardoned me. I may again lose Him. But thou canst obtain me all; and from thee I hope for every good, for forgiveness, perseverance, and Heaven. I hope to be one of those who, in the kingdom of the blessed, will most praise thy mercies, O Mary, for having saved me by thy intercession.

Ejac. I will sing the mercies of Mary for all eternity. I will sing them for ever and ever! Amen, amen.

Concluding Prayer

Most holy Immaculate Virgin and my Mother Mary, to thee, who art the Mother of my Lord, and Queen of the world, the advocate, the hope, the refuge of sinners, I have recourse today I, who am the most miserable of all. I render thee my most humble homage, O great Queen, and I thank thee for all the graces thou hast conferred on me until now, particularly for having delivered me from hell, which I have so often deserved. I love thee, O most amiable Lady; and for the love which I bear thee, I promise to serve thee always, and to do all in my power to make others love thee also. I place in thee all my hopes; I confide my salvation to thy care. Accept me for thy servant, and receive me under thy mantle, O Mother of Mercy. And since thou art so powerful with God, deliver me from all temptations, or rather obtain for me the strength to triumph over them until death. Of thee I ask a perfect love of Jesus Christ. From thee I hope to die a good death.

O my Mother, for the love which thou bearest to God, I beseech thee to help me at all times, but especially at the last moment of my life. Leave me not, I beseech thee, until thou seest me safe in Heaven, blessing thee, and singing thy mercies for all eternity. Amen. So I hope. So may it be.

Evening Meditation

THE PRACTICE OF THE LOVE OF JESUS CHRIST

XXXV.–HE THAT LOVES JESUS CHRIST IS NEVER ANGRY WITH HIS NEIGHBOUR

I.

From whence are wars? … Are they not from your concupiscences?–(James iv. 1, 2). When we are made angry by some contradiction, we fancy we shall find relief and quiet by giving vent to our anger in actions, or at least in words: but we are mistaken, it is not so; for after having done so, we shall find that we are much more disturbed than before. Whoever desires to persevere in uninterrupted peace must beware of ever yielding to ill-humour. And whenever anyone feels himself attacked by this ill-humour, he must do his utmost to banish it immediately; and he must not go to rest with it in his heart, but must divert himself from it by the perusal of some book, by singing some devout canticle, or by conversing on some pleasant subject with a friend. The Holy Spirit says: Anger resteth in the bosom of a fool–(Eccles. vii. 10). Anger remains a long time in the hearts of fools, who have little love for Jesus Christ; but if by stealth it should ever enter into the hearts of the true lovers of Jesus Christ, it is quickly dislodged, and does not remain. A soul that cordially loves the Redeemer never feels in a bad humour, because, as she desires only what God desires, she has all she wishes for, and consequently is ever tranquil and well-balanced. The Divine will tranquilises her in every misfortune that occurs; and thus she is able at all times to observe meekness towards all. But we cannot acquire this meekness without a great love for Jesus Christ. In fact, we know by experience that we are not meeker and gentler towards others, except when we feel an increased tenderness towards Jesus Christ.

II.

But since we cannot constantly experience this tenderness, we must prepare ourselves, in our mental prayer, to bear the crosses that may befall us. This was the practice of the Saints; and so they were ever ready to receive with patience and meekness, injuries, blows, and chastisements. When we meet with an insult from our neighbour, unless we are well practised in self-restraint, we shall find it extremely difficult to know what course to take in order not to yield to the force of anger. At the time, our passion will make it appear but reasonable for us to make an angry retort to the person who affronts us; but St. John Chrysostom says that it is not the right way to quench the fire which is raging in the mind of our neighbour by the fire of all indignant reply; to do so will only enkindle it the more: “One fire is not extinguished by another.” Someone may say: But why should I use courtesy and gentleness towards an impertinent fellow that insults me without cause? But St. Francis de Sales replies: “We must practise meekness, not only with reason, but against reason.”

We must therefore endeavour, on such occasions, to make a kind answer; and in this way we shall check the fire: A mild answer breaketh wrath-(Prov. xv. 1). But when the mind is troubled, the best expedient will be to keep silence. St. Bernard writes: “The eye troubled by anger sees not straight.” When the eye is dimmed with passion, it no longer distinguishes between what is, and what is not, unjust; anger is like a veil drawn over the eyes, so that we can no longer discern between right and wrong; wherefore we must, like St. Francis de Sales, make a compact with our tongue: “I have made a compact with my tongue,” he wrote, “never to speak while my heart is disturbed.”
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre

Messages In This Thread
RE: St. Alphonsus Liguori: Daily Meditations for Third Week after Pentecost - by Stone - 06-22-2023, 04:28 PM