The Apocalypse of St. John by Rev. E. Sylvester Berry [1921]
THE EPILOGUE

Behold I come quickly. Blessed is he that keepeth the words of the prophecy of this book. APOCALYPSE xxii 7

CHAPTER XXII

6. And he said to me: These words are most faithful and true. And the Lord God of the spirits of the prophets sent his angel to shew his servants the things which must be done shortly.

7. And, Behold I come quickly. Blessed is he that keepeth the words of the prophecy of this book.

8. And I, John, who have heard and seen these things. And after I had heard and seen, I fell down to adore before the feet of the angel, who shewed
me these things.

9. And he said to me: See thou do it not: for I am thy fellow servant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them that keep the words of the
prophecy of this book. Adore God.

1O. And he saith to me: Seal not the words of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.

11. He that hurteth, let him hurt still: and he that is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is just, let him be justified still: and he that is holy let him be sanctified still.

12. Behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to render to every man according to his works.

13. I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.

14. Blessed are they that wash their robes in the blood of the Lamb: that they may have a right to the tree of life, and may enter in by the gates into the city.

15. Without are dogs, and sorcerers, and unchaste, and murderers, and servers of idols, and every one that loveth and maketh a lie.

16. I, Jesus have sent my angel, to testily to you these things in the churches. I am the root and stock of David, the bright and morning star.

6, 7. The angel who acted as guide for St. John in viewing the new Jerusalem, now assures him that these visions are true revelations of what the future holds in store for the Church. They are true because God Himself has revealed them to St. John through the ministry of the angel. In a former vision God commanded St. John to write for these words are most faithful and true."1 Their accomplishment is near at hand, for has not our Lord said: "Behold, I come quickly. Blessed is he that keepeth the words of the prophecy of this book" The same warning is found in the opening words of the Apocalypse: Blessed is he that readeth, and heareth the words of this prophecy; and keepeth those things which are written in it; for
the time is at hand"; their fulfillment was beginning already in the days of St. John."2

8, 9. Probably many of these visions were not committed to writing until St. John had returned to Ephesus where he could dictate them to his disciples as was the custom of the other Apostles. Hence he is careful to attest their authenticity: "I, John, am he who saw and heard these things Perhaps he wrote these words with his own hand as a sort of signature after the manner of St. Paul in his first Epistle to the Corinthians.3

When the visions and revelations were ended, St. John prostrated himself before the angel as a parting salutation, but the angel refused this mark of respect, because as prophets of God they were equals. The words of the angel imply that he is the same one whom St. John mistook for our Lord on a former occasion. 4 There St. John intended divine worship as indicated by the Greek construction. Here, there can be no mistake; St. John is well aware that his guide is one of the seven angels who poured out the vials of wrath.5 This difference is reflected in the use of a Greek construction often found in the Old Testament to express the honor paid to angels and persons of superior rank.

10. St. John is commanded not to seal the book of his prophecy; it is to be published to the Church at once because the time for its fulfillment has already begun.6

11-13. Christ Himself now utters words of warning and encouragement. The wicked may continue in their evils, heaping sin upon sin, but they must know that God will deal with them according to their works. On the other hand, let the just be still more justified; let him add good works unto good works for he shall be rewarded accordingly. It is I, the Alpha and Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end, who shall punish and reward all men in justice according to their works.

14, 15. Blessed, therefore, are they who have washed their robes in the blood of the Lamb through Baptism, Penance, and martyrdom, for they shall enter the heavenly Jerusalem and be nourished by the tree of life. But woe to the wicked (dogs) who must remain without where there shall be "weeping and gnashing of teeth."; They shall have no part in the tree of life for Christ has said: "I give not that which is holy to dogs."8

16. Our Lord Himself now confirms the truth of the revelations made to His Apostles: It is I, Jesus, Who sent My angel to testily these things to the churches; I Who am the root and stock of David, the bright and morning star.9

(1) Ch. xxi, 5.
(2) Ch. i, 3.
(3) I Corinthians xvi, 2 1 .
(4) Ch. xix, 10.
(5) Ch. xxi, 9.
(6) Ch. x, 4.
(7) St. Luke xiii, 28.
(8) St. Matthew vii, 6.
(9) See above, page 46.

17. And the spirit and the bride say: Come. And he that heareth, let him say; Come. And he that thirsteth, let him come: and he that will, let him take the water of life freely.

18. For I testily to every one that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book: If any man shall add to these things, God shall add unto him the plagues written in this book.

19. And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from these things that are written in this book.

20. He that giveth testimony of these things, saith, Surely I come quickly: Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

21.The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

17. St. John, speaking in his own name, says that the Church, the bride of Christ, guided by the Holy Ghost, longs for the glorious coming of her divine Spouse. May all who hear her voice join in the self-same prayer. May those who thirst for the water of life receive it abundantly!

18, 19. The Apostle was aware of the risks his book would run at the hands of heretics who infested the churches of Asia Minor. He had been a witness to their shrewdness in interpolating and falsifying the most sacred texts. Hence he threatens with anathema anyone who may presume to mutilate his prophecies in any manner. This warning should be extended to the entire Scriptures of which the Apocalypse is but the final chapter.1

20. Our Lord, who testifies to the truth of these prophecies, says: " Behold, I come quickly." From hearts filled with faith and love we cry out: "So be it. Come Lord Jesus!"

Meditation upon the prophecies of the Apocalypse should strengthen our faith in God, and increase our zeal for His holy Church. They predict the great persecution of Antichrist whose near approach is fore shadowed by many signs; yet we know that the Church will at length triumph over the powers of hell and reign peacefully over all nations. Through prayers and good works we can beseech the mercy of God to shorten those days of trial for the sake of the elect.2 May He hasten the coming of His Kingdom! "Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven."

FINIS

(1) Fouard, "St. John" (Eng. Trans.), p. 134.
(2) St. Matthew xxiv, 22.
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Apocalypse of St. John by Rev. E. Sylvester Berry [1921] - by Stone - 01-04-2023, 09:26 AM