The Apocalypse of St. John by Rev. E. Sylvester Berry [1921]
Part III

THE HEAVENLY JERUSALEM

CHAPTER XXII

1. And he shewed me a river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

2. In the midst of the street thereof, and on both sides of the river, was the tree of life, bearing twelve fruits, yielding its fruits every month, and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

3 And there shall be no curse any more; but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it, and his servants shall serve him.

4 And they shall see his face: and his name shall be on their foreheads.

5. And night shall be no more: and they shall not need the light of the lamp, nor the light of the sun, be cause the Lord God shall enlighten them, and they shall reign for ever and ever.

1. The river flowing from the throne of God symbolizes the joy and happiness that floods the souls of the elect in their possession of God and union with Him. This is the living water promised by our Lord: "He that shall drink of the water that I will give him, shall not thirst for ever: but the water that I will give him, shall become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life."1

2. The tree of life stands in the midst of the city on either banks of the river at the disposal of all and to all it gives eternal life. Its twelve fruits ripening every month symbolize the happiness of heaven which shall be without interruption for all eternity. In this life the fruit of the tree is the Holy Eucharist, and its leaves the teachings of Christ and His Church. In heaven the fruit is the glory of the Beatific Vision; and the leaves, the accidental glory of the saints.2

3-5. Sin shall be no more, and the saints shall serve and glorify God whom they behold face to face. "We see now through a glass in a dark manner; but then face to face. Now I know in part; but then I shall know even as I am known."3 The name of God written upon the foreheads of the saints is a mark of their adoption as children of God by Baptism and Confirmation. "Be hold what manner of charity the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called, and should be the sons of God."4 

Night shall be no more; the saints need not the lamp of faith nor the guiding light of the Church. God Him self will be their light and they will reign with Him for ever. "Blessed are they that dwell in Thy house, Lord: they shall praise Thee for ever and ever.

(1) St. John iv, 13, 14; Psalm xxxv, 9, 10.
(2) Cath. Encyc., vol. viii, p. 174.
(3) I Corinth, xiii, 12.
(4) I John iii, 1.
(5) Psalm Ixxxiii, 5
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Apocalypse of St. John by Rev. E. Sylvester Berry [1921] - by Stone - 01-04-2023, 09:14 AM