The Apocalypse of St. John by Rev. E. Sylvester Berry [1921]
THE CONSTITUTION OF THE CHURCH

CHAPTER V

1. And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne, a book written within and without, sealed with seven seals.

2. And I saw a strong angel, proclaiming with a loud voice: Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?

3. And no man was able, neither in heaven, nor on earth nor under the earth, to open the book, nor to look on it.

4. And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open nor to see it.

5. And one of the ancients said to me; Weep not; for behold the lion of the tribe of Juda, the root of David hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.

6. And I saw, and behold in the midst of the throne and of the four living creatures, and in the midst of the ancients, a Lamb standing as it were slain, having seven horns and seven eyes: which are the seven spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

The preceding chapter is devoted to the Church and the worship it offers to Almighty God. It depicts the faithful paying homage of adoration, praise and thanks giving through the ministry of Apostles, bishops and priests. The present chapter is taken up with our divine Saviour, the head and spouse of His Church. He alone is able to open the book of its future. He is also worthy of divine honors in the Blessed Sacrament of the altar no less than in heaven.

1. In the right hand of God, St. John sees the book of the Church's future history; but the book is sealed to all creatures. No one in heaven, nor on earth, nor under the earth knows what the future holds in store unless God deigns to reveal it.

In ancient times a book consisted of a long strip of parchment or papyrus wound around a stick to which it was fastened. It thus resembled the roll of a player-piano. The writing was on the side of the parchment that rolled in. The roll which St. John saw in the vision was written on both sides and sealed down with seven seals. The writing on both sides symbolizes fulness of knowledge concerning the future. The number "seven" also indicates completeness or universality as noted above.1 Consequently the Apocalypse embraces the entire history of the Church from the time of Christ until the consummation of the world.

3-6. Christ, the lion of the tribe of Juda, is alone found worthy to break the seven seals and open the book. In this vision St. John sees our Lord in His sacred hu inanity It is the same Christ whom the Baptist pointed out as the Lamb of God. His standing attitude becomes the triumphant Saviour. He is upon the throne of God because of His divinity. He is true God of true God, equal in all things to the Father. The appearance of being slain is a reference to the holy sacrifice of the Mass in which Christ is mystically sacrificed although He stands triumphant at the right hand of the Father in heaven.

The seven horns and seven eyes are the seven spirits of God, the angels whom Christ sends forth into the world as His ministers. Angels also represent the bishops and priests whom our Lord sends to teach and govern His faithful.2 The seven spirits may also signify the graces and gifts of the Holy Ghost showered upon the Church.3 Horns are symbols of power. Thus Zachary calls our Lord "a horn of salvation."4 The eyes signify the omniscience of Christ; all times and all things are present to His view.

(1) See above, page 20.
(2) See above, page 21.
(3) See above, page 48.
(4) St. Luke i, 69.

7. And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat on the throne.

8. And when he had opened the book, the four living creatures, and the four and twenty ancients fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odors, which are the prayers of the saints.

9. And they sang a new canticle, saying: Thou art worthy, C Lord, to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: because thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God, in thy blood, out of every tribe, and tongue, and people, and nation.

10. And hast made us to our God a kingdom and priests, and we shall reign on earth.

11. And I beheld and I heard the voice of many angels around about the throne, and the living creatures and the ancients: and the number of them was thousands of thousands,

12. saying with a loud voice: The Lamb that was slain is worthy to receive power, and divinity, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and benediction.

13. And every creature which is in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the seas, and all that are in them: I heard all saying: To him that sitteth on the throne, and to the Lamb, benediction, and honor, and glory, and power for ever and ever.

14. And the four living creatures said: Amen. And the four and twenty ancients fell down on their faces: and adored him that liveth for ever and ever.

7. The Lamb receives the book of the future from the hand of God. Knowledge of the future does not belong to the human nature of Christ; it is imparted to His human intellect by the hypostatic union of the human and divine natures in the one divine person.

8. When the book is opened all ministers of the Church bow down in adoration before God and the Lamb. As priests they offer to Christ the praises of His Church. They also present to Him golden vials and sweet perfumes, symbols of the prayers and good works of all the faithful.

9. The whole Church of Christ now sends up a new canticle of praise. It is the canticle of the New Law in honor of our divine Saviour. His faithful followers never weary of proclaiming His divinity and the glory He has given to God by the redemption of the world.

10. It is for the glory of God that Christ has chosen some to be ministers of His Church, and to rule it upon earth. He has also made them priests to lay before the throne of God the prayers and praises of all His people. The faithful have some fellowship in these great privileges. They can unite with the priests of the Church in offering sacrifices of praise and thanksgiving to God. Hence St. Peter says: "You are a chosen generation, a kingly priesthood, a holy nation."1

11-14. "Thousands of angels join the glad acclaim. Their song arouses the whole universe. From the heights of the firmament, from the sea and its lowest depths, from the breast of every creature . . . rise the voices which embrace their supreme God and His Christ in one common act of adoration: Blessing, honor, glory, and power be unto Him that is seated on the throne, and to the Lamb for ever."2

(1) I Peter ii, 9.
(2) Fouard, "St. John," page 100 (Eng. Translation).
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Apocalypse of St. John by Rev. E. Sylvester Berry [1921] - by Stone - 12-08-2022, 08:32 AM