The Apocalypse of St. John by Rev. E. Sylvester Berry [1921]
TO THE CHURCH OF SARDIS

CHAPTER III

1 . And to the angel of the church of Sardis write: These things saith he that hath the seven spirits of God, and the seven stars: I know thy works, that thou hast the name of being alive: and thou art dead.

2. Be watchful and strengthen the things that remain, which are ready to die. For I find not thy works full before my God.

3. Have in mind therefore in what manner thou hast received and heard: and observe, and do penance. If then thou shalt not watch: I will come to thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know at what hour I will come to thee.

4. But thou hast a few names in Sardis, which have not denied their garments: and they shall walk with me in white, because they are worthy.

5. He that shall overcome shall thus be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, and I will confess his name before my Father, and before the angels.

6. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the spirit saith to the churches.

1. Sardis, the capital of Lydia, was a city of considerable importance. It was about thirty miles south of Thyatira on the Pactolus, which flowed through its market-place. It was noted for its commercial activities and for the manufacture of carpets and woolen goods. It was also the residence of the famous Croesus. The straggling village of Sart now marks the site of this ancient city.

"He who has the seven spirits" is the sovereign Lord of the seven spirits who stand before the throne of God. Some interpreters take these words to mean that Christ possesses the fulness of the gifts of the Holy Ghost. And the spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him: the spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the spirit of counsel and fortitude the spirit of knowledge and of godliness. And he shall be filled with the spirit of the fear of the Lord."1

He who has the seven stars is Christ who exercises a special care for the ministers of His Church. He is now manifesting this solicitude for the bishop of Sardis. Christ, the searcher of hearts and reins, knows the true state of this bishop s soul. He appears to be a faithful servant of God and a true shepherd of souls, but in reality he is spiritually dead. These words imply a state of moral sin and a sad neglect of pastoral duty.

2-5. Through the ministry of St. John, Christ now exhorts the bishop of Sardis to arouse himself to a realization of his sad plight. He must do penance for the past and stir up his zeal to save the few members of his flock who remain faithful.

The pastor of souls is responsible to God for their salvation. He must teach and guide them by word and example, "for the lips of the priest shall keep knowledge, and they shall seek the law at his mouth, because he is the angel of the Lord of hosts."2 He is like a watch man set upon a watch-tower; "if he see the sword coming, and sound not the trumpet and the people look not to themselves, and the sword come, and cut oft a soul from among them; he indeed is taken away in his iniquity, but I will require his blood at the hand of the watchman. These words of the prophet are also a warning that no one can make an unworthy pastor an excuse for his sins. He still has the teachings of the Church and the grace of the Sacraments which are always efficacious whether administered by a worthy or an unworthy pastor. Even when the watchman does not give warning the soul that perishes;3 is taken away in his iniquity."

The pastor who is negligent in the care of his people is exposed to the danger of being snatched away by sudden death without the grace of the Sacraments. Unfortunately, the church of Sardis is in very sad condition, yet it numbers a few faithful souls who shall be saved. They shall be clothed with the white garments of eternal happiness.

(1) Isaias xi, 2. 3.
(2) Malachias ii, 7.
(3) Isaias xxxiii, 6.
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Apocalypse of St. John by Rev. E. Sylvester Berry [1921] - by Stone - 12-04-2022, 07:16 AM