The Catholic Family Handbook by Rev. George Kelly
THE CATHOLIC FAMILY HANDBOOK

APPENDIX

NAMING YOUR BABY

At baptism, your child should be given the name of a saint who will serve as his patron in heaven, and whose life will be a model for him to follow. According to canon law, "Pastors should take especial care that a Christian name be given to all whom they baptize. If they cannot do this, they shall add to the name given by the parents the name of some saint and enter both in the Baptismal Record."

This rule need not restrict parents who seek a distinctive name for their child. Literally thousands of names are available for selection, and in addition variations of a saint's original name may be used, to conform to different languages or national customs.

For example, the name Mary may also be used in the following forms: Mae, Malkin, Maria, Marian, Marianna, Marianne, Marie, Mariette, Marilyn, Marion, Maris, Miriam, Marot, Marr, Maureen, Maryath, May, Molly, Murchie and Murrock.

In honor of St. Elizabeth, you might name your child not only Elizabeth but also Bess, Beth, Betty, Elise, Elissa, Eliza, Elsa, Elsie, Oseult, Isolde or Lisbet.

St. Charles might also be the patron of a boy named Carl, Carlo, Carlos, Carolo, Carolus or Charley, or of a girl named Carlotta, Charlotta or Charlotte.

CHURCH RULES ON FAST AND ABSTINENCE

Fast: The rules of fasting oblige all between the ages of 21 and 59, unless they are in poor health or obtain a dispensation from their confessor for other reasons.

Fast days are all the days of Lent except Sundays; the Ember days at the beginning of each of the four seasons of the year; and the Vigil of Pentecost; the Vigil of Christmas; and the Vigil of the Immaculate Conception.

On fast days, only one full meal is allowed. Two other meatless meals, sufficient to maintain strength, may be taken according to each one's needs, but together they should not equal another full meal. Eating between meals is not permitted, but liquids may be taken in any quantity.

Abstinence: The rules of abstinence oblige all Catholics from their seventh birthday, unless they are excused by their confessor for serious reasons.

Days of abstinence are all the Fridays of the year. Ash Wednesday, Holy Saturday, the Vigil of Christmas and the Vigil of the Immaculate Conception are days of both fast and abstinence.

On days of abstinence, meat may not be eaten.

THE EUCHARISTIC FAST

Persons intending to receive Holy Communion may not eat solid foods or drink alcoholic beverages within three hours of the time when they will receive. They may drink other beverages (coffee, tea, milk, etc.) up to one hour before they receive. They may drink water at any time, even immediately preceding their reception of the Sacrament.

A BETROTHAL RITE

1. The priest (vested in surplice and white stole) with his assistants (vested in surplice) awaits the couple at the communion table. At hand are the holy water stoup and the altar missal. As the man and woman come forward with the two witnesses they have chosen, the following antiphon and psalm are spoken or sung on the eighth psalm tone:

ANTIPHON: To the Lord I will tender my promise: in the presence of all His people.

Psalm 126

Unless the house be of the Lord's building, in vain do the builders labor. Unless the Lord be the guard of the city, 'tis in vain the guard keeps sentry. It is futile for you to rise before daybreak, to be astir in the midst of darkness, Ye that eat the bread of hard labor; for He deals bountifully to His beloved while they are sleeping. Behold, offspring result from God's giving, a fruitful womb won the regard of His blessing. Like arrows in the hand of the warrior, are children begotten of a youthful father. Happy the man who has filled therewith his quiver; they shall uphold him in contending at the gate with his rival.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and forever, through endless ages. Amen.

ANTIPHON: To the Lord I will tender my promise: in the presence of all his people.

2. The priest now addresses them:

Allocution

Beloved of Christ: It is in the dispensation of Divine Providence that you are called to the holy vocation of marriage. For this reason you present yourselves today before Christ and His Church, before His sacred minister and the devout people of God, to ratify in solemn manner the engagement bespoken between you. At the same time you entreat the blessing of the Church upon your proposal, as well as the earnest supplications of the faithful here present, since you fully realize that what has been inspired and guided by the will of your heavenly Father requires equally His grace to be brought to a happy fulfillment.

We are confident that you have given serious and prayerful deliberation to your pledge of wedlock; moreover, that you have sought counsel from the superiors whom God has placed over you. In the time that intervenes, you will prepare for the sacrament of matrimony by a period of virtuous courtship, so that when the happy and blessed day arrives for you to give yourselves irrevocably to each other, you will have laid a sound spiritual foundation for long years of godly prosperity on earth and eventual blessedness together in the life to come. May the union you purpose one day to consummate as man and wife be found worthy to be in all truth a sacramental image and reality of the union of Christ and His beloved Bride, the Church. This grant, Thou Who livest and reignest, God, forever and evermore.

R.: Amen.

3. The priest now bids the couple join their right hands, while they repeat after him the following:

THE MAN: In the name of Our Lord, I, N.N., promise that I will one day take thee, N.N., as my wife, according to the ordinances of God and holy Church. I will love thee even as myself. I will keep faith and loyalty to thee, and so in thy necessities aid and comfort thee; which things and all that a man ought to do unto his espoused I promise to do unto thee and to keep by the faith that is in me.

THE WOMAN: In the name of Our Lord, I, N.N., in the form and manner wherein thou hast promised thyself unto me, do declare and affirm that I will one day bind and oblige myself unto thee, and will take thee, N.N., as my husband. And all that thou hast pledged unto me I promise to do and keep unto thee, by the faith that is in me.

4. Then the priest takes the two ends of his stole and in the form of a cross places them over the clasped hands of the couple. Holding the stole in place with his left hand, he says:

PRIEST: I bear witness of your solemn proposal and I declare you betrothed. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

As he pronounces the last words, he sprinkles them with holy water in the form of a cross.

5. Thereupon he blesses the engagement ring:

V.: Adjutorium nostrum in nomine Domini R.: Qui fecit caelum et terram.

V.: Domine, exaudi orationem meam. R.: Et clamor meus ad te veniat.

V.: Dominus vobiscum. R.: Et cum spiritu tuo.

V.: Oremus

Omnipotens Deus, Creator et conservator humani generis, ac largitor aeternae salutis, permitte digneris Spiritum Sanctum Paraclitum super hunc annulum. Per Dominum Nostrum Jesum Christum, Filium Tuum, Qui Tecum vivit et regnat in unitate Spiritus Sancti, Deus, per omnia saecula saeculorum.

Et aspergatur aqua benedicta.

English Translation:

V.: Our help is in the name of the Lord, R.: Who made heaven and earth.

V.: O Lord, hear my prayer. R.: And let my cry come unto Thee.

V.: The Lord be with you. R.: And with thy spirit.

V.: Let us pray.

O God Almighty, Creator and preserver of the human race, and the giver of everlasting salvation, deign to allow the Holy Spirit, the Consoler to come with His blessing upon this ring. Through Our Lord, Jesus Christ, Thy Son, Who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, for endless ages.

The ring is sprinkled with holy water.

6. The man takes the ring and places it first on the index finger of the left hand of the woman, saying, "In the name of the Father," then on the middle finger, adding, "and of the Son"; finally placing and leaving it on the ring finger, he concludes, "and of the Holy Spirit."

7. The priest opens the missal at the beginning of the Canon, and presents the page imprinted with the crucifixion to be kissed first by the man and then by the woman.

8. If Mass does not follow (or even if Mass is to follow, if he deems it opportune), the priest may read the following passages from Sacred Scripture:

Tobias 7:8

Tobias said: I will not eat nor drink here this day, unless thou first grant me my petition, and promise to give me Sara thy daughter.... The angel said to Raguel: Be not afraid to give her to this man, for to him who feareth God is thy daughter due to be his wife; therefore another could not have her.... And Raguel taking the right hand of his daughter, he gave it unto the right hand of Tobias, saying: The God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob be with you, and may He join you together, and fulfill His blessing in you. And taking paper they made a writing of the marriage. And afterwards they made merry, blessing God.... Then Tobias exhorted the virgin, and said to her: Sara, arise, and let us pray to God today, and tomorrow, and the next day; because for these three nights we are joined to God; and when the third night is over, we will be in our own wedlock. For we are the children of saints, and we must not be joined together like heathens that know not God. So they both arose, and prayed earnestly both together that health might be given them.

R.: Thanks be to God.

John 15:4-12

At that time, Jesus said to His disciples: Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abide in the vine, so neither can you, unless you abide in Me. I am the vine; you the branches. He that abideth in Me, and I in him, the same beareth much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. If any one abide in Me, he shall be cast forth as a branch, and shall wither, and they shall gather him up, and cast him into the fire, and he burneth. If you abide in Me, and my words abide in you, you shall ask whatever you will, and it shall be done unto you. In this is my Father glorified; that you bring forth very much fruit, and become my disciples. As the Father hath loved Me, I also have loved you. Abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you shall abide in My love; as I also have kept my Father's commandments, and do abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may be in you, and your joy may be filled. This is My commandment, that you love one another, as I have loved you.

R.: Praise be to thee, O Christ!

9. Lastly, the priest extends his hands over the heads of the couple and says:

May God bless your bodies and your souls. May He shed His blessing upon you as He blessed Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. May the hand of the Lord be upon you, may He send His holy Angel to guard you all the days of your life. Amen.

Go in peace!

10. Before leaving the church, the betrothed couple as well as the witnesses will affix their signatures to the document previously prepared for this purpose.

--REV. PHILIP T. WELLER'S TRANSLATION OF THE ROMAN RITUAL, Milwaukee: Bruce and Company,

CONSECRATION OF THE FAMILY TO THE HOLY FAMILY

O Jesus, our most loving Redeemer, Who having come to enlighten the world, with Your teaching and example, willed to pass the greater part of Your life in humility and subjection to Mary and Joseph in the poor home of Nazareth, thus sanctifying the Family that was to be an example for all Christian families, graciously receive our family as it dedicates and consecrates itself to You this day. Defend us, guard us and establish among us Your holy fear, true peace and concord in Christian love: in order that by conforming ourselves to the divine pattern of Your Family we may be able, all of us without exception, to attain to eternal happiness.

Mary, dear Mother of Jesus and Mother of us, by your kind intercession make this our humble offering acceptable in the sight of Jesus, and obtain for us His graces and blessings.

Saint Joseph, most holy Guardian of Jesus and Mary, assist us by your prayers in all our spiritual and temporal necessities; that we may be able to praise our divine Savior Jesus, together with Mary and you, for all eternity.

Our Father, Hail Mary and Gloria three times.

Lord Jesus Christ, Who, being made subject to Mary and Joseph, hallowed domestic life by Your ineffable virtues; grant that we, with the assistance of both, may be taught by the example of Your holy Family and may attain to its everlasting fellowship Who lives and reigns world without end. Amen. (Roman Missal)

FAMILY PRAYER CARD

Every family should pray together. The time for prayer should be convenient to parents and children, perhaps shortly after the evening meal. It is suggested that prayer be led by the father of the family.

In the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

Our Father. Hail Mary. Gloria. Apostles' Creed.

THE CONFITEOR

I confess to Almighty God, to Blessed Mary, ever Virgin, to Blessed Michael the Archangel, to Blessed John the Baptist, to the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul, and to all the Saints, that I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word and deed. (Strike breast three times, saying...) Through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault. Therefore I beseech Blessed Mary, ever Virgin, Blessed Michael the Archangel, Blessed John the Baptist, the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul, and all the Saints, to pray to the Lord our God for me.

May the Almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us our sins, and bring us to life everlasting.

May the Almighty and Merciful Lord grant us pardon, absolution, and remission of all our sins. Amen.

Make an Act of Contrition.

PRAYER FOR THE HOME

Visit, we beseech Thee, O Lord, this home, and drive far from it all snares of the enemy; let Thy holy Angels dwell herein to preserve us in peace and let Thy blessing always be upon us. Through Christ, our Lord. Amen.

PARENTS' PRAYER FOR CHILDREN

Lord God! Thou hast called us to the holy state of matrimony and hast been pleased to make us parents. We recommend to Thee our dear children. We entrust them to Thy fatherly care. May they be a source of consolation, not only to us, but chiefly to Thee, Who are their Creator. Be watchful, O Lord; help and defend them.

Grant us the grace to guide them in the way of Thy commandments. This we will do by our own perfect observance of Thy holy law and that of our holy Mother, the Church. Make us conscious of our grave obligation to You and bless our efforts to serve You. We humbly ask this blessing from the bottom of our hearts, for ourselves and for the children whom Thou hast been pleased to give us.

We dedicate them to Thee, O Lord. Do Thou keep them as the apple of Thy eye and protect them under the shadow of Thy wings. Make us worthy to come, at last, to heaven, together with them, giving thanks unto Thee, Our Father, for the loving care Thou hast had of our entire family, and praising Thee together through endless ages. Amen.

CHILDREN'S PRAYER FOR THEIR PARENTS

Dear Lord! Fill our parents with Thy choicest blessings, enrich their souls with Thy holy grace; grant that they may faithfully and constantly guard that likeness to Thy union with Thy Church, which Thou didst imprint upon them on their wedding day. Fill them with Thy spirit of holy fear, which is the beginning of wisdom; inspire them to impart it to their children. May they ever walk in the way of Thy commandments, and may we their children be their joy on earth and their crown of glory in heaven. Finally, Lord God, grant that both our father and mother may attain to extreme old age and enjoy continuous health in mind and body. May they give Thee abundant thanks because Thou hast bestowed upon them the great gift of parenthood. Amen.

PRAYER FOR VOCATIONS TO THE PRIESTHOOD AND RELIGIOUS LIFE

Lord Jesus Christ, Savior of the world! We humbly beg of Thee to manifest in Thy Church the Spirit Whom Thou didst so abundantly bestow upon Thy Apostles. Call, we pray Thee, very many to Thy priesthood and to the religious life. And may zeal for Thy glory and the salvation of souls inflame those whom Thou hast chosen; may they be saints in Thy likeness, and may Thy Spirit strengthen them. O Jesus, give us priests and religious according to Thine own Heart!

O Mary, Mother of Jesus! Obtain for fervent souls the grace to hear and the courage to follow Thy divine Son in the path of religious perfection.

Queen of Apostles, pray for us. Queen of Virgins, pray for us.

--CARDINAL SPELLMAN'S PRAYER BOOK

PRAYER FOR A SICK PERSON

Almighty and Eternal God, the everlasting health of those who believe; hear us for Thy sick servant (name inserted here) for whom we implore the aid of Thy tender mercy, that, being restored to bodily health, he (or she) may give thanks to Thee in Thy Church. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

BLESSING ON SLEEP

Jesus Christ, my God! I adore Thee and thank Thee for all the graces Thou hast given me this day. I offer to Thee my sleep and all the moments of this night, and I beseech Thee to keep me without sin. Wherefore, I put myself within Thy Sacred Side and under the mantle of our Lady, my Mother. Let Thy holy angels stand about me and keep me in peace; and let Thy blessing be upon me.

PRAYER FOR THE DEAD

May the souls of the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen.

ADDITIONAL READINGS ON FAMILY LIFE

{Books that are still in print will have a ">" before them. Books or pamphlets already electronically on Catholicism-On-Line will have an asterisk in front of them (*). If you have access to any of the books and pamphlets below, please contact the System Operator so that they can make arrangements to borrow the materials so that they can be put on the system.}

Below are some of the many excellent books and pamphlets, dealing with various phases of family life:

BOOKS

Banahan, John S. "Instructions for Mixed Marriages." Milwaukee: Bruce, 1957.

Bossard, James H. S., and Boll, Eleanor Stoker. "The Large Family System." Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1956.

Carney, Frances W. "The Purposes of Christian Marriage." Washington, D. C.: The Catholic University of America Press, 1950.

Clemens, Alphonse H. "Marriage and the Family." New York: Prentice- Hall, 1957.

Coomes, A. Francis, S.J. "Mothers' Manual." St. Louis: The Queen's Work, 1946.

Doyle, Charles H. "Sins of Parents." Tarrytown, N. Y.: The Nugent Press, 1951.

*Filas, Francis L., S.J. "Family for Families." Chicago: Paluch, 1951.

Geisles, Eugene. "You and Your Children." Chicago: Fides, 1955.

Giese, Vincent "Patterns for Teen-agers." Chicago: Fides, 1955.

Haley, Joseph C., C.S.C. "Accent on Purity: Guide for Sex Education." Chicago: Fides, 1948.

Healy, Edwin F., S.J. "Marriage Guidance." Chicago: Loyola University Press, 1948.

Imbiorski, Walter (ed.). "The New Cana Manual." Chicago: Delaney, 1957.

Kane, John J. "Marriage and the Family." New York: The Dryden Press, 1952.

Kelly, George A. "The Catholic Marriage Manual." New York: Random House, 1958.

Leclerq, Jacques. "Marriage and the Family." New York: Frederick Pustet and Co., 1949.

Lord, Daniel, S.J. "The Guidance of Parents." St. Louis: The Queen's Work, 1944.

>Mary, Sister, I.H.M., Mary Roberta, Sister, O.P., And Mary Rosary, Sister, O.P. "The Catholic Mother's Helper in Training Her Children." Paterson, N. J.: St. Anthony Guild Press, 1948.

Mary De Lourdes, Sister, S.M. "Baby Grows in Age and Grace." Norwalk, Conn.: Gibson, 1951.

Mersch, Emile, S.J. "Theology of the Mystical Body." St. Louis: Herder, 1951.

Mihanovich, Clement S., Schnepp, Gerald J., S.M., And Thomas, John L., S.J. "A Guide to Catholic Marriage." Milwaukee: Bruce, 1955.

*Newland, Mary Reed. "The Year and Our Children." New York: Kennedy, 1956.

*-----"We and Our Children." New York: Kennedy, 1956.

O'Brien, John A. "Happy Marriage: Guidance Before and After." Garden City N. Y.: Hanover House, 1956.

Odenwald, Robert, M.D. "Your Child's World." New York: Random House, 1958.

Patrice, Sister Jean, C.S.J. "Your Family Circle." Milwaukee: Bruce, 1952.

*Perkins, Mary. "Beginning at Home." Collegeville, Minn.: Liturgical Press, 1955.

*Plus, Raoul, S.J. "Christ in the Home." New York and Cincinnati: Pustet, 1951.

Poage, Godfrey, C.P., and Treacy, John P. "Parents Role in Vocations." Milwaukee: Bruce, 1959.

Sattler, Henry, C.SS.R. "Parents, Children and the Facts of Life." New York: Doubleday, 1952.

Schneiders, Alexander A. "The Psychology of Adolescence." Milwaukee: Bruce, 1951.

Strecker, Edward A., MD. "Their Mothers' Sons." New York: Lippincott, 1951.

Strecker, Edward A., M.D., and Lathbury Vincent, M.D. "Their Mothers' Daughters." New York: Lippincott, 1956.

Theodore, Sister Mary, O.S.F. "The Challenge of the Retarded Child." Milwaukee: Bruce, 1959.

Thomas, John L., S.J. "The American Catholic Family." Englewood Cliffs, N. J.: Prentice-Hall, 1956.

-----"A Catholic Viewpoint on Marriage and the Family." Garden City, N. Y.: Hanover House, 1958.

Ward, Maisie (ed.). "Be Not Solicitous." New York: Sheed and Ward, 1954.

Zimmerman, Carle C., and Cervantes, Lucius F., S.J. "Marriage and the Family." Chicago: Regnery, 1956.

PAMPHLETS

YOU CAN HAVE A HAPPIER FAMILY

Noll, Bishop John F. "Seven Instructions Before Marriage." Huntington, Ind.: Our Sunday Visitor Press.

O'Brien, John A. "The Christian Home: A Nation's Bulwark." Huntington, Ind.: Our Sunday Visitor Press.

Pius XI, Pope. "Encyclical Letter on Christian Marriage." New York: America Press.

Schmiedeler, Edgar, O.S.B. "Your Home: A Church in Miniature." Washington, D.C.: National Catholic Welfare Conference.

"Towards a Better Family Life." Washington, D. C.: National Catholic Welfare Conference.

WHAT MAKES A GOOD PARENT

"Concerning Your Children." Washington, D. C.: National Catholic Welfare Conference.

"Father, the Head of the Home." Washington D. C.: National Catholic Welfare Conference.

Hynes, Emerson. "Seven Keys to a Christian Home." Washington, D. C.: National Catholic Welfare Conference.

Lord, Daniel A., S. J. "Parenthood." St. Louis, Mo.: The Queen s Work.

Lovasik, Lawrence G., S.V.D. "Making Marriage Click." St. Paul, Minn.: Radio Replies Press.

Miller, Donald F., C.SS.R. "How to Be a Good Husband." Ligouri, Mo.: Ligourian Pamphlet Office.

-----"How to Be a Good Wife." Ligouri, Mo.: Ligourian Pamphlet office.

YOU ARE YOUR CHILD'S BEST TEACHER

Arnold, Oren. "Love Enough to Go Around." Notre Dame, Ind.: Ave Maria Press.

Baruch, Dorothy. "How to Discipline Your Children." New York: Public Affairs Pamphlets.

"The Parent-Educator Series in Five Volumes": "Parental Responsibility," "Teaching Prayer in the Home," "Teaching Obedience in the Home," "Teaching Honesty in the Home," and "Teaching Citizenship in the Home." Washington, D. C.: The Confraternity of Christian Doctrine.

YOUR CHILD'S MORAL TRAINING

Dougherty, Daniel M. "Catholic Child Guidance." New York: The Paulist Press.

Lord, Daniel A., S.J. "Questions People Ask about Their Children." St Louis, Mo.: The Queen's Work.

Miller, Donald F., C.SS.R. "Questions Parents Ask about Raising Children." Ligouri, Mo.: Ligourian Pamphlet Office.

Schmiedeler, Edgar, O.S.B. "Parent and Child." New York: The Paulist Press.

WHY SEND YOUR CHILD TO CATHOLIC SCHOOLS?

Lord, Daniel A., S.J. "Go to a Catholic College." St. Louis, Mo.. The Queen's Work.

Miller, Donald F., C.SS.R. "Rules for Schooling." Ligouri, Mo.: Ligourian Pamphlet Office.

"Should Children Learn about God in School?" St. Louis, Mo.: Knights of Columbus Religious Information Bureau.

HOW TO TEACH YOUR CHILD ABOUT SEX

Bruckner, P. J., S.J. "How to Give Sex Instructions." St. Louis, Mo.: The Queen's Work.

Conway, Msgr. J.D. "What They Ask about Modesty, Chastity and Morals." Notre Dame, Ind.: Ave Maria Press.

Kelly, John R., S.J. "The Right Answers to Teen-age Boys Sex Questions." St. Louis, Mo.: The Queen's Work.

Kirsch, Felix M., O.F.M., Cap. "The Sex Problem: A Challenge and an Opportunity." New York: The Paulist Press.

-----"Training in Chastity." Huntington Ind.: Our Sunday Visitor Press.

Lord, Daniel A., S.J. "Love, Sex and the Teen-agers." St. Louis, Mo.: The Queen's Work.

Sattler, H.V., C.SS.R. "Educating Parents to Sex Instructions." Ligouri, Mo.: Ligourian Pamphlet Office.

Schmiedeler, Edgar, O.S.B. "Training in Chastity." Washington, D. C. Family Life Bureau, National Catholic Welfare Conference.

WHAT OUTSIDE INFLUENCES CAN DO TO YOUR CHILD

Broderick, Msgr. Edwin B. "TV and Your Child." New York: The Paulist Press.

THE CHILD WHO IS EXCEPTIONAL

Jacob, Walter. "New Hope for the Retarded Child." New York: Public Affairs Pamphlets.

Wishik, Samuel, M.D. "How to Help Your Handicapped Child." New York: Public Affairs Pamphlets.

Yahraes, Herbert. "Epilepsy--The Ghost Is Out of the Closet." New York: Public Affairs Pamphlets.

SHOULD MOTHERS WORK?

Dunn, Margaret M. "Careers Do Not Make the Woman." Washington, D. C.: National Catholic Welfare Conference.

Senser, Bob. "Should Wives Work?" Notre Dame, Ind.: Ave Marie Press.

WHAT WILL YOUR CHILD DO IN LIFE?

D'orsonnens, J. I., S.J. "Choosing Your Career." New York: The Paulist Press.

Ganss, George E., S.J., "On Thinking Out Vocations to Four States in Life." St. Louis, Mo.: The Queen's Work.

Gartland, Frank, C.S.C. "Best Source of Vocations." Huntington, Ind.: Our Sunday Visitor Press.

Krieger, B. J. "How to Recognize a Vocation." Ligouri, Mo.: Ligourian Pamphlet Office.

Miller, Donald F., C.SS.R. "Can Single Women Be Happy?" Ligouri, Mo.: Ligourian Pamphlet Offiice.

HOW TO HANDLE YOUR TEEN-AGER

"The Adolescent in Your Family" Washington, D. C.: Children's Bureau Social Security Administration, Department of Health, Education and Welfare.

Burnite, Alvena. "Tips for Teens." Milwaukee: Bruce Publishing Co.

Claude, Robert, S.J. "The Training of the Adolescent." New York: The Paulist Press.

Donnelly, Antoinette. "Tips for Teeners." New York: Catholic Information Society.

Kelly, Gerald L., S.J. "Modern Youth and Chastity." St. Louis, Mo.: The Queen's Work.

Landis, Paul H. "Coming of Age: Problems of Teen-agers." New York: Public Affairs Pamphlets.

PREPARING YOUR CHILD FOR MARRIAGE

Breitenbeck, G., C.SS.R. "How to Arrange for Your Wedding." Ligouri, Mo.: Ligourian Pamphlet Office.

Connell, Francis J., C.SS.R. "Marriage--Human or Divine?" New York: The Paulist Press.

Conway, Msgr. J.D. "What They Ask about Keeping Company." Notre Dame, Ind.: Ave Maria Press.

-----"What They Ask about Love and Dating." Notre Dame, Ind.: Ave Maria Press.

-----"What They Ask about Engagement." Notre Dame, Ind.: Ave Maria Press.

Gartland, Frank E., C.S.C. "Boy Meets Girl the Christian Way." Huntington, Ind.: Our Sunday Visitor Press.

Healy, Mary Lanigan. "When to Train for Marriage." New York: Catholic Information Society.

Miller, Donald F., C.SS.R. "Questions Young People Ask about Marriage." Ligouri, Mo.: Ligourian Pamphlet Office.

Lord, Daniel A., S.J. "The Girl Worth Choosing." St. Louis, Mo.: The Queen's Work.

-----"The Man of Your Choice." St. Louis, Mo.: The Queen's Work.

O'Brien, John A. "Choosing a Partner for Marriage." Notre Dame, Ind.: Ave Maria Press.

-----"Falling in Love." Huntington, Ind.: Our Sunday Visitor Press.

-----"How to Get Married." Huntington, Ind.: Our Sunday Visitor Press.

Poage, Godfrey, C.P. "What You Ought to Know Before Marriage." St. Louis, Mo.: The Queen's Work.

HOW TO AVOID A MIXED MARRIAGE IN YOUR FAMILY

Carroll, Thomas. "Mixing Your Marriage." Collegeville, Minn.: Liturgical Press.

Conway, Msgr. J.D. "What They Ask about Mixed Marriages." Notre Dame, Ind.: Ave Maria Press.

-----"What They Ask about Marriage Outside the Church." Notre Dame, Ind.: Ave Maria Press.

Ginder, Richard. "A Mixed Marriage?" New York: Catholic Information Society.

Lilly, Warren, S.J. "The Mixed Marriage Prenuptial Contract." New York: The Catholic Information Society.

Lord, Daniel A., S.J. "Marry Your Own." St. Louis, Mo.: The Queen's Work.

Miller, Donald F., C.SS.R. "Can Mixed Marriages Be Happy?" Ligouri, Mo.: Ligourian Pamphlet Office.

O'Brien, John A. "Catholic Marriage--How Achieve It?" Huntington, Ind.: Our Sunday Visitor Press.

RELIGIOUS PRACTICES IN THE FAMILY

Busch, William. "Family Prayers." Collegeville, Minn.: The Liturgical Press.

Byles, Katherine Delmonico. "Religion in the Home for Elementary School Children." New York: The Paulist Press.

-----"Religion in the Home for the Pre-school Child." New York: The Paulist Press.

*McLoughlin, Helen. "Family Advent Customs." Collegeville, Minn.: The Liturgical Press.

*-----"Family Customs: Easter to Pentecost." Collegeville, Minn.: The Liturgical Press.

*-----"Christmas to Candlemas in a Catholic Home." Collegeville Minn.: The Liturgical Press.

*Mueller, Theresa. "Family Life in Christ." Collegeville, Minn.: The Liturgical Press.

Schmiedeler, Edgar, O.S.B. "Prayers for the Family." Huntington, Ind.: Our Sunday Visitor Press.

Stokes, Bernard, O.F.M. "How to Make Your House a Home." Washington, D. C.: National Catholic Welfare Conference.

*Weiser, Francis X., S.J. "Religious Customs in the Family." Collegeville Minn.: The Liturgical Press. (Reprinted as "The Year of Our Lord in the Christian Home")
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Catholic Family Handbook by Rev. George Kelly - by Stone - 12-14-2021, 12:10 PM