Every Day with Saint Francis de Sales - January
Every Day with Saint Francis de Sales

Teachings and Examples from the Life of the Saint by Salesiana Publishers

January 22nd  (page 22)

Love has its source in the heart, and we cannot love our neighbor too much or go to excess, provided love continues to reside in the heart.  However, our external demonstrations of love may error get out of control, passing the limits and rules of reason.  The glorious Saint Bernard says that the limit of loving God is loving, God without limits; His love must spread its roots as widely as possible.  And what is said about love of God must also apply to love of our neighbor, so long as the love of God is greater and holds first place in our hearts.

(Spiritual Treatises IV; O. VI, pp. 56-57)

On January 22nd, 1605, Francis de Sales, recovering from a series of illnesses, was able to dictate the following card to Baroness Chantal, still living in the world:  “Your messenger found me still convalescing from a persistent fever which prevented me from writing this with my own hand, but I greet you with a thousand blessings from the bottom of my heart!  As soon as I have recovered sufficiently and get back my strength, I will find the time to write to you regularly once more on every occasion that presents itself.”

(A.S. I, p. 554)

You should never be so curious as to want to know everything, but, on the other hand, not so neglected as not to know all that concerns your eternal salvation.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Every Day with Francis de Sales for January - by Hildegard of Bingen - 01-22-2021, 03:17 PM