Bishop Williamson further extends his ecumenism—this time to the Anglicans
NB: It has, from the beginning, been the stance of The Catacombs to share articles that highlight some aspect of the true Catholic Faith, even if the website from which they originate may be problematic in some way, e.g. sedevacantist, Indult-esque, etc. As long as the subject matter in that particular instance is an accurate mirror of the teachings of the Faith, it is shared here. The source of the article that follows below is a similar situation. The Catacombs does not endorse the entire Catholic Candle website but what follows below does reflect Catholic teaching, hence it is shared here.

-Admin, The Catacombs

Bishop Williamson further extends his ecumenism—this time to the Anglicans
Taken from here - adapted.

God is offended by the errors of the new Conciliar Religion, of the Feeneyites, and of the Sedevacantists. [...] With Bishop Williamson having promoted attending the New mass and the services of Feeneyites and Sedevacantists,he now also extends his ecumenism by promoting the (supposed) truth and worship of another false religion, viz., the Anglicans.

Bishop Williamson tells people that Anglicans possess some truth and some of “the true worship of God”. Here are his words (July 2016):

Quote:If you look for the truth, and you look for the true worship of God, you may find some of it in an Anglican Church. But you start talking to the minister, probably his principles are—most likely are—not completely true [emphasis - The Catacombs].

As discussed below, Bishop Williamson’s scandalous words are ecumenical and false for four reasons:

1. He is wrong that the Anglicans have any “true worship of God”; their worship can never please God because they are heretics and are outside the one True Church;
2. He is wrong and ecumenical for implicitly encouraging Catholics to participate in the false worship of these heretics;
3. He is wrong and ecumenical for saying that Catholics will find the truth in the (heretical) Anglican “church”; and
4. He is wrong and scandalous in saying that there is any possibility of Anglican ministers having principles which are “completely true”.

1. The Anglicans cannot have any “true worship of God”

Bishop Williamson causes the grave scandal of telling his followers that the “true worship of God” can be found in the Anglican “church”. This is false!

Anglicans cannot have “true worship of God” (as Bishop Williamson claims they can), because the worship of all heretics offends God because they are heretics.

The reason for this is obvious: heretics (and schismatics) are outside the Catholic Church and so they maintain the posture of being enemies of God, since all those not in the Catholic Church, are enemies of Christ.

(It is unreasonable and un-Catholic to call such individuals “Christian” or speak about them as truly following Christ. [...] Of course, we don’t judge the interior culpability of particular individuals who are outside the visible Church, and we don’t declare we know they are going to Hell, even though it is true that outside the Catholic Church there is no salvation.)

Vatican II is wrong that there can be any “partial communion”. We are either with Our Lord, or against Him. St. Matt., 12:30. Only Catholics can be with our Lord because only they are part of His Mystical Body.

Heretics do not have Sanctifying Grace. Summa, IIa IIae, Q.5, a.3, Sed contra. God is not moved by the prayers of those who are not in the state of Sanctifying Grace. Summa, IIa IIae, Q.178, a.2, ad 1. This is because:

Quote:whosoever has not charity is wicked, because this gift alone of the Holy Ghost distinguishes the children of the kingdom from the children of perdition, as Augustine says (De Trin. xv, 18).

Summa, IIa IIae, Q.178, a.2, Sed contra.

[...]Also, as the Council of Florence and Pope Eugene IV taught about heretics (among whom are the Anglicans):

Quote:[S]o important is the unity of this ecclesiastical body [viz., the Catholic Church] that only those remaining within this unity ... can receive an eternal recompense for their fasts, their almsgivings, their other works of Christian piety and the duties of a Christian soldier. No one, let his almsgiving be as great as it may ... can be saved, unless he remain within the bosom and the unity of the Catholic Church.

Cantate Domino.

St. Augustine, Doctor of the Church, further explains why the heretics (including the Anglicans) can never have true worship of God, i.e., worship which pleases Him:

Quote:f they [viz., heretics] distribute of themselves their own substance to the poor, as many do, … in the different heretical bodies [i.e., sects] … they cannot attain to eternal salvation, even with all those good things, which profit them not.
[i]On Baptism, against the Donatists, Bk. 1, ch.9 (bracketed words added).[/i]

Conclusion of this section
The Anglicans and other heretics have no “true worship of God” because they are outside the Catholic Church, outside of which, it is impossible to please God or worship Him as He wants to be worshipped.
note

2. Bishop Williamson implicitly encourages the Faithful to worship with the Anglicans if it “helps” us.

First, notice the grave harm Bishop Williamson causes by teaching something favorable about Anglican worship ([i]viz., you can find the “true worship of God” there). And he does not warn people to stay away from that heretical group and completely avoid their “worship”.

However, a superficial reading of Bishop Williamson’s words might cause a person to think that Bishop Williamson did not encourage anyone to worship with the Anglicans. He “merely” said they have some “true worship of God”. But look at the context of Bishop Williamson’s false and ecumenical statements about the Anglican heretics:
[/i]
  • He publicly and repeatedly instructs people to “do whatever you need to nourish your faith.” (June 28, 2015)

• He approves of attending the worship of three other false religions, viz., the new conciliar religion, the Feeneyites and the Sedevacantists. (See here)

• He did not remind people to avoid the Anglicans.

• He told his followers the Anglicans have some “true worship of God”.

The reasonable understanding of Bishop Williamson’s words is that a person should attend the (supposed) “true worship of God” of the Anglican heretics, just as with the three other false religions ([i]viz
., Conciliar, Feeneyite, Sedevacantist), if that is what “you need to nourish your faith”.

Bishop Williamson’s ecumenical words about the Anglican heretics are an echo of Vatican II’s promotion of interreligious “worship” with Anglicans and other heretics, whom Vatican II calls “separated brethren”. Here is what Vatican II teaches:

Quote:t is allowable, indeed desirable, that Catholics join in prayer with their separated brethren. [i]Unitatis Redintegratio, §8.

This is the opposite of the consistent teaching of the Church before Vatican II. The Catholic Church has constantly forbidden Her children to hold any communication, in religious matters, with those who are separated from her communion including the Anglican heretics. (The Sincere Christian, by Bishop George Hay, Blackwood & Sons, Edinburgh, 1871, vol. 2, p.373.)

From the earliest times, the Church has decreed that: If any bishop, or priest, or deacon, shall join in prayers with heretics, let him be suspended from communion (Id., quoting Canon 44 of the Apostolic Canons). Thus, we must not pray with the Anglicans!

Further, If any clergyman or laic [i.e., layman] shall go into the synagogue of the Jews or the meetings of heretics, to join in prayer with them, let him be deposed and deprived of communion" (Id., quoting Canon 63 of the Apostolic Canons).

So also,

Quote:in one of Her [viz., the Catholic Church’s] most respected councils, held in the year 398, at which the great St Augustine was present, She speaks thus: None must either pray or sing psalms with heretics; and whosoever shall communicate with those who are cut off from the communion of the Church, whether clergyman or laic [i.e., layman], let him be excommunicated, Council of Carthage, iv, §§72 & 73.

Id. Thus, the Council of Carthage is telling us that any prayer or worship, however good in itself, is ruined when said with heretics and that this worship offends God. Notice that the Council of Carthage’s condemnation (of praying with heretics) does not make any exception for such prayers which (supposedly) “nourish your faith”!

Further, the Council of Laodicea decreed the same thing: No one shall pray in common with heretics or schismatics. Council of Laodicea, Canon 33.

Even the Sacraments of the Catholic Church (as pleasing to God as they are in themselves) are offensive to God among the heretics (such as the Anglicans). As St. Augustine teaches:

Quote:For all the sacraments of Christ, if not combined with the Charity which belongs to the unity of Christ [i.e., the unity of the Catholic Church], are possessed not unto salvation, but unto judgment.[/i][/i]
[i]St. Augustine, [i]ad Petilian, the Donatist, Bk. III, ch.40, ¶46 (bracketed words added)[/i][/i]
[i].

These Councils and Canons all condemn Bishop Williamson’s erroneous promotion of the (offensive) “worship” of the Anglican heretics. Further, those Catholic authorities also all condemn Bishop Williamson’s evil promotion of praying with the conciliar religion (in the new mass), and with the Feeneyites and Sedevacantists.

Conclusion of this section
The councils and canons of the Catholic Church condemn Bishop Williamson’s promotion of the worship of the Anglicans and other groups which are objectively heretical and schismatic. It would be complete stupidity to attempt to please God or “worship” Him by joining with those who are postured as His enemies.

3. Bishop Williamson is wrong and ecumenical in saying that Catholics will find the truth among the heretics.

As quoted above, Bishop Williamson teaches that a person looking for the truth “may find some of it in an Anglican church”. This is scandalous and un-Catholic!

Because the Anglicans are heretics, their faith is merely human and is not even supernatural. Summa, IIa IIae, Q.5, a.3, [i]Respondeo.

Further, not only is the Anglican “religion” merely human (and inspired by the devil), but this “religion” is inherently a mixture of many poisons, i.e., heresies. Bishop Williamson’s teaching that people might find the truth in the Anglican “church” is like telling people that they might find nutrition in a pie which contains a mixture of many poisons.

4. Bishop Williamson is wrong and scandalous in saying that there is any possibility of Anglican ministers having principles which are “completely true”.

As quoted above, Bishop Williamson teaches that “probably” an Anglican minister’s principles are “not completely true”. Bishop Williamson’s assertion is false and evil. That statement means that it is possible that the Anglican minister’s principles are completely true. This is like saying that a person who dies in mortal sin “probably” won’t go to heaven, whereas the truth is that no Anglican minister has the complete truth and no one who dies in mortal sin goes to heaven.

Among principles held by every Anglican minister are that: 1) the Catholic Church is not the one and only true Church of Christ; and 2) that the Anglican “religion” is not false and is not a man-made tool of the devil. In other words, all Anglican ministers deny the truth that there can be no salvation in the (false) Anglican “religion”. For, if any Anglican minister held the Catholic Truth on this matter, he would not be Anglican.

In other words, in this and many other matters, all Anglican ministers hold heresy. It is impossible for an Anglican minister to ever have principles that are “completely true”, as Bishop Williamson teaches to be possible.

Let us pray for the Anglicans, who are poor, lost sheep who are outside Christ’s one true Sheepfold. They need to be told the truth, viz., that the only truth and the only true worship of God are in the Catholic Church.

Let us also pray for Bishop Williamson, that he returns from his grave ecumenical errors against the Faith![/i][/i]
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre
Thank you for continuing to post these articles as a reminder of how far Bishop Williamson has fallen away from the principles of Archbishop Lefebvre, and how the other 3 bishops have followed this same path, being complicit in these scandals by their silence. It is a dangerous temptation to view these errors with less gravity than they merit in order that we might benefit from the episcopal power of the bishops and the added numbers of faithful. In supernatural charity, we must all pray and sacrifice for their return to Truth without compromise. It goes without saying that we must also increase our prayers and sacrifices for Fr. Hewko and our faithful priests who are constantly under attack. O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!
(07-29-2022, 12:25 PM)BVMcrusader Wrote: Thank you for continuing to post these articles as a reminder of how far Bishop Williamson has fallen away from the principles of Archbishop Lefebvre, and how the other 3 bishops have followed this same path, being complicit in these scandals by their silence. It is a dangerous temptation to view these errors with less gravity than they merit in order that we might benefit from the episcopal power of the bishops and the added numbers of faithful. In supernatural charity, we must all pray and sacrifice for their return to Truth without compromise. It goes without saying that we must also increase our prayers and sacrifices for Fr. Hewko and our faithful priests who are constantly under attack. O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!

We all know time has a way of dulling our memories - an aspect well-utilized by the enemies of the Faith. In our days in particular, there is so much 'news' and 'information' incoming at us incessantly via twenty-four hour news cycles and social media, we easily forget even yesterday's headlines, much less the poignant issues of a few years ago. 

We are apt to forget the true battle, the defense of the Faith - whole and inviolate - is at stake. We forget to be wary of those, particularly in tradition, who should be protecting the sheep rather than exposing them to danger and confusion, as was done in this instance by Bp. Williamson. 

Let us pray for him. Imagine all the good he could have done if he acted more like the Archbishop, uniting the priests and presenting a solid front to the modernism that seeped into the SSPX? If had not told priests and laity that they could/should remain in the SSPX? Or in the Conciliar Church? 

Quel dommage!
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre
Famous last words: "But nothing has changed!" is what B. Williamson defenders say.   Same as the conciliar-SSPX says: "Nothing has changed."
In my opinion the false resistance and the SSPX are all related.  They work in secret, they now teach different from what they used to and what their founder spoke clearly about.  (we know what St. Paul warned those that teach different).
Funny isn't it, it was  Bishop Williamson and the SSPX promoting the false Novus Ordo miracles.
Bp. Williamson is the leader of the false resistance.  That's why these threads are listed under the false resistance section.

Past Recusant articles give the details. This is one of them:
http://www.stmaryskssspxmc.com/wp-conten...ant-34.pdf

Link to all past Recusant issues:
https://www.stmaryskssspxmc.com/?page_id=46
For anyone thinking Bishop Williamson has changed over the past few years, or that he has not continued to spread his errors, one need not look very far to find evidence to the contrary:

https://stmarcelinitiative.com/worldwide-warning/   (Promoting Garabandal)

https://stmarcelinitiative.com/another-testimonial/  (Promoting SSPX Mass attendance without warning of the dangers)

https://stmarcelinitiative.com/four-concerns/  (Praising the Poem of the Man God)

There is plenty of evidence provided in "The Recusant" of Bishop Zendejas and Bishop Thomas Aquinas defending Bishop Williamson and crushing the "opposition" (True Resistance). I'm only providing a couple out of many issues with more than adequate documentation of these sad facts. One need only ask Fr. Cardozo, Fr. Rafael, and those priests who have resisted these errors publicly, for the good of the faithful, what happens to those who do not tow the line of Bishop Williamson.

http://www.ecclesiamilitans.com/The_Recu...ar2017.pdf

http://www.stmaryskssspxmc.com/wp-conten...ant-51.pdf

In an interview with "The Jolly Heretic", Bishop Williamson, when mentioning the current course of the SSPX, downplays the scandal and betrayal of Christ  of the SSPX by its seeming desire and push to work inside Rome. He says that it would be great if the SSPX could bring Rome back but that it is unlikely because it usually works the other way around. What would Archbishop Lefebvre have said about remaining silent about the daily blasphemies and heresies of these enemies of the Church and, instead, compromising and working towards an agreement with a doctrinal preamble that betrays the Catholic Faith of all time? 

Bishop Williamson also did at least one interview recently wherein he defends that the new rites are "probably valid." This is not what Archbishop Lefebvre taught, and there is ample evidence that, at best, these rites are doubtful. Catholics are forbidden to receive doubtful sacraments. Bishop Tissier de Mallerais came to this same conclusion of doubtful validity. It is convenient that the new SSPX and the fake resistance are now pushing a new and dangerous position on the validity of the new rites. If this is not the position of Bishop Zendejas, let him publicly state his position. I think we would all welcome to hear from him and know what exactly his position is on SSPX, the new rites, etc.  It's better to have no bishop and no ordinations than to work with those who compromise the Faith and will, little by little, swallow up any true resistance. The martyrs were killed for refusing to offer even one grain of incense to false gods. 

Before Bishop Williamson can be trusted as a shepherd of souls, he must publicly renounce his errors, for the good of souls, and the three Bishops who have been complicit in his errors by their silence and persecution of those who stand for the Truth, must do the same. We, as the faithful did in the time of St. Athanasius, must stand up against these errors. Without a public renouncing of his errors, to work with him would be the same as working with the SSPX before there is a public renunciation of the Doctrinal Preamble of 2012. Why?  One may seem a greater error than the other but, as Bishop Williamson used to point out, even the tiniest drop of poison in a glass of water is enough to kill.
An excerpt of Archbishop Lefebvre's 1974 Declaration:

It is impossible to modify profoundly the lex orandi without modifying the lex credendi. To the Novus Ordo Missae corresponds a new catechism, a new priesthood, new seminaries, a charismatic Pentecostal Church—all things opposed to orthodoxy and the perennial teaching of the Church.

This Reformation, born of Liberalism and Modernism, is poisoned through and through; it derives from heresy and ends in heresy, even if all its acts are not formally heretical. It is therefore impossible for any conscientious and faithful Catholic to espouse this Reformation or to submit to it in any way whatsoever.

The only attitude of faithfulness to the Church and Catholic doctrine, in view of our salvation, is a categorical refusal to accept this Reformation.

Compare these statements with the ones made and still promoted by Bp. Williamson:

· The new religion can build your Faith.

· Attending the New Mass can build your Faith.

· Do whatever you think you need to do to keep the Faith, which can include attending the Novus Ordo Mass.

· If you attend the Novus Ordo Mass you have to be careful, but you can find the grace of God there and sanctify your soul.

· Not everyone needs to avoid the Novus Ordo Mass.

· Attending the Novus Ordo may do more good than harm spiritually.

· Not every priest needs to leave the Conciliar church or stop saying the Novus Ordo Mass.

· The Novus Ordo Mass does not always undermine the Faith, though frequently it does.

· The problem with the Novus Ordo Mass is that it is ambiguous. It can be made to favour the new religion, but does not have to, it can also be done in line with the old religion.

· The problem with Vatican II is that it is ambiguous.

· By distancing yourself from the Conciliar church, you are putting yourself in danger and risk becoming a Pharisee who is disconnected from reality.

· We must accept the supposed ‘Eucharistic miracles’ of the Novus Ordo Mass as genuine.

· The Eucharistic miracles of the Novus Ordo Mass have lessons for Traditional Catholics, one of which is that the Novus Ordo Mass doesn’t always have to be avoided.

· The Novus Ordo Mass is not as good as the Traditional Mass, but it is still better than nothing.