San Francisco archbishop bars pro-abortion Nancy Pelosi from Holy Communion
San Francisco archbishop bars pro-abortion Nancy Pelosi from Holy Communion
'A Catholic legislator who supports procured abortion, after knowing the teaching of the Church,
commits a manifestly grave sin which is a cause of most serious scandal to others.'

[Image: pelosi-1-810x500.jpg]

Fri May 20, 2022
SAN FRANCISCO (LifeSiteNews [adapted]) – San Francisco Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone has instructed Speaker of the House Rep. Nancy Pelosi, an outspokenly pro-abortion Democrat, not to present herself for Holy Communion in his diocese.

[Y]ou are not to present yourself for Holy Communion and, should you do so, you are not to be admitted to Holy Communion, until such time as you [publicly] repudiate your advocacy for the legitimacy of abortion and confess and receive absolution of this grave sin in the sacrament of Penance,” Cordileone wrote to Pelosi in a “notification” delivered yesterday and published today (see PDF HERE). As of press time, the webpage on which the Archdiocese of San Francisco posted the letter displayed an error message.

The Catholic Church teaches that the Eucharist is the literal body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus Christ. The Church teaches that no Catholic who has committed a mortal sin is to present himself or herself for Holy Communion until he or she has confessed that sin in the Sacrament of Confession.

Canon 915 of the Church’s Code of Canon Law instructs that “Those who have been excommunicated or interdicted after the imposition or declaration of the penalty and others obstinately persevering in manifest grave sin are not to be admitted to holy communion.”

“A Catholic legislator who supports procured abortion, after knowing the teaching of the Church, commits a manifestly grave sin which is a cause of most serious scandal to others.  Therefore, universal Church law provides that such persons ‘are not to be admitted to Holy Communion’ (Code of Canon Law, can. 915),” wrote Cordileone.

Quoting a 2004 letter to U.S. bishops from then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, regarding Communion for pro-abortion politicians, Cordileone told the Speaker of the House, “I am grateful to you for the time you have given me in the past to speak about these matters.  Unfortunately, I have not received such an accommodation to my many requests to speak with you again since you vowed to codify the Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade decision in federal law following upon passage of Texas Senate Bill 8 last September.”

“That is why I communicated my concerns to you via letter on April 7, 2022, and informed you there that, should you not [publicly] repudiate your advocacy for abortion ‘rights’ or else refrain from referring to your Catholic faith in public and receiving Holy Communion, I would have no choice but to make a declaration, in keeping with canon 915, that you are not to be admitted to Holy Communion,” the archbishop continued.

“As you have not [publicly] repudiated your position on abortion, and continue to refer to your Catholic faith in justifying your position and to receive Holy Communion, that time has now come.”

Texas Senate Bill 8 bans abortions on babies with beating hearts and employs a unique private enforcement mechanism that allows private citizens to sue abortionists who violate the law. In the coming months, the U.S. Supreme Court is expected to overturn Roe v. Wade, which in 1973 imposed abortion-on-demand on all 50 states, and allow states to determine their own abortion laws. POLITICO published a draft of the Court’s majority opinion, an unprecedented leak.

‘Please know that I stand ready to continue our conversation at any time, and will continue to offer up prayer and fasting for you,” Cordileone told Pelosi. “I also ask all of the faithful of the Archdiocese of San Francisco to pray for all of our legislators, especially Catholic legislators who promote procured abortion, that with the help and under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, they may undergo a conversion of heart in this most grave matter and human life may be protected and fostered in every stage and condition of life.”
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre
Bishop Barber of Oakland and Archbishop Oakley express support of Archbishop Cordileone.
Not a peep yet from any other US cardinal or archbishop.
[Image: 7g8polbex94j54wfogucp26ruxc1pedtpie45ii....ormat=webp]

[Image: uiw0ubcm40opjza0ipegx5ql8t7fa8mdtqhozwe....ormat=webp]
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre
"Very Dangerous": Pelosi Responds For The First Time Since Being Banned From Communion

ZH | May 25, 2022

Authored by Zachary Stieber via The Epoch Times (emphasis ours),

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on May 24 reacted for the first time to being banned from communion in San Francisco, where she lives.

The decision “is very dangerous,” Pelosi said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”

San Francisco Archbishop Salvatore Joseph Cordileone recently announced that he was banning Pelosi because of her continued support for abortion despite “numerous attempts” to convince her of “the grave evil she is perpetrating.”

Cordileone said he held off on the move for years while speaking with Pelosi but was compelled to act after the lawmaker’s position on abortion became “more extreme.” He also noted she has said that her Catholic faith motivates her support for abortion, which directly opposes Pope Francis and the Catholic teachings.
Since the first century the church has affirmed the moral evil of every procured abortion. This teaching has not changed and remains unchangeable,” the Vatican said in a communication to questioners in 2009, citing the Catechism of the Catholic Church. “Direct abortion, that is to say, abortion willed either as an end or a means, is gravely contrary to the moral law.”

Pelosi will not receive communion in San Francisco until she “publicly repudiate[s] her support for abortion ‘rights’ and confess[es] and receive[s] absolution for her cooperation in this evil in the sacrament of penance,” Cordileone said.

Pelosi, speaking on Tuesday, attacked Cordileone directly by describing him as being “against LGBTQ rights” and questioning why he has not barred people who support the death penalty from taking communion.
I wonder about death penalty, which I am opposed to. So is the church, but they take no action against people who may not share their view,” she said.

Pelosi reportedly received communion at Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Georgetown over the weekend following Cordileone’s announcement.

The Archdiocese of Washington did not respond to a request for comment.

A spokesperson told the Washington Examiner that Archbishop Wilton Gregory will not ban Pelosi from communion.

“The actions of Archbishop Cordileone are his decision to make in the Archdiocese of San Francisco. Cardinal Gregory has not instructed the priests of The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington to refuse communion to anyone,” the spokesperson said.

Other bishops, including Bishop Robert Vasa of the Diocese of Santa Rosa, have said they support Cordileone’s decision.

“All politicians who promote abortion should not receive holy communion until they have repented, repaired scandal, and been reconciled to Christ and the church,” Bishop Thomas Paprocki of Springfield, Illinois, said in a statement.

Pelosi on Tuesday also was asked about the Women’s Health Protection Act, which she helped pass the House of Representatives before a bipartisan majority of senators blocked it.

Pelosi falsely said the bill did not expand access to abortion, alleging it would just “enshrine Roe v. Wade into the law.”

I think it’s very insulting to women to have their ability to make their own decision hampered by politics,” she said. “This should never have been politicized.”