Fr. Hewko introduces himself to the Resistance - November 2012

Many thanks to the good soul who transcribed this Sermon [originally posted in the Archived Catacombs]!

My name is Father David Hewko. I was, last seven years, in Syracuse at Blessed Virgin Mary Academy and parish. It’s size of about 700 or 400 souls. [It’s a] growing school and I’m here in Kentucky with the priests who are resisting the liberalism invading the Society of Saint Pius X which is a very sad event, this crisis of our dear Society. So that brings me here to help these priests to hopefully put ourselves in Our Lady’s hands, either the Society does a u-turn and continues the principles and the fight of Archbishop Lefebvre and previous great saint popes. Or to whatever God wills, begin again, just maintaining the principles of our holy founder. So pray for this, pray for all the priests, all the priests, pray for the Pope to consecrate Russia. That really is the solution. But if the Pope ignores Our Lady what can do but pray for him? In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, Amen.

Our Lord compares the Church to a mustard seed and that mustard seed is the Catholic Faith that is implanted in all of our souls when we are baptized. I’d like to refer your minds to a great event in history, very similar to our own time, and that is when Spain in the late the 600’s was invaded, totally invaded, by the Muslims, who came in from Northern Africa. They swept all the way up very quickly invading towns, cities, tearing down the church bells, smashing the crucifixes, and needless to say, the murder of many, many women, children, priests, and men. This invasion spread very fast and by the early 700’s Spain was basically Muslim. And only in the northern regions, in the mountains, the Asturias Mountains, there remained a small remnant, led by Pelayo, who was a friend and disciple of a great holy monk who lived in the mountains there, in a cave. And this cave today is known as Covadonga, it’s a magnificent cave; actually there’s a monastery built there. I got to go there with some priests and we said Mass on the altar that Saint Anthony Mary Claret said Mass on in that cave. Pelayo who was the great general to resist (he’s buried there) and, it’s in the mountains. Underneath the cave there’s a huge waterfall which I’m sure the soldiers had a good time jumping off and swimming in during their stay there. But this holy monk saw the Virgin Mary. The Virgin Mary told him that Her protection is over them and that with Her help they will win many battles. And therefore there’s honored there the Virgin of Covadonga, a magnificent statue of Our Lady dressed in beautiful vestments So Pelayo, he gathered together, it says a small band of soldiers, some think up to a thousand, some say as low as three hundred. But whatever the number was it wasn’t very much. And the Muslims were threatening to come in and invade. Pelayo was visited by Bishop Opas; Bishop Opas was a perfect “Vatican II bishop”. He came and he said to the general Pelayo, he shouted out to him at the mouth of the cave, he said “Pelayo,” he shouted out his name. “Pelayo!” Pelayo knew this bishop and he said “Yes Bishop Opas, what do you want?” And Bishop Opas he said “Look, the whole country is Muslim, the whole city has given in, save your life, save your soldiers, and just make a peace treaty with these Muslims and all will go well.”

Pelayo said in these words “And you will try to convince us with your shameless words to abandon our stand and enjoy many benefits alongside the Muslims? All Spain must be Catholic. We will never accept a pagan Spain or compromise with infidels. How could you be so bold as to think we could trust you when you have already betrayed the Catholic banner, the Catholic cause?”

Bishop Opas, the compromiser, he told Pelayo, he said “Don’t worry, the fight is useless. You might as well give up, lay down your weapons. How can you expect to win with a handful against 60,000 trained Muslim soldiers? You’re gonna lose, Pelayo.”

Pelayo then referred to this Gospel of today’s mass. He said “Haven’t you read in Scripture that the Church of the Lord is like the mustard seed, which small as it is grows more than any other through the mercy of God?”

Bishop Opas said to him “But you ought to imitate those who have submitted and escaped slavery and death. You can live. Save your life.”

Pelayo said these great words which still echo from that cave today “Our hope is in Jesus Christ from this mountain will come the salvation of Spain and the people of the Goths. The mercy of Christ will free us from that multitude. Go home, Don Opas, and take this message to the enemy of God.”

The bishop returned to his city and he said “Well I can’t convince these fanatical, crusty, old, doctrinal Pelayo and that monk and all his soldiers.”

This happened in May of the year 722 and in fact the Muslims did invade and the Blessed Virgin Mary helped them. She let loose from heaven a downpour and the Muslim soldiers weren’t used to fighting in mountains, in brush, and especially in torrential rain. So the descriptions of the battle describe Pelayo’s soldiers running through with their swords, running on foot, leaping over the hills and mountains, while the Muslims on their horses were sliding and being slaughtered and being swept away in the torrents from the rain. So Pelayo, it was after that battle, a great battle of a couple days, and through the Virgin Mary they had victory. And he was crowned the first king of Spain. That began in the year 722 up until 1492, seven hundred years of the great history of the Reconquista, for to make Spain Catholic again. Our country is still young and our fight very fresh.

So, we can compare this to our dear Archbishop Lefebvre who when he saw during the Vatican Council the highjacking of the Holy Catholic Church by the enemies of Jesus Christ witnessed before his eyes he saw their expressions, he saw their whispering, he saw the laughter of the liberal bishops when Cardinal Ottaviani was trying, he went over his time, they turned off the speaker and he was in tears, begging the council fathers “Don’t go this direction; it will be the destruction of the faith.” And Archbishop Lefebvre saw these rats, these hyenas, just wreak havoc in the Church. But how did they do it?

There wasn’t a fight. There wasn’t bloodshed in Saint Peter’s Basilica. It was done by the slick pen, by the slick putting in of ambiguous terminology. And we Society priests and bishops we’ve all been warned, we’ve all been trained by Saint Pius X and by our founder Archbishop Lefebvre never use the language of the enemy.

We know like Navy Seals soldiers there’s a certain pattern of the enemy and you never imitate it.

We have been trained and we have been warned—we must never use their terminology. And yet we see recently ambiguous terms being used. We see language that can be interpreted in two ways, the “light of tradition”, “the council is limited”, and “religious liberty is limited”, “the council is not so bad”. I’m not going to go through all the quotes but you can look them up yourself. It’s very, very alarming to us Catholics because language is very important to protect the Catholic doctrine. We have to understand dear faithful the fight is about the faith. It’s not about some legalistic exchange—it is the faith at stake. Archbishop Lefebvre understood this and that’s why he alone against all the bishops, over 2,300 bishops, and Bishop de Castro Mayer with him, later, who stood up and said “We cannot cooperate in the destruction of the Holy Roman Catholic Church.” And thank the Good Lord for Archbishop Lefebvre who inspired great priests like Father Hannafin, who was your pastor here many years ago, and Father Snyder who knew him personally, and so many priests throughout the world who kept the Faith, and faithful who kept the Faith, thanks to Archbishop Lefebvre.

He died in ’91 and our dear Society has been piloted by Bishop Fellay. Bishop Fellay used to speak very clearly. He used to tell us “We can never make a false agreement with Rome. It will be our destruction.”

He warned Campos in the year 2003 “Don’t make a false agreement with Rome. It will be your disaster. It will be a destruction for you.”

Bishop Rifan fell, he made the compromise and now they have the new mass, now they accept Vatican II. Now it’s a mess. It’s very sad. And good priests…Dr. White told us he saw good priests battling for the Faith. And when this agreement happened, even before the agreement, it was prepared, the priests were already accepting “We have to go under Rome, we have to united with Rome.” They did to the destruction of their Faith…why? Because they forgot the great distinction of our holy founder, who by the way, the greatest theologian in the last 150 years. Archbishop Lefebvre made this very simple distinction which is not being heard anymore from the top of our dear Society. And what is that distinction? That Rome, now, is modernist. Rome now is the Conciliar church. It is a new religion which we refuse to follow because we want to remain Catholic. So the modernist Rome, the Conciliar church, must be distinguished from the Eternal Rome, the Catholic Church of all time. And that’s why we don’t have to worry as the Archbishop said “We’re not worried about being outside the Church. We’re not outside the Church.” You hold the same Faith as our fathers. You hold the same doctrine, the same sacraments, the same devotions, and that can’t change. Even if Catholics, said Saint Athanasius, were reduced to a handful they still remain the True Church of Jesus Christ. And as the Virgin Mary at La Salette warned us those days are coming when the Faith will only be found in pockets throughout the world. Farmhouses, families, little missions, little parishes…and we see, we see how this is very possible now. We see this whole new orientation since July of this year that our dear leaders want to make this agreement. They’re saying it’s not going to happen now, it’s not going to happen yet but they want it and that’s what is wrong. We cannot desire a peace treaty with the enemies of Jesus Christ. They are destroying the Faith and taking millions of souls to hell at the hands of bishops and priests, and with great, great sadness by the Pope himself. The Holy Father should hold high the light of the Catholic Faith but what did he do in Assisi just a year ago? You know what he did. Before the whole world, invited an atheist, with all these Buddhists, Muslims, Anglicans, you name it, they were all there. Voodooists. Satanists. An atheist who publicly said “I want to thank Pope Benedict XVI for inviting me to Assisi to represent the non-believers.”

How could the Pope if he had the Catholic Faith and knows the First Commandment, you boys serving Mass, you little boys and kids out there, what’s the First Commandment, you know—There’s only One God and no false gods before Me. And when we see the Pope himself and with his fellow cardinals and bishops, everyone being silent and trampling on Almighty God, the First Commandment, the whole Catholic world should react against this, especially the Society of Saint Pius X! And even there we had a weak resistance which tells you something is seriously wrong from the top. I smell Freemasonry. God knows.

They are saying Benedict XVI is changing. They are saying that things are different than from 1988 in Rome. They are saying that we cannot make a Vatican II superheresies. So we gotta ask three questions:

1.Why did the Society of Saint Pius X get founded in the first place? Why does it exist ?

2. what’s the difference between Rome and the Society of Saint Pius X and this so-called separation of forty-two years now?

And, 3. has Rome really changed ?

First, why the Society of Saint Pius X in the first place, why do we exist ? It’s to protect, to keep, the mustard seed in our souls, so you can save your soul and not go to hell. And what is the first attack at Vatican II—it is an attack leveled at the roots, the Faith itself is attacked. It’s not a question of just changing the vestments and turning the Mass around to face the people. Although that’s bad enough. But it’s the Faith, Jesus Christ, His Divinity, His Kingship, the whole Faith is under attack. And that’s why Archbishop Lefebvre said we cannot go with this and you can, I say, I beg you, don’t just read the great declaration of 1974. Don’t just read it—pray it. Meditate it. Get it in your blood. Because it is our defense. It is our declaration of war against the enemies of Christ. I’ll quote a little bit from it for your patience : We hold fast, with all our heart and with all our soul, to Catholic Rome, Guardian of the Catholic faith and of the traditions necessary to preserve this faith, to Eternal Rome, Mistress of wisdom and truth. We refuse, on the other hand, and have always refused to follow the Rome of [here’s the distinction] neo-Modernist and neo-Protestant tendencies which were clearly evident in the Second Vatican Council and, after the Council, in all the reforms which issued from it.

And he goes to describe these reforms rooted in modern philosophy, in liberalism, condemned many years ago by Saint Pius X and Pius IX. And then he goes on to say “No authority” because back then the priests and the faithful were told “You must obey” and the most obedient pastors to their bishops were telling the faithful “I don’t like this new mass, I don’t like it, but I have to obey.” And they obeyed and by the obedience they destroyed many souls and many Catholics lose their faith by false obedience. How many nuns, how many priests, because they were obedient lost their faith, changed their habits, threw out their rosaries and crucifixes, and joined with the world?

"No authority , not even the highest in the hierarchy, can force us to abandon or diminish our Catholic Faith, so clearly expressed and professed by the Church’s Magisterium for nineteen centuries."

And he quotes the great Saint Paul :"But though we or an angel from heaven preach a gospel to you besides that which we have preached to you, let him be anathema." Let him be condemned. If a priest, a bishop, even a Pope, preaches a doctrine different than Catholic tradition, don’t listen to him. Keep the faith and oppose. And if you are called disobedient and a rebel and non-conforming “Blessed are you” Our Lord says “when they revile you for My Sake.” You fathers who want to raise your children and keep the faith and you good mothers, we must fight. We have no choice. God put us now in these days and that’s why these priests, these pockets of priests, up to about thirty and more, throughout the world in the Society of Saint Pius X are resisting, are speaking out because we see this terrible calamity on the Society. The Society of Saint Pius X is the last bastion of the Faith. It’s the last framework standing up. It’s the last column of soldiers fighting and if that crumbles we’ll see fire from Heaven very soon. I quote the Archbishop, the declaration ’74: “Is it not this that the Holy Father is repeating to us today? And if we can discern a certain contradiction in his words and deeds, as well as in those of the dicasteries, well we choose what was always taught and we turn a deaf ear to the novelties destroying the Church.” And then he goes on, and he says right in the middle, what we should be doing, what our dear Bishop Fellay should be preaching at every place he visits, he should be repeating these words over and over again. Here they are: “The only attitude of faithfulness to the Church and Catholic doctrine, in view of our salvation, is a categorical refusal to accept this Reformation.”

And that also means any soft-worded agreements that will move us to take an agreement, to come under these destroyers of the Faith. Bishop Fellay used to speak strongly . Maybe we haven’t sanctified our soul enough, maybe we haven’t done enough penance to allow this to happen for our leaders. So, why the SSPX? The Faith first. Then the priesthood, then salvation of the true Mass, and then to save your souls.

So, second question, what’s the difference between Rome and the SSPX that there’s been this separation for forty years ? Well it’s very clear the Archbishop told Cardinal Ratzinger who was this Pope now, he told him in very clear words. He didn’t try to use confusing language to make Rome smile and think we think like them. It’s not true. He was very clear. Here’s what he told the cardinal: “You are working to de-Christianize society. You are working to uncrown Christ the King, the human person in the Church. And we, the Society of Saint Pius X and traditional Catholics throughout the world we are working to Christianize them. We cannot get along together. Rome has lost the Faith, my dear friends, Rome is in apostasy. I am not speaking empty words; that is the truth.”

And the proof of Rome’s loss of the Faith, he almost hit it every week, this Pope has visited a mosque, in 2006 faced Mecca, did not make the sign of the cross, he took his shoes off and faced Mecca, praying with those Muslims. A horrible scandal, going into a mosque, to synagogues, praying with the Jews, who refuse Jesus Christ. The Jews reject Jesus Christ. And we cannot pray with the Jews; we must pray for the Jews to convert to Jesus Christ. This Pope, all his efforts towards ecumenism, Assisi III of course, which was a disaster, worse than Assisi I and Assisi II because he appears as the “conservative Pope” and deceiving many. And many think because he released the Tridentine Mass that’s he’s a conservative and he’s making gestures towards tradition. It’s not true. It’s very subtle, very sneaky.

He expressed at the beginning of his pontificate as John Vennari put in his Catholic Family News that quote in his headlines that he has successfully made traditional communities fall towards Vatican II. And they’re working at us causing division, by causing dissention, by ambiguous terminology, by pulling the leaders towards this false agreement. And Rome doesn’t want the Faith right now. It has not changed. Rome has not changed. In the name of religious liberty they have tore off from Catholic countries, from Columbia, Spain, Ireland, Philippines in ’92, Italy in 1984, tore off, ripped out Jesus Christ from the constitutions. And this promoted by the Vatican itself. And then a year ago in October two weeks after Assisi the Vatican called for a one-world government, a one-world authority, a one-world banking system. What does that sound like? Saint Pius X said a hundred years ago that the Anti-Christ is not far off. And when the men of the church are preparing [for] him, that is very frightening.

So the difference is the Faith. That’s what separates us from Modern Rome. We want to keep the Catholic Faith; they want to destroy it. And nothing has changed. Has Rome changed ? Absolutely not.

This is Dom Flichtman, a Benedictine in Brazil, a friend of Dom Thomas Aquinas. He said these words “I said in 1988 to Dom Gerard what I repeated to you today. Thousands of faithful anxiously wait for you, Dom Gerard [who made a compromise and agreement with Rome in 1988 and they accepted the new mass five years later]. We wait for you to confirm them in the Catholic Faith in the combat that Divine Providence requires of us without our succumbing to fatigue, weakness, or the siren song of legality. What Our Lord requires is, this is for us, all of us, what Our Lord requires is martyrdom, endured drop by drop, and a clear and simple profession of the Catholic Faith, without compromising with the modernists in the Vatican. The Pope, yes. Legality, yes. But above all, respond to God’s clear call to the combat of the Faith.”

The day the Pope really converts there will appear more clearly than the light of day obviously, it’s not by kissing the Koran and by going to pray in a mosque that he manifests this conversion. And we await, we pray, we fight for the conversion of Rome. That has not happened. It is far, far from it and that’s why now dear faithful and Society priests must speak out . And the Virgin Mary complained in Quito, she warned about these days:

“And the sanctuary light will be extinguished When the faith would be lost at the very highest parts of the church and many, many souls would be lost and virginity, purity will be almost unknown”, she said. “Priests will be worldly and not speak out against error.” She says this three times in the apparitions “Priests will not speak out when they should speak out.” And bishops. This is why this situation now. We have to speak out against a false compromise. We must speak up for all the Popes of tradition. Us priests are bound by our Anti-Modernist Oath to speak out , to uphold the position of our dear founder against the slippery compromise, and the steps thereto.

Already silencing is taking place. Fewer sermons speaking against Vatican II, against modernism, against liberalism. The sheep are being invaded by the wolves. Whose fault will it be? It will be the priests who did not speak up.

And you dear faithful, it’s not your place to preach from pulpits, I know. But you fathers, you teach in your home. Foster the Faith, first by example, by the love and cherishing of your dear wife, not to talk down at her like a rug. Hold her high and you’ll teach your boys how to respect and how to love properly the woman who is being torn down to the mud today. The father has to set this example. The good mother is you, foster the Faith in your home by loving obedience, by your cheerful teaching of the Faith in the smallest things. Johnny scratches his knee, teach him the children of Fatima’s secret to sanctity—offer it to God for souls. So simple. And to see all in the eyes of the Faith. Make the Mass the heart of our life and the Catechism to teach it but not in a boring way but in a way to each child, adaptable for them to comprehend and to absorb and memorize and get it in their heart and blood.

So let us turn to the Virgin Mary to surrender the garden of our souls to her, that she weed out our sins, help us root out our sins, and especially guard against false ideas, false liberal ideas, that why you have to read the Archbishop Lefebvre. Read the encyclicals of the great Popes so that the mustard seed in our soul may grow. In your soul, virtue and the charity of God might grow. The Church, the Catholic Church, which will revive again after whatever chastisement God unleashes on this wicked world that mocks Him. The Church will revive. That little mustard seed that you are guarding and taking care of now will blossom again, and the Catholic Church will blossom again with martyrs, with saints, and good and holy mothers and fathers and children.

Let’s keep our rosary everyday. That is our weapon in these days.

O Mary conceived without sin pray for us who have recourse to thee.

In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost, Amen.
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre