St. Justin: Diologue with Trypho
ST. JUSTIN MARTYR
DIALOGUE WITH TRYPHO

Chapter 1. Introduction

While I was going about one morning in the walks of the Xystus, a certain man [Trypho], with others in his company, met me.

Trypho: Hail, O philosopher!

And immediately after saying this, he turned round and walked along with me; his friends likewise followed him.

Justin: What is there important?

Trypho: I was instructed by Corinthus the Socratic in Argos, that I ought not to despise or treat with indifference those who array themselves in this dress but to show them all kindness, and to associate with them, as perhaps some advantage would spring from the intercourse either to some such man or to myself. It is good, moreover, for both, if either the one or the other be benefited. On this account, therefore, whenever I see any one in such costume, I gladly approach him, and now, for the same reason, have I willingly accosted you; and these accompany me, in the expectation of hearing for themselves something profitable from you.

Justin: (In jest.) But who are you, most excellent man?

Then he told me frankly both his name and his family.

Trypho: Trypho, I am called; and I am a Hebrew of the circumcision, and having escaped from the war lately carried on there I am spending my days in Greece, and chiefly at Corinth.

Justin: And in what would you be profited by philosophy so much as by your own lawgiver and the prophets?

All 142 Chapters can be found here:  St. Justin dialogue with Trypho