In Memoriam - Anniversary of the Passing of Archbishop Lefebvre
[Image: 6058ea9a-6633-441d-8c20-39d2de193d7b.jpg]

Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre
Nov 29, 1905 - Mar 25, 1991

Today [March 25, 2021] is the 30th Anniversary of the Archbishop's holy passing; when His Grace gave back to God his heroic and pure soul. According to his request, those famous words of St. Paul were engraved on his tombstone: Tradidi quod et accepi - “I handed on what I received.”  We pray that our beloved Founder intercede for his Priestly Fraternity and inspire more of his true sons to stand firm and resist the compromising new direction of the Conciliar-SSPX. Source

✠ ✠ ✠

The Angelus - September 1999

ARCHBISHOP LEFEBVRE IN MEMORIAM 
[PART 2; PART 1 appears to be unavailabe online]
by Rev. Fr. Michel Simoulin

[Image: In_Memorium_A.jpg]

This account of the last days of Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre was written by Fr. Michel Simoulin, who was at the time rector of the Society's seminary in Ecône, Switzerland. It is taken from Les Cahiers de Controverses, No. 1. It has been translated from the original French and appears for the first time in English.

Friday, March 15. In the afternoon the Archbishop was taken to Monthey for the scan. They had planned to take him by car, but the Archbishop preferred to go in an ambulance, since it would be easier, especially with the IV stand. "The chauffeur was from Martinique. You should have seen it! I had to hold on tight in the turns...like with Fr. R., but at least we didn't waste any time." That evening, having returned from Montalenghe, I brought him Communion with Fr. G., one of our young priests who came for the ordinations tomorrow. The Archbishop was in bed. After Communion he told us to sit down. He had a big smile, springing from remembered adventures with one of his turbulent sons, who came to be known throughout Valais as "the Cardinal." They exchanged some thoughts on the priesthood and the difficulties he was encountering in the apostolate, notably with families on the subject of education.

The Archbishop's disposition towards his own case is the same: indifference and confidence in Divine Providence. He was having trouble with his intravenous tubes, which were causing edemas. It was necessary to change the arm, and one unskilled nurse did not know how to insert the tube. An anesthetist came while we were there and gently placed the tube into the vein of the right hand. I told him, "You have tough veins!" "No, on the contrary. It seems that they are too fine and delicate! Do you realize...for a bishop of iron! The fluid passes through the vein into the tissue. Now they no longer know where to stick me." The Archbishop, who did not wish to offend anyone, apologized to the anesthetist for seeming to be critical: "I do not reproach her, but she has injured my arm," he said, showing the small hematoma caused by the clumsy nurse. Before our departure, the Archbishop blessed us, in spite of the intravenous tubing which encumbered his right hand.

[Image: In_Memorium_B.jpg]

APRIL 29, 1990. Friedrichshafen, Germany. Archbishop Lefebvre had already promised to preach, but, after hesitating, he agreed to officiate. His fatigue disappeared, he remained standing for the entire sermon and its translation. "Fortunately," he said, "I had my third leg! Without my crozier, I would never have made it."

Saturday, March 16. At Ecône, it was the day of the ordinations to the subdiaconate. "I am indeed united by prayer to the ordination of the subdeacons," said the Archbishop to Fr. Puga. "It is the first ordination which could not have taken place if you had not given us bishops!" "Yes, indeed. That year, 1988, was a great grace, a blessing from God, a veritable miracle...This is the first time that, being gravely ill, I find myself perfectly at peace. I must admit...I am sorry...but before, when I would fall sick, I was worried that the Society still needed me, that no one could do the work in my place. Now I am at peace; everything is in place and functioning."

That evening it was Fr. C., who had come for ordinations, who brought Communion to our founder. I accompanied him. After Communion, the Archbishop expressed his joy at seeing one of his older priests, and we chatted for a while. The Archbishop spoke humorously as always about his approaching death. "It is better that it be me than another. If it were one of our priests on the circuit, it would be necessary to replace him... This would be quite a job, and our poor Superior General would have more problems. But, as for me...there is no need to replace me, I have nothing more to do. All is in order and I am of no use any more! It is true...I am good for nothing. So then, it will be off to the vault with him, and no one will talk about him any more." At the moment of parting, the Archbishop apologized for not having his ring for us to kiss...so we kissed his hand.

Sunday, March 17. The doctors have decided to operate on the Archbishop on Monday if the anesthetist, who should see the Archbishop today, gives his approval. The surgeon left it up to him to decide and would operate only if he deemed the Archbishop's system and heart could tolerate the shock of an operation.

Again at the same hour, I took him Communion, accompanied by one of the older subdeacons ordained yesterday. This was to be the last Communion of our founder, who received sitting. The Archbishop seemed tired. His face, showing suffering on our arrival, showed relief after Communion. After his thanksgiving, he bade us to sit down. He addressed words of congratulations to our subdeacon, telling him that yesterday he had prayed for them. He confirmed the operation to us. The anesthetist had found no contra-indication and it would take place at 9:00 a.m. The Archbishop was very resigned. "Let the good Lord take me, if He wills." "But we are all praying for the opposite." "We shall see who wins...I didn't dare tell Dr. Tornay, but I wanted to tell him that if he wished to obtain worldwide renown, and to have his name in all the newspapers, he need only leave me on the table." "Indeed, but it could have an adverse affect upon his practice." "Yes, that's true." All this banter was punctuated by the Archbishop's mirthful laughter.

The Archbishop spoke again of his difficulties with the nurses in inserting the intravenous tube. This evening it is placed in his shoulder; fortunately, the Archbishop has his "crosier" (that is what he called the IV stand on which the bags and tubes are suspended) and that enables him to move about without too much trouble.

He recalled the gift which had been brought to him and what he planned to do with it. "We shall drink the brandy together when I return to the seminary, and I will give the chocolates to Fr. Puga. He'll distribute them to the nurses. He knows the whole group, and he will know to whom to give them." We speak a little of the Society, the future priests, of their nominations. The Archbishop could not help but jest a little on this subject. He asked if there were news of our Sisters dispersed to the four corners of the world. We finally asked the Archbishop to bless us and we left him to rest in order to be ready for the surgery. Before Compline, we recited the Litany of the Saints for the Archbishop.

[Image: In_Memorium_C.jpg]

NOVEMBER 29, 1990 Ecône, Switzerland. Group photo of seminarians and guests on the occasion of Archbishop Lefebvre's 85th birthday.

Monday, March 18. "When the doctor told me to count to ten, just before I fell asleep, I made a huge sign of the cross...and then...nothing. Then I woke up and asked, "The surgery is off?" "But M. Lefebvre, it is over!" he replied. That is how the Archbishop recounted his surgery.

About 10:45 a.m., a telephone call was received from Nathalie B. "The Archbishop is leaving the operating room. All went well and he is awakening nicely." Deo Gratias. I immediately informed the seminary and the Mother House. The Archbishop was moved to Intensive Care. The surgeon had removed a tumor the size of a grapefruit. It appeared to be benign, but we must await the pathology report. Visitation to the Archbishop was very limited and was made by Fr. Puga twice a day. The Archbishop was exhausted by the operation, but he smiled behind his mask and tried to communicate, though he could not sustain a conversation. Some daily worries and some difficulty regulating his cardiac rhythm would mark his first days, but all returned to normal, little by little.

Wednesday, March 20. At 2:00 p.m. I made a short visit to the Archbishop. The gastric tube and the mask rendered his talk almost unintelligible, but his smile was well visible and the word "thanks" was clear on his lips. He asked if we had the pathologist's report yet, if it was cancer. The doctors and nurses were optimistic and tried to calm his fears. Fr. Puga got excited on his visit that evening when the Archbishop was difficult to rouse. The Archbishop seemed in distress. He complained of backache and headache. His limbs were badly swollen. He believed that the priest had been called for his last moments. "It is the end, I have a terrible headache; it seems the good Lord is coming to fetch me. I desire ardently to die with some of my priests at my side to recite the prayers for the dying. One cannot refuse me that." The Archbishop passed a bad night because of the wearing off of the pain killers and a problem with edema of the lungs, cardiac weakness and renal difficulties. By morning, the Archbishop called Mr. Grenon, who alerted us. Fr. Puga went to see the Archbishop, who was again in distress (result of cardiac difficulties), believing that they were keeping the priests from coming to see him. The presence of Father reassured him, and the Archbishop gradually calmed down. When Father was leaving, the Archbishop had brightened up. By 1:00 p.m. the Archbishop was very calm, peaceful and suffering less.

March 21, Thursday evening. The Archbishop was sitting up in bed. He has found his optimism and moral strength. The gastric tube was removed and a transfer back to the surgery ward was foreseen. The Archbishop looked forward to returning to his Room 213. But he is still very feeble. As long as he is stretched out, he finds himself feeling well, but when he lifts himself, he realizes that he is still very sick and unable to maneuver, and he speaks less of going back to his room. The possibility of the seminarians taking turns keeping him company one by one was mentioned, but it would not be easy; it would have to wait. "That was the biggest surgery of my life, but it's over! I believe that it is not for this time...what is necessary now is that the area not get infected."

Friday, March 22nd. We learned yesterday that the Archbishop lost his appeal on the case brought against him by LICRA [which had charged His Grace with racism], but we do not speak of this to him. Rather, we make plans for the future, and the Archbishop's convalescence (a chalet, Italy...) but the Archbishop said to Fr. Puga: "When I leave here, you buckle me up!" It was to Ecône that the Archbishop wished to return, where he could be protected from importunate visits. The Archbishop asked that he be given his chain with his medals, his watch and his hearing aid. But it was not possible to put the watch on his wrist, so it was hung on the rail of his bed before his eyes. The Archbishop seemed more and more tired, spoke little and seemed more aware how little strength he had; the doctors, however, were optimistic...

Saturday, March 23rd. 2:00 p.m. I brought Fr. Ph. L. with me. The Archbishop seemed surprised at our presence and we sensed that he was troubled. Things cleared up when we realized that the Archbishop, deceived by the semi-darkness and his interrupted sleep, believed that it was 2:00 in the morning. He spoke of the painful and humiliating cares imposed upon him. He told us of his exhaustion at the least amount of effort. His hands were still swollen with edema. Having told him that we were in Passion week, the Archbishop closed his eyes and repeated: "Yes, it is the passion!..."

I reported that I had told the seminarians that he was offering all for them, for the Society, for the Church; he nodded his head: "Yes, it is true!" He told us of the great news and the great joy; he was served a bowl of coffee with milk! We reminded him finally of moving back up to his room and the perspective of being able to bring him Our Lord: "Yes, that I miss... I have need of Him...that will give me strength." We left the Archbishop, who smiled at us with emotion and warmth. Although medically the Archbishop seemed better, he appeared to us to be more and more fatigued, aware of coming to terms with a long suffering and the happy sweetness of coming to the end.

Saturday evening. The pathology report was communicated to us by Dr. Tornay himself. He was dismayed: the test results showed it was cancerous. Fr. Puga did not have the heart to tell the Archbishop. The Archbishop was less well, aching, but very lucid and very much at peace. He spoke to Fr. Puga about the last conference that he (Fr. Puga) was going to give tomorrow in Paris for Lent, and Father told him about the telephone call of Cardinal Oddi to the Abbé du Chalard. The Archbishop said nothing; he seemed indifferent. It concerned declarations of Cardinal Gagnon to the magazine Thirty Days, according to which he did not know if the Pope had read his report, and he had not found doctrinal error at Ecône. The Archbishop shrugged his shoulders. "One day the truth will be known...I do not know when, God knows, but it will happen." Until the end, our founder's mind was not troubled in the least by any doubt of the justice of his cause.

[Image: In_Memorium_D.jpg]

DECEMBER 2, 1990 Laying the cornerstone for the new building of the Carmel at Cremières.

Sunday, March 24. Palm Sunday. Towards 1:30 p.m. I called Mr. Grenon to learn if the Archbishop had been transferred back to his room in order to bring him Holy Communion. Several moments later, Mr. Grenon called me back, very shaken. He went to see the Archbishop, who was not doing well at all; he had been observed in Intensive Care. I rushed to the hospital and found the Archbishop very agitated, feverish and suffering. The Archbishop had a terrible rise in temperature (104°) and he had auricular fibrillation. The dosage of antibiotics had been modified to try to bring the fever down, and it was necessary to wait before making a decision. The Archbishop smiled sweetly when I told him how much I was distressed for not understanding. I spoke to him of the ceremonies of the morning, and he followed my words with attention and interest. I told him that his brother Michael had been alerted because of my concern and that he would arrive tomorrow to see him. The joy sparkled in his eyes. The Archbishop tried again to articulate his thanks and smiled as much as he could. I told him how many prayers, Masses and sacrifices were being offered around the world for him, to keep him here on earth, and the Archbishop smiled again, closing his eyes as if to say, what he heard was well, but the will of God was clear. One must let it be accomplished without disputing, and, as for himself, he only aspired to its accomplishment.

About 7:00 p.m. I returned to the hospital. The fever had fallen a little, but the Archbishop was failing. The nurse tried to reassure me by saying that things could improve tomorrow... I wished I could believe that! She worked very gently with the Archbishop, regularly moistening his mouth and his very dry lips. The Archbishop could not articulate a word, but he understood what I said to him. I spoke to him of the retreat that he was supposed to be preaching to us, and that he was preaching to us in a manner we had not foreseen; the Archbishop smiled! It was Fr. Ph. L. who had agreed to replace him...and the Archbishop shrugged his eyebrows approvingly! A certain number of Valaisans, among whom were the Archbishop's chauffeurs, were making the retreat with us...and the Archbishop smiled again. Helping a little to arrange his pillows, which supported his arms, I caught sight of the crucifix on the wall and I made a glowing remark about this hospital and its director who placed each sick person under the care of the Redeemer... and the Archbishop very slowly turned his head and his eyes to see the point which I had designated towards his left, then sweetly closed his eyes. I could do no more than be silent, and withdrew.

Returning to the seminary, I received a call from his sister, Marie Theresa, anxious to know if she ought to come; I call Rickenbach anew and the Superior General begged me to call him back and alert him if anything happened during the night. Before Compline, we recited once more the Litany of the Saints...and the night began.

At 11:30 p.m. the telephone rang. Fr. Laroche, faster than I, picked it up. Mr. Grenon had just been informed, and was calling us. The Archbishop had had a cardiac arrest and was being revived. We decided to leave immediately, each in his own car. I tried to call Rickenbach but the ringing was too quiet, and could not pull anyone from sleep. On our arrival at the hospital, about 11:50 p.m., Dr. Tornay, Dr. Schumacher, his assistants and the nurses were around the Archbishop. He was intubated to feed his lungs with oxygen, a cardiac massage had been done and cardiac stimulants were being administered. According to the radio, the doctors thought that he had a pulmonary embolus. He was given maximum treatment to help his systems restart, but no one knew if he could take the relay of the stimulants and continue alone. We were authorized to remain near him and do whatever was necessary, and the nurse who remained with the Archbishop was remarkably attentive. We recited the prayers for the dying. I then asked Fr. Laroche to return to the seminary, wake the community and recite in common the prayers for the dying in the chapel, then try to inform Richenbach, the seminaries, the districts, our sisters, friends of the community, etc., so that everyone could begin praying.

Monday, March 25: It was 1:15 a.m. when the bells of the seminary echoed. After a time of silence the voice of Fr. Laroche was heard: "All the community is asked to meet in the chapel to pray for the Archbishop who is entering his last moments."

At the hospital I remained alone then with our father in the priesthood to accompany him in his agony. Having found in his belongings his rosary, which he was never without during the hospital stay, I recited one rosary, then another... The hours passed slowly and I saw with dismay the indications on the control mechanism, which lessened little by little, meanwhile his breathing became less violent. The nurse came from time to time to regulate the apparatus, to change a sack, a syringe... We exchanged several grieving words. "It is sad not to be able to die at home," she said. I asked her if she knew who this patient was and she nodded her head with a big smile. "You are a privileged one," I said to her. "If I can do something useful," she said, "I would be happy to do so. I would like to remove the plank which is under his shoulders (which had been placed there for cardiac massage) and which is very hard, but I fear it would hasten things." About 2:30 a.m. the slowing down became more and more pronounced. His pulse, which at midnight had been more than 100, had fallen to 60, and the fall accelerated more and more. His breathing also slowed, while his brow was creased by pain. All became peaceful little by little. Towards 3:15 a.m., having said to the nurse that "his soul awaits only one thing, to leave the body which suffers, to rejoin God." She replied, "I believe that it is ready to depart." She went out leaving me alone for the final moments. I began the prayers "in expiration." At precisely the moment when I finished (it was near 3:20 a.m.), our Superior General entered Intensive Care. The dial face showed "00" for pulsations. I handed him the ritual and he repeated the prayers in expiration.

Our Superior General closed the eyes of our beloved father. It was the 25th of March, the day of the sacerdotal ordination of our Savior, Jesus Christ, Eternal and Sovereign Priest, in the womb of His sweet Mother. This date, according to the ancient Martyrologies, was also the date of the death of the Savior. It was between 3:25 and 3:30 a.m.
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre
The Angelus - April 2002

In Memoriam Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre
Part 3

by Eric Bertinat]

[Image: Archbishop_Lefebvre_in_sta.jpg]

Archbishop Lefebvre lying in state in the chapel of Our Lady of the Fields in the seminary of Ecône as the seminarians pray.

On this March 25, it will have been 11 years since the death of Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre.
This account of his Requiem Mass and funeral appears in English for the first time.

Ecône, Monday, March 25. A surprising calm reigned over the seminary. At 3:30 this morning, Monsignor Lefebvre committed "his beautiful soul to the hands of God" as the seminary rector, Fr. Simoulin, posted it on the bulletin board situated at the entrance of the grande chapelle. Neither the professors nor the seminarians seemed distraught. There was no sign of excessive sadness on the faces of the household of Ecône, only this majestic calm perceptible by all those who were to come to the seminary on this day. And yet, professors and seminarians had, since 11:30 p.m., spent the night in prayer to commend to God the soul of their father in the priesthood.

[Image: Lefebvre_grave_marker.jpg]

Archbishop Lefebvre's grave marker

Today was the day of the Feast of the Annunciation, although this solemnity was not celebrated because of Holy Week. How could we not see the visible sign of providence which, on this day when everything began for fallen humanity, took back from us the man who allowed everything to continue despite the ugliness and wickedness of men, and too often of clergymen?

His Excellency, in his eternity, left to us the only heritage that he could–and had–to give us: Tradition, whole and inviolate, along with, to protect it and to propagate it, some 400 priests and seminarians spread through 23 countries. Among the thousands of bishops having received the same mission, only two knew how to perform it: Archbishop Lefebvre and Bishop Antonio de Castro Mayer. The latter would rejoin his old friend in heaven a month later on the same day, on the Feast of St. Mark.

This Monday was a day of great sorrow for the Society of Saint Pius X, yet without excitement, nor any sentimental outpouring, His Excellency has died, his work fully accomplished. This is the reason why, on the contrary, there was almost joy in the hearts of those who were attending to their tasks at the seminary. Many a journalist was to be surprised by it. They did not understand this feeling of finished work, a feeling that was shared more particularly by all those who had the good fortune to come close to His Excellency these last months.

Fr. Simoulin was very tired. Barely a few moments of rest could be taken after the night spent in the hospital of Martigny, attending to His Excellency until his last breath, a night inscribed forever in his memory. But already the planning of the week–an exceptional week–occupied him, but did not preoccupy him....A peerless, praiseworthy plan that would permit thousands of people to come and pay their respects to the mortal remains of His Excellency and to pray in calm and peaceful contemplation for the repose of his soul.

[Image: Archbishop_Lefebvre_Fr_Simoulin.jpg]

Tuesday, March 26. On the day following the death of Archbishop Lefebvre, an uncommon activity prevailed in the seminary. After breakfast, Fr. Simoulin left Ecône, accompanied by two seminarians. They went to the hospital of Sion to prepare His Excellency, and then bring him back to the seminary.

At 2 p.m., the seminarians began assembling in the courtyard of the seminary to go in procession to the foot of the access road that leads to Ecône. The fruit trees beginning to blossom, the snow still covering the mountains, the Feast of Easter in a few days...the two ranks of seminarians, cassocks whipped by a violent wind and praying under a gray sky while awaiting the remains of the founder of their Fraternity, remain so many ever-so distinctive images of this very special afternoon.

Some journalists prowling in the vicinity came to see what was happening; the Suisse-Romande television was also there.

More than one hour passed before the funeral procession appeared on the main road. Once started on the access road to Ecône, the vehicles stopped just before the seminarians. Quite calmly, without haste, the coffin was laid out on a stand. Fr. Simoulin blessed the coffin, surrounded by members of the seminary, with the brother of His Excellency, Michel Lefebvre, and with a few of the faithful, among whom were the chauffeurs of His Excellency, (who would, when their turn came, carry the coffin).

Then, a team of six people carried His Excellency up to the courtyard of the seminary.

[Image: chauffeurs_carry_Lefebvres_coffin.jpg]

The car chauffeurs of His Excellency, aided by Michel Lefebvre, took their turn carrying the coffin.

4 p.m.: The remains of His Excellency entered into the Seminary. How could we forget the apprehension that His Excellency sometimes showed, of not being able to rest after his death here at Ecône, which he loved so much? His chauffeurs well knew....

Then the members of the family, as also some close friends and the seminary were authorized to go to the Chapel of Our Lady of the Fields, on the second floor. I was the only one among the journalists to have permission to go to the chapel. The coffin, still closed, was placed in front of the stand on which his body would lie in state. A few prayers were said; afterwards, we were all invited to withdraw during the time necessary to prepare His Excellency, a time which seemed very long to us. During this wait, numerous faces betrayed the sorrow that everyone kept to themselves.

But, we were among friends....

At 4:25 p.m., Fr. Simoulin came to get us. His Excellency reposed in front of us on the great black cloth which covered the stand on which his body lay in state. He was at the foot of the altar, surrounded by ten candlesticks; at his feet, his coat-of-arms; to his right, his crosier.

The head of His Excellency capped with a white mitre rested on a violet-colored cushion. His face was very handsome, very pale (His Excellency had to take oxygen in his last days). His eyes were slightly open, a slight smile floating from his discolored lips. Around his neck was his pallium, symbol of the plenitude of pontifical power exercised in communion with the Apostolic See, which he had not worn since Dakar. Two benches, one on his right and one on his left were arranged for the members of the clergy. The faithful remained behind in the pews of the chapel. At the exit of the chapel, two visitor books awaited those who desired to express a final written testimonial. The seminarians took turns near the remains of His Excellency during the hours when his body was viewed by the public, that is to say, until Easter Monday.

[Image: Lefebvre_funeral_processionA.jpg]

The funeral procession approached the main seminary building.

Wednesday, March 27. Msgr. Rovida, Apostolic Nuncio to Switzerland, as well as Msgr. Schwery, Bishop of Sion, came to Our Lady of the Fields chapel, and, after having prayed and blessed the body of His Excellency, they simply signed the book of condolences.

Monday, April 1. Dom Gerard, Father Abbot of the monastery St. Madeleine du Barroux, accompanied by two monks, came to turn his thoughts to God for some time in the small mortuary chapel.

At 8:45 p.m., His Excellency was moved from Our Lady of the Fields chapel to the main chapel. Already numerous priests were there as well as the four Bishops consecrated by His Excellency. In great silence, the remains of the Bishop were placed before the altar. On each side the professors and seminarians surrounded him with filial devotion. The Vespers of the Dead were sung with a most characteristic piety. Again this was an unforgettable moment.

[Image: Lefebvre_body_in_chapel.jpg]

The body of Archbishop Lefebvre arrived in the small chapel of Our Lady of the Fields, in the old seminary building where he celebrated his daily Mass.

[Image: Lefebvre_funeral_processionB.jpg]

The Archbishop's body is transferred to the main seminary chapel the day before the funeral for the recitation of Vespers for the Dead.

All night, His Excellency was watched over by the members of the seminaries of Flavigny, Zaitzkofen, and, of course, Ecône, by the priests, the brothers, the nuns (more than 200) and the faithful who were arriving all night long, with only one concern, this last sight that they would have of their Bishop, these last prayers that they would say at his side. The complete office of Matins of the Dead, which comprises three nocturns, was sung. Each nocturn was sung by a different seminary: first, the one of Flavigny, then by the one of Zaitzkofen, and finally, at dawn, by the seminary of Ecône.

Tuesday, April 2. The Funeral Mass. During the night, thousands of faithful arrived at Ecône. By morning, there were more than 10,000 who had come from every corner of Europe as well as from the Americas and from Africa. The parking lot was filled with more than 2,000 cars from nearly every country parked there during the funeral ceremonies. The tent, which could only accommodate about 4,000 people, proved to be much too small, even before the commencement of the ceremony. Only a third of the people were able to find a place under the tent.
[Image: Lefebvre_funeral_tent.jpg]

Beginning at 8:30 a.m. in the court of the seminary, the family, the priests, and the seminarians, as well as monks and nuns from friendly orders surrounded the coffin placed at the foot of the statue of St. Pius X. Also present was Fr. Hyacinth Dione, Chancellor of the Bishop of Dakar, Bishop Thiandoum, who officially attended as his representative.

[Image: Lefebvre_Fr_Dione.jpg]

Fr. Hyacinth Dione, secretary to His Excellency Cardinal Hyacinthe Thiandoum, blessed the remains of Archbishop Lefebvre.

At 8:50 a.m., Fr. Schmidberger left the seminary for the removal of the body: "Come, saints of God, hasten, angels of the Lord. Take his soul and present it before the face of the Most High." Placed behind the coffin were all the superiors of the districts and seminaries of the Society of Saint Pius X.

[Image: Lefebvre_funeral_procession.jpg]
The long procession descended slowly toward the tent erected in the field. Leading the procession were the two lines formed by seminarians, followed by the priests and brothers.
Among them many religious orders were represented: Benedictine, Capuchin, Cistercian, Dominican, and Redemptorist.

[Image: five_absolutions.jpg]

There were the customary five absolutions at the casket. The first was given by Fr. Schmidberger, the second by Bishop Fellay, the third by Bishop de Galaretta,
the fourth by Bishop Williamson, and finally the fifth by Bishop Tissier de Mallerais.

The choir began singing the psalms: De profundis clamavi ad Domine (Out of the depths have I cried unto Thee, O Lord). The procession, that is to say 600 clergymen, set out towards the large tent where more than 15,000 people were gathered in an impressive silence, which was to reign during the entire ceremony. Great respect and great serenity were shown: a dignity that many a journalist would note. The long cortege descended slowly towards the tent erected in the field. In front, the two lines formed by the seminarians in white surplices, who came from the last six seminaries founded by the Bishop, then the priests and brothers, more than 200, came. Among them many orders were represented: Benedictine, Capuchin, Cistercian, Dominican, and Redemptorist.

The Sisters of the Society and the Dominicans teaching at Fanjeaux also attended in great number.

Bringing up the rear of the procession were the Bishops and the Superior of the Society, Fr.Schmidberger. The Pontifical Requiem Mass was celebrated by His Excellency Bishop Tissier de Mallerais, one of the first priests of the Fraternity ordained by Archbishop Lefebvre about 20 years ago.

The ceremony started at 10 a.m., beautiful, full of respect and gratitude, and also admiration for the person who was buried this day: "Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord; and let perpetual light shine upon him," was prayed in the Introit. Then, the choir sang the sequence, Dies irae, dies ilia, reminding us that death is only a passage, a time of rest for the just, although he must submit to the judgment of God.

The homily was given by Rev. Fr. Franz Schmidberger (see pp. 9-13 in this issue).

Then came the five absolutions at the casket. The first was given by Fr. Schmidberger, then the second by Bishop Fellay, the third by Bishop de Galaretta, the fourth by Bishop Williamson, and finally the fifth and last by Bishop Tissier de Mallerais.

As they sang "In paradisum deducant te angeli," the mortal remains of the faithful bishop advanced, carried in his coffin, accompanied by the members of the Society as well as his family. A magnificent and ever-so moving hymn, taken up in turn by the congregation, will remain one of the great moments of this funeral Mass:
Quote:May the angels take you to the heavens, may the Martyrs welcome you and that they open to you the Holy City of Jerusalem. May the choirs of angels greet you, and with Lazarus who, once was poor, may eternal rest be granted to you.

How could one forget the faithful as their eyes followed the coffin that, one last time, passed in front of them? How could we not remember the numerous times Archbishop Lefebvre walked this path as he was blessing us? At each ordination, at the consecrations...

[Image: Lefebvre_before_burial_vaul.jpg]

At last the coffin was placed before the burial vault. A last blessing was given by each member of the family and by each priest: "Eternal rest give to him, O Lord: and let perpetual light shine upon him."

[Image: Lefebvre_funeral_vault.jpg]

Then the mortal remains of His Excellency were taken by a small group inside the vault, where as he desired, they were put to rest.
On the plaque, these few words were inscribed for eternity: Tradidi quod et accepi – I have handed down what I received.

[Image: Lefebvre_funeral_vaultB.jpg]

At last the coffin was placed before the burial vault. A last blessing was given by each member of the family and by each priest:
"Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord: and let perpetual light shine upon him."

Then the mortal remains of His Excellency were taken by a small group inside the vault, where as he desired, they shall rest.On the plaque, these few words are inscribed for eternity: Tradidi quod et accepi.

A page in the history of the Church had turned.
"So let us be confident, let us not be unprepared, let us not be outflanked, let us be wise, vigilant, fighting against those who are trying to tear the faith out of our souls and morality out of our hearts, so that we may remain Catholics, remain united to the Blessed Virgin Mary, remain united to the Roman Catholic Church, remain faithful children of the Church."- Abp. Lefebvre
Today is the thirty-first Anniversary of the passing of the great Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre. 

May the good Lord bless him for his incredible defense of the true Catholic faith!
Today [March 25, 2024] is the 33nd Anniversary of the passing of the great Archbishop Lefebvre. 

Quote:Bishop Tissier de Mallerais:

His entire life was a matter of rendering God love for love: from his priestly vocation at the age of 17 until his death as an excommunicated bishop. Cardinal Oddi, who knew him, said of him: 'He loved the Church too much!' in other words, he carried his love for the Church and Our Lord to an extreme, exposing himself to the most serious ecclesiastical censures, suspension and excommunication, in order to save the priesthood and the permanence of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass in the Church. He followed His divine Master: 'Propter nimiam caritatem qua dilexit nos Deus…': 'On account of the excessive charity with which He has loved us, God…'" (Antiphon of Vespers, January 1). Source.