The Miraculous Novena of Grace of St. Francis Xavier
[Image: 220px-Conversion_of_Paravas_by_Francis_X...n_1542.jpg]

The Miraculous Novena of Grace
March 4 -March 12

Origins of the Novena of Grace to St. Francis Xavier

In Naples in 1633 there lived Fr. Marcello Mastrilli, S.J. He had taken the vow to ask to be assigned to the Japan Mission, then the most difficult; for at that time the Buddhist persecution was most cruel against the Catholic religion and the new form of martyrdom introduced was most excruciating. It was known as the "Pit" for the martyrs were kept hung, head downwards over a volcanic pit from which sulphurous gases and waters welled up. At times the martyrdom was protracted for several days before the victim expired.

The torture was so horrible that in 1633 the Provincial of the Japan Mission Fr. Ferrara after five days of agony over the "Pit" apostatized. But hundreds of others, priests and laymen, Europeans and Japanese in holy emulation reached the martyr's crown through the terrible "Pit".

When the news of the unfortunate Ferrara's apostasy reached Europe, many Jesuits vowed themselves to the Japan Mission to replace their martyred brethren and to atone for the apostate. Marcello Mastrilli was one of them.  (Fr. Ferrara was subsequently reconverted and atoned for his fall by dying a martyr's death over the "Pit" in 1652.)

In December 1633, while waiting for the passage to Japan, Fr. Mastrilli organized on a grand scale the feast of the Immaculate Conception in the College of Naples, putting up for the occasion an elaborate structure that drew the admiration of the whole town. The feast was a stupendous success that helped so much to bring home to the faithful the great privilege of Our Lady, which then was not yet defined as a dogma of the Faith.
The feast over, Fr. Mastrilli was supervising the removal of the temporary structure when a heavy hammer slipped from the hands of a worker and fell with deadly precision on Fr. Mastrilli's head. The injury caused thereby was severe, and Fr. Mastrilli was on the verge of death.

Just when the crisis was on, St. Francis Xavier appeared to Fr.Mastrilli and, bidding him renew the vow to go to Japan, said to him:  "All those who implore my help daily for nine consecutive days, from the 4th to the 12th of March included, and worthily receive the Sacraments of Penance and the Holy Eucharist on one of the nine days, will experience my protection and may hope with entire assurance to obtain from God any Grace they ask for the good of their souls and the glory of God."

The Father arose, instantly cured. So well has the Saint kept this promise that this devotion in his honor became universally known as the Novena of Grace. Its efficacy is not restricted to the dates mentioned. It may be made very appropriately from November 25 -December 3, the Feast of St. Francis Xavier.

HISTORY: The Novena of Grace, which begins March 4th and ends on the 12th, the day of the canonization of St. Francis Xavier, owes its origin to the Saint himself.

PRAYERS FOR NOVENA

PRAYER TO ST. FRANCIS XAVIER
Attributed to Father Marcello Mastrilli, S.J. (17th century)

O SAINT Francis Xavier, well beloved and full of charity, in union with thee, I reverently adore the Majesty of God; and since I rejoice with exceeding joy in the singular gifts of grace bestowed upon thee during thy life, and thy gifts of glory after death, I give Him hearty thanks therefore; I beseech thee with all my heart's devotion to be pleased to obtain for me, by thy effectual intercession, above all things, the grace of a holy life and a happy death.  Moreover, I beg of thee to obtain for me  (here mention the spiritual or temporal favor to be prayed for).  But if what I ask of thee so earnestly doth not tend to the glory of God and the greater good of my soul, do thou, I pray, obtain for me what is more profitable to both these ends. Amen.   Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be.

If, for any reason, the above prayer cannot be said, it will suffice to say five times Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory Be.-----S.C. Ind., March 23, 1904.

PRAYER OF ST. FRANCIS XAVIER FOR THE CONVERSION OF INFIDELS

ETERNAL God, Creator of all things, remember that Thou Alone didst create the souls of infidels, framing them to Thine Own image and likeness; behold, O Lord! how, to Thy dishonor, Hell is daily replenished with them.  Remember, O Lord! Thine Only Son, Jesus Christ, Who suffered for them, most bountifully shedding His Precious Blood: suffer not, O Lord Thy Son and Our Lord to be any longer despised by infidels; but rather, being appeased by the entreaties and prayers of the elect, the Saints, and of the Church, the most blessed spouse of Thy Son, vouchsafe to be mindful of Thy mercy, and forgetting their idolatry and infidelity, cause them also to know Him Whom Thou didst send, Jesus Christ Thy Son, Our Lord, Who is our health, life, and resurrection, through Whom we are freed and saved, to Whom be all glory forever.  Amen.

ST. FRANCIS XAVIER'S HYMN OF LOVE

O GOD, I love Thee for Thyself, and not that I may Heaven gain,
Nor because those who love Thee not, must suffer Hell's eternal pain.
Thou, O my Jesus!  Thou didst me upon the Cross embrace;
For me didst bear the nails and spear and manifold disgrace;
And griefs and torments numberless, and sweat of agony;
E'en death itself-----and all for one who was Thine enemy.
Then why, O blessed Jesus Christ, Should I not love Thee well:
Not for the sake of winning Heaven, or of escaping Hell;
Not with the hope of gaining aught, not seeking a reward;
But, as Thyself hast loved me, O ever-loving Lord?
E'en so, I love Thee, and will love, and in Thy praise will sing;
Solely because Thou art my God and my Eternal King.

(From My Prayerbook, by Fr. Lasance)