Every Day with Saint Francis de Sales - January
Every Day with Saint Francis de Sales

Teachings and Examples from the Life of the Saint by Salesiana Publishers

January 17th (page 17)

Considered in themselves, tribulations certainly cannot be loved, but considered in their origin, namely in the Providence of the Divine Will which has brought them about, they are to be loved with an infinite love. Just consider Moses’ staff:  laid on the ground, it was a ferocious serpent; in the hands of Moses it was a wonder-working wand.  In like manner, tribulations in themselves are terrible, but considered as a manifestation of the will of God they are indications of love and delight.  Likewise, love either removes the harshness of the trial or renders it lovable.

(T.L.G. Book 3, Ch. 2; O. V, pp. 112-113)

On January 17th, Francis de Sales had preached several times a eulogy of Saint Anthony the abbot, chosen by him, along with other saints, as a protector of his interior desert.  “And in this desert,” he used to say, “I want to remain alone with God, while in the midst of men, and all the busyness that surrounds me.  And why should I be distracted by men, when this saintly hermit was not distracted by whole legions of devils who attacked him while at prayer?  It will be our fault if we do not become saints . . . Saint Anthony sanctified himself in the midst of devils, so why cannot I sanctify myself among men, among Christians and souls consecrated to God?”

(A.S. I, p. 414)

On a certain January 17th, Sister Jean Benigne Gojos, a lay sister of the Visitation, saw in an apparition Saint Francis de Sales in glory.  “His head,” she said, “was surrounded by a blazing light on which were marked the names of his daughters, some like precious stones and others like shining stars.  The brilliance of the most dazzling did not detract anything from the less dazzling.  How perfectly beautiful they seemed, a beauty that was reflected from their good father!  How happy the father appeared, seeing his daughters saved and glorified!  I then saw how his holy wish had been granted when he called them his mantle of honor, his joy and his crown.”

(A.S. I, p. 414)

Even virtues can be loved too much, and with too much love they are lost.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Every Day with Francis de Sales for January - by Hildegard of Bingen - 01-17-2021, 01:30 PM